unions

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2875811
I've never had the impression that all unions are like that. I have only had direct exposure to county and city workers unions here in western NY. I can say, with no doubt, that the lazy workers that skirt their job at every opportunity do NOT get fired. They get the same pay raises and the people next to them that are actually taking pride in their work and doing the job well.
I repeat, they are NOT getting fired. This is what is giving the local government unions a really bad name. I would think that without these people (probably 1 in 10) the view of organized labor would be positive. With these people in place dragging everyone else down I do not have a favorable view of these local government unions.
It would be in the workers best interest to have the unions remove these people but instead they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars protecting them.

I understood that from your post.Believe me Ive seen feet sticking out of windows on all sorts of utility vehicles.Com Ed for instance will have 10 guys standing around a hole watching 1 guy driving a shovel. I was just stating that we /all unions do not operate that way.So when i see the word "Unions" and then a barrage of negativity thrown at us all,I feel the obligation to speak or in this case type.Not at you directly but at everyone who reads this thread.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2875783
Really???? Is that your feel good about your self comment? Its shows lack of knowledge and a higher mark of ignorance.
Lesson one. I graduate with a bachelor's degree in engineering. Lesson two: served three years in the USN.
Anything else I can help lol with?
Well if you were actually intelligent you wouldn't have taken a bottom feeder job and tried to overglorify it to give yourself a sense of entitlement.. end of story.
Don't be that "guy" in Egypt driving a taxi with a PhD.

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2875774
I just think that without the county workers union you would still have a job and it may have less benefits but I think the pay would be a LOT higher. .
The problem is, and I’ll say this with an asterisk in front is that this particular county is very greedy. One of the highest taxed counties in New Jersey for no reason. Starting salaries were low and the county could not get anyone good to work, so they were taking anyone who walked up looking for a job. Since the union started to push the starting salaries up they have been more picky with whom they choose.
I doubt they would openly pay the guys more if they dropped some of the benefits, simple because they still have old blood in the front office. So I do applaud the union for that.
Remember my district alone caters to the roads that have million dollar homes, not just a messily one million dollar homes, multi million dollar homes.
This is because the worst driver in your group is paid the same as the best driver. Every group has one and I'm sure you do too..
Absolutely, I get aggravated after swinging a tandem half the day into the night with a front plow and wing plow then I have to go clean up the lazy guys work.
We have ways of taking care of them without the union backing them up. Personally, at times I can live with or without the union.
Rotary made a comment and he’s partially right. I have my bach so if I were to get laid off or fired I don’t really worry about the union backing me up, while a lot of the employees have no higher education so they should be worried.
I do my work at the best of my ability and make sure to keep the crew safe and we get the job done right and as fast as we can.

I How do you feel about doing your best and being compensated the same as that one? You know the guy I'm talking about.
I would be more then happy to get merit raises and that’s were I don’t agree with the union. That all for one and one for all crap makes me want to vomit. I work with guys who can’t operated a skid steer or a simple front end loader, or ramp dirt or salt cause it feels like its going to tip, so I get stuck ramping. At least I know when I get done that person is going to be doing something they despise.
If push came to shove and the county was getting ready to close and the option was drop your yearly raise and benefits and no jobs would be lost, absolutely I would be the first one pushing for it.
And If I were ever put into a situation where its feast or famine for my family, you better believe I would wear a scab sign with pride. Pride don’t take away hunger pains

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2875834
Well if you were actually intelligent you wouldn't have taken a bottom feeder job and tried to overglorify it to give yourself a sense of entitlement.. end of story.
Don't be that "guy" in Egypt driving a taxi with a PhD.
Whatever boy. "Bottom feeder" have you got a lot to learn. Be glade I even humored you and gave you the time of day for what your 22yo inexperienced mind is worth.
When you get in the real world and have to work for your money come talk to me.
Ever think that maybe operating big toys and get a nice paycheck seems to be more appealing.
Follow your professors like a good little boy and believe everything they tell you.
The big world is right outside your door and the first step is a big one.

sharkbait9

So wait. answer this then, boy.
So because you are in school, and I graduated but took a bottom feeders job as you put it I’m no good? Everyone who did not have the opportunity to go to collage will only take a bottom feeders job? Or that the lament is not any good or should take pride in the job they do?
Gee, right now the economy is in such turmoil and those jobs are held by collage grads not by some dumb none educated ditch digging bottom feeder.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2875864
So because you are in school, and I graduated but took a bottom feeders job as you put it I’m no good? Everyone who did not have the opportunity to go to collage will only take a bottom feeders job? Or that the lament is not any good or should take pride in the job they do?
Gee, right now the economy is in such turmoil and those jobs are held by collage grads not by some dumb none educated ditch digging bottom feeder.
Ill dig ditches with ya anytime sharkbait,we can discuss structural analysis while we work.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2874966
Ive worked at McCormick Place for trade shows and i have to say its ridiculous.I was ashamed of what goes on there.Ive gotten in fight with electricians for plugging in A light,Decorators union for sticking a Velcro backed picture on the display......I mean real nasty screaming matches to the point where we going to throw punches.I will never go back to doing that again.
People actually leave product there because its cheaper.Either that or it gets stolen.
It got to the point were we just gave up going to tradeshows, final episode was when I had several clipon lights that were used as backdrop lighting, they were just simple lights with a 50w bulb, I was told that I could not plug them in and that a union guy would have to do it, ended up going half a day without the display light and then it cost me $100 to have a HIGHLY skilled union guy plug the lights into a regular outlet. We payed $50 for electrical service when we rented the booth months in advance so thats not the issue, the problem was they charged use twice, once for the actual electrical outlet that was run to my booth and I have no problem with that, I do have a major problem with being told I can plug a light in and that a union guy is the only one qualified to perform this complicated task
Another thing thats always bothered me is this, the average salary for a longshoreman in Longbeach CA is 100k....Can anyone explain to me why they are paid so much?

