unions

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2875473
All hail the mighty snow shoveler... he contributes the most to society..

Another one of those situations of lament for not going to college and trying to "one up or show up" those that did.

LOL or it could just be a matter of resentment and disdain from those with a college degree making less money and having less benefits for doing what they deem manial.
On the other hand ,i have an education and choose to work for a living.

gmann1139

Wow - I didn't expect this thread to be so one-sided.
I'm another engineer who has spent time in both shops. I've worked in a union shop for an extended period of time, and spent time in others. At this point, when I interview for a job, I ask if they have a union, if they do, I politely decline.
I have yet to see a union that has 'the company's best interests in mind.' Organized labor encourages people to be mediocre, not excellent. Its the same reason communism didn't work. If people don't have to work harder to get ahead, they won't.
As far as the building (i.e., carpentry, electrical) unions go, I don't have much experience there, so I'm not going to comment on their necessity or usefulness; however, knowing the safety records of those industries, as well as the logistics involved in scheduling, I can see where unions could still be necessary.
As far as the third field, our dedicated civil servants and teachers... Those unions are just money-grubbing cabals that keep any real educational reform from happening at the national, state, or local level.
I used to drive by one of the teachers' union's buildings near Albany (there's two teacher's unions in NY). The building was... impressive. Disgustingly so.
And unfortunately, since once my wife gets her master's and start to work in a school complaining about them will make me a hypocrite, I have to get my shots in now, before brand me with the barcode.

zsqure

The only thing I will say is that "My cousin and his father work for GM in Parma. Both have commented on the fact they have a place to hide and take a nap." The UAW (or its members) had better wake up the gravy train is over, it's been abused long enough.

tangman99

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/2875524
The only thing I will say is that "My cousin and his father work for GM in Parma. Both have commented on the fact they have a place to hide and take a nap." The UAW (or its members) had better wake up the gravy train is over, it's been abused long enough.

There are countless stories of GM workers making statements like that. My wifes family had many people that worked and retired from Ford. There is a reason auto workers are a big family tradition. There isn't anywhere else you can come out of high school and make that kind of money. With those salaries, they can no longer compete.
I love the UAW guy on TV trying to convince everyone that they were using this an excuse to go after the Union. That's like saying the cops are using the excuse of drug problems to go after the drug dealers.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2875508
LOL or it could just be a matter of resentment and disdain from those with a college degree making less money and having less benefits for doing what they deem manial.
On the other hand ,i have an education and choose to work for a living.

Are you familiar with Millwrights?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2875637
Are you familiar with Millwrights?
Yes ,its covered under my Union.Chicago Regional Council of Carpenters:
Carpenters,Millwrights,Stair Builders,Lathers,Bridge and Dock Carpenters,Divers,Pile Drivers,Wood and Resilient Floor Installers,Carpet Installers,Shinglers,Siders,Insulators,Acoustic and Drywall Installers,Show,Display and exhibition Workers,Terrazzo Finishers and Granite Cutters.

ironeagle2006

I look at Unions this way. My father was a Temaster and CROSSED the Picket lines to make sure his family could EAT in the 70's BECAUSE HE DID THAT THE TEAMSTERS AND THEIR MOB BUDDIES TOOK HIS RIGHTFULLY EARNED PENSION AWAY FROM HIM. In the trucking Industry Yellow roadway Freight are having Finacial problems BIG TIME. They went to the Union aka Teamsters to ask for them to Give back some of their wages and benefits in exchange for getting 15% of the PREFERRED VOTING STOCK in the COmpany. The Motion was DEFEATED. YEllow is losing 4 million a week due to low freight and poor rates yet the Teamsters refuse to help them out to SAVE THE COMPANY. THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE UAW AT GM AND CHRYSLER. The Last company that the Teamsters refused to help out at all when they were in trouble was Consolidated Freightways THEY WENT TOTALLY UNDER AND CLOSED UP EVERYTHING. Alot of their drivers in my area went to work for a Small LTL NON UNION COMPANY a couple years ago the Teamsters tried to get them to go UNION NOT ONE OF THE DRIVERS MECHANICS OR OFFICE WORKERS VOTED FOR THE UNION. Why you are going to ask the old owner when he won the State Senate seat to avoid any Conflict of Interest SOLD THE COMPANY TO HIS EMPLOYEES LOCK STOCK AND BARRELL THE ENTIRE COMPANY. They get a percentage of the profits in realtion to how long they have been there and it would have been stupid for them to have the UNION neogotiate with the owners since THEY ARE THE OWNERS.

ironeagle2006

From what I have heard from a few buddies he was fed threw a chipper in the middle of lake Michigan. When the lake thawed out he became FISH CHOW.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/2875695
From what I have heard from a few buddies he was fed threw a chipper in the middle of lake Michigan. When the lake thawed out he became FISH CHOW.
Every few years the Feds are digging up someones back yard or field or busting up concrete or looking under neath the end-zone at Giants stadium..........Who knows he might be in the Caribbean drinking Bahama Mommas.

t316

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2875471
Im old school though, thats some lame garbage to sound tough. And no matter how man enough you are when trying to negotiate a raise it will still take the company about 1 second to say no. Because in a good economy or a bad one there is always some one beating down the door for your job. Except for very specialized jobs its more cost effective to hire someone and give a bit of training. Because with alot of companies if you leave because of not getting any sort of raise then they will hire the next guy for smaller salary. Meaning you did them a favor. And if you dont think this happens everyday you are as big of a fool as you sound.
So I'm a fool, or at least sound like one, and I'm trying to sound 'tough'?

