Tiffany's 400G build thread

tangs rule

IME - velvet is rare too - like jeff442 said - but sadly it's very VERY fast at killing fish, and copper is only somewhat effective. IME formalin is the best treatment for it and a cupramine&formalin combo works even better - but dosages of each must be done very carefully - and while there is a copper test - there is none for formalin.....Unfortunately - I've had a pretty low survivability rate with any treatment for velvet, as once fishes are showing heavy signs of the parasite, they are already so damaged that the velvet will get them all within 24-36 hours - even if removed from teh DT and treated. I've had velvet wipeout every fish infected within 24 hours of confirmation via microscope
I HOPE it's something else!!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanyk http:///t/388213/tiffanys-400g-build-thread/420#post_3466188
something is in my DT. Everyone came down with velvet? I guess the scratching wasnt just a random thing. So far i've got blue, CT, Dogface, 1 yellow in QT. Just cant catch the other brats yet. This really sucks. Symptoms are clowdy eyes, and looks like white powder on them. The yellow has something going on with his fins also. Hope I dont have a secondary thing going on. So treat Velvet with copper correct? what if its velvet and fin rot? how would you treat both? just curious if a fish could catch two different things at once. I have no idea where this came from. Guess I didnt see signs of anything wrong when I added Dog. I'm so new when It comes to fish getting sick. I always QT and have only had 1 outbreak with Ich two years ago.
I had this happen to my tank full of fish once, only my sandsifting goby survived...I had a cold and had used the puffs with lotion, then I handled the rock in the tank looking for a bobbit worm. Do you always rinse your hands real good before you mess with the tank? Just tossing out ideas here, since that was the cause in mine.

tiffanyk

let me try and take some pictures. I did put mardel's copper into the tanks and now it seems as if they are shedding their slime coat off.

tiffanyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388213/tiffanys-400g-build-thread/440#post_3466271
I had this happen to my tank full of fish once, only my sandsifting goby survived...I had a cold and had used the puffs with lotion, then I handled the rock in the tank looking for a bobbit worm. Do you always rinse your hands real good before you mess with the tank? Just tossing out ideas here, since that was the cause in mine.
ya know flower i do recall not washing my hands one time when I was in the sump...I never thought it could be from that but maybe? =(

tiffanyk

I honestly have 0 clue what it could be. I'm sure then if it was velvet they would be all dead by now so that's ruled out. Brook is ruled out correct since they were never around an infected clown fish? so if it is a combo of ich and lympho what should I use to treat?
Thanks you all for the advice and support!

tiffanyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/388213/tiffanys-400g-build-thread/440#post_3466302
Don't rush it in the qt. Uv sterilizers do a good job of helping get rid of ich. Uv doesn't kill it though.
I won't rush it..These are my kids. I have 3 QT tanks, only 2 set up right now, getting the last one set up this weekend, I just have to keep a few of them by themselves. I have a large UV for my DT that's not set up. I guess I could do that too while all fishies are in QT.

tiffanyk

On top of my fish being sick, my horse is very ill too =(..... this is not my month. Oh and I have midterms all week followed by 16 hours of class this weekend. Karma is pissed at me! I better win the lottery after all this down pour!
okay I feel a lot better venting!

kiefers

I am so sorry your having to go through all this crap Tiff, that realy adds onto the stress level. I'll get a shot and toast it to ya.

tirtza

:( Sorry to hear about all of the trouble you are going through. I just don't understand how they can get sick out of no where....I can totally see why you are confused. I don't have any experience with hospital tanks, how are you treating them?

kiefers

sorry for the delay. Droe straight through to Orlando and I just woke up. Wow.... my butt is still knumb. I would go talk to beth or Spanko.