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2875864
Old man, there's nothing wrong with pride in what you do just don't feel that you are irreplaceable or that you're significantly changing the world.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by maxalmon
http:///forum/post/2875894
It got to the point were we just gave up going to tradeshows, final episode was when I had several clipon lights that were used as backdrop lighting, they were just simple lights with a 50w bulb, I was told that I could not plug them in and that a union guy would have to do it, ended up going half a day without the display light and then it cost me $100 to have a HIGHLY skilled union guy plug the lights into a regular outlet. We payed $50 for electrical service when we rented the booth months in advance so thats not the issue, the problem was they charged use twice, once for the actual electrical outlet that was run to my booth and I have no problem with that, I do have a major problem with being told I can plug a light in and that a union guy is the only one qualified to perform this complicated task
Another thing thats always bothered me is this, the average salary for a longshoreman in Longbeach CA is 100k....Can anyone explain to me why they are paid so much?
Ill fill you in on a little secret.Most of the guys working trade shows are off duty Firemen,Policemen and friends and family of politicians,that buy their card or are given it as "favors"either way like i said I'm ashamed of these things that go on and smear my occupation.
I didnt know that Longshoreman had a union or that there was even a union in California at all.

t316

Wow...some of the posts here. Appears this thread has taken a serious diversion and is on track for a lock down if you guys don't stop taking punches at each other.

fish master

everyone is blaming the unions for these companys failing, i have to agree with sharkbait. its the big college graduates that are running these companys and making them fail

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2875879
Ill dig ditches with ya anytime sharkbait,we can discuss structural analysis while we work.

More then happy too

http:///forum/post/2875914
Old man, there's nothing wrong with pride in what you do just don't feel that you are irreplaceable or that you're significantly changing the world.
Hmm. Ok lets see here. Irreplaceable, no one is irreplaceable. Having pride in your work and talking proudly about your work has no shame. You might learn that when you grow up and stop feeling self righteous because you sit behind a desk with a key board. I know I did when I got into the service.
significantly changing the world. one might believe that everyone on this planet has the ability to help change the world, but then again with your mind set, trying to belittle the lament and hold them back they might not.
I never said I was the moral compass for anything. Personally I care about what effect me and my family’s day to day living. Nothing else. I would rather sit around and drink a few cold ones out of the bottle then sit around and drink fruity drink with a loosened up tie hanging cocked eyed off my chest talking about the big report and the new secretary.
In your eyes I’m a educated bottom feeder. Because I like playing with machines and digging roads and pipe lines and after work going and fighting a fire or ride on the critical care rigs after some higher educated desk jockey had a stress induced heart attack and careened off into another car on the parkway and needs to be transported to a higher level hospital or specialty hospital. But I’m a bottom feeder married to a special ed teacher who loves a bottom feeder. See where this went.
When you get out of school and sucking off the preverbal teat of your professor. You realize that life is not as simple as certain professors make it out to be. You realize that if its not for the bottom feeders the ceo would not have anyone doing the work they want. And to protect the bottom feeders from some desk jockeying management a union is formed.
Then after all that, what really matters is comfort. Married both have good jobs make good money have a nice house and at the end of the day our family and friends love us and we don’t have a hard time laying our heads on the pillow, cause it was an honest day. Maybe you’ll learn that some day too.

aquaknight

Hey! There's some of us in neck-ties that prefer cold ones to fruity-tooty drinks
(Granted, prefer microbrews or imported instead of Colorado kool-aid, but none the less)

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2876041
Hey! There's some of us in neck-ties that prefer cold ones to fruity-tooty drinks
(Granted, prefer microbrews or imported instead of Colorado kool-aid, but none the less)
UHH! Well i never! If you can afford fruity-tooty drinks and microbrews then apparently you are making too much money and are ruining our country.Sheesh !Whats next,you going to want insurance for your family and a pension too?

rotarymagic

I'm no fruity tooty drink wielder.. I drink guiness extra stout.
Seriously though you keep saying that you're not a beacon for holiness and then you cotradict it later on. Oh please with this white collar stereotype crap.. Since I don't have a personal story to tell ya since I'm still "suckin teats" in college, I'll use my dad as an example. He deals with goons in Nigeria, Asia, South America on a normal basis. How many times have you been under gun fire while shoveling snow or while your wife nurses the mentally handicapped? none. I've been closer to any of this than you have as well. I've lived in Indonesia, gunfire in the streets right outside our house perimeter was not uncommon. Political demonstrations or transfer of power was usually signalled by murders. So next time I see some self righteous disgruntled union worker breaking ice or shoveling snow.. I'll move him aside and do it myself. I wouldn't want his stupidity or self righteousness to taint the streets I travel.
Any Union worker is just mad that they're on the bottom end of the spectrum and not the one calling the shots. That's just how it is.

fish master

well there is gun fire in our neighborhoods here in the usa also. those streets will be plowed. if you dont want them plowed you might want to go back to indonesia

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2876103
Any Union worker is just mad that they're on the bottom end of the spectrum and not the one calling the shots. That's just how it is.
For the love of GOD Rotary,Your making it really hard for me to like you. lol

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by fish master
http:///forum/post/2876112
well there is gun fire in our neighborhoods here in the usa also. those streets will be plowed. if you dont want them plowed you might want to go back to indonesia
gun fire from 20mm cannons and automatic weapons? I think not..rofl. why don't you go back to the coal mines?