Vodka Dosing.

05xrunner

yes I have been doing alot of research on this and have been dosing for little over 3weeks now.
I started out with the recommended dose..I moved up till I was dosing .7mL per day on the 2nd week....I had to cut that back to .4mL because I started to get a common black/green cyno others have reported with vodka dosing. If you see that outbreak or any stress in any of your animals you should cut your dosing in half or stop for a while and start over. yes every week you keep adding .5mL till you see that the nitrates and phosphates are dropping and then you stop at that and that will be your daily dose #...I have noticed better polyp extension. Skimmer gets more aggressive, water seems a little clearer but I cant say on any hard evidence yet as I am only starting to reach the 3week period of dosing.
I never had any yellowing of water. Just that cyno issue
i dont know if this is allowed since its a journal and magazine type thing. But I am posting the link anyway..its HELPFUL to