I don't see it this way, but thank you for your uplifting comments.

tangman99

Guys,
Just a request. Can we have a discussion without putting other people down? I mean how you get someone saying he is out removing snow so we can get to work is trying to sound better than everyone and coming back with people that don't have college eductions and implying people are stupid does nothing to enhance or add to the discussion. It seems like everytime we get into a discussion involving politics or religion or anything controversial, it becomes a personal attack on someone which is why many boards ban any subjects around politics and religion.
Just a suggestion. Value of advice worth price charged.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2875459
well if we didnt get to work your salary wouldnt get paid... your post seems a bit holier than thou...
ok I lied, I will answer your post. If my post came over as "holier then thou" that was not my intended goal. More of a union or not we are out in the mix whether we like it or not. When the roads are just getting icy or snow covered we have to drive into work to get our trucks up and start the snow removal process. It can be dangerous but like I said, union or not it’s the job we choose to do.
I do agree that some unions have crippled companies, while some are still good. in this economical crises that we are facing a common goal should be the main objective of job protection and the companies financial strength. Unfortunately that is not the mind set of some unions.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2875758
Guys,
Just a request. Can we have a discussion without putting other people down? I mean how you get someone saying he is out removing snow so we can get to work is trying to sound better than everyone and coming back with people that don't have college eductions and implying people are stupid does nothing to enhance or add to the discussion. It seems like everytime we get into a discussion involving politics or religion or anything controversial, it becomes a personal attack on someone which is why many boards ban any subjects around politics and religion.
Just a suggestion. Value of advice worth price charged.

bang guy

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2875770
ok I lied, I will answer your post. If my post came over as "holier then thou" that was not my intended goal. More of a union or not we are out in the mix whether we like it or not. When the roads are just getting icy or snow covered we have to drive into work to get our trucks up and start the snow removal process. It can be dangerous but like I said, union or not it’s the job we choose to do.
I do agree that some unions have crippled companies, while some are still good. in this economical crises that we are facing a common goal should be the main objective of job protection and the companies financial strength. Unfortunately that is not the mind set of some unions.

Hey man, nobody appreciates the snow plows and the county road crews more than I do.
I just think that without the county workers union you would still have a job and it may have less benefits but I think the pay would be a LOT higher. This is because the worst driver in your group is paid the same as the best driver. Every group has one and I'm sure you do too. How do you feel about doing your best and being compensated the same as that one? You know the guy I'm talking about.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2875473
All hail the mighty snow shoveler... he contributes the most to society..

Another one of those situations of lament for not going to college and trying to "one up or show up" those that did.

Really???? Is that your feel good about your self comment? Its shows lack of knowledge and a higher mark of ignorance.
Lesson one. I graduate with a bachelor's degree in engineering. Lesson two: served three years in the USN.
Anything else I can help lol with?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2875774
Hey man, nobody appreciates the snow plows and the county road crews more than I do.
I just think that without the county workers union you would still have a job and it may have less benefits but I think the pay would be a LOT higher. This is because the worst driver in your group is paid the same as the best driver. Every group has one and I'm sure you do too. How do you feel about doing your best and being compensated the same as that one? You know the guy I'm talking about.
I can comment on this, but only in my field of work in my union.
I've often got upset with co-workers that i feel aren't pulling there own weight.If I'm in a supervisory role i warn them .If they don't respond,i give them a check and send them on their way.If I'm not in a supervisory role, then i just shut up and do my job,knowing that the person in charge and accountable is going to warn them and then give them a check if they don't pick up the pace. I don't like it when all unions are grouped together we are not all "lazy and over paid".
People forget about all the good Unions do.A lot of charity from mine and many others.Lets not forget all the Union Iron Workers,Carpenters,Pipefitters,Firefighters,Heavy Equipment Operators,Teamsters,Laborers......that went to NYC after 9/11 on their own dime with no pay and asking for nothing to do their part.Some of us really do take pride in building America and are not the selfish, greedy,, lazy SOB's some think we are.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2875784
I can comment on this, but only in my field of work in my union.
I've often got upset with co-workers that i feel aren't pulling there own weight.If I'm in a supervisory role i warn them .If they don't respond,i give them a check and send them on their way.If I'm not in a supervisory role, then i just shut up and do my job,knowing that the person in charge and accountable is going to warn them and then give them a check if they don't pick up the pace. I don't like it when all unions are grouped together we are not all "lazy and over paid".
People forget about all the good Unions do.A lot of charity from mine and many others.Lets not forget all the Union Iron Workers,Carpenters,Pipefitters,Firefighters,Heavy Equipment Operators,Teamsters,Laborers......that went to NYC after 9/11 on their own dime with no pay and asking for nothing to do their part.Some of us really do take pride in building America and are not the selfish, greedy,, lazy SOB's some think we are.
I've never had the impression that all unions are like that. I have only had direct exposure to county and city workers unions here in western NY. I can say, with no doubt, that the lazy workers that skirt their job at every opportunity do NOT get fired. They get the same pay raises and the people next to them that are actually taking pride in their work and doing the job well.
I repeat, they are NOT getting fired. This is what is giving the local government unions a really bad name. I would think that without these people (probably 1 in 10) the view of organized labor would be positive. With these people in place dragging everyone else down I do not have a favorable view of these local government unions.
It would be in the workers best interest to have the unions remove these people but instead they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars protecting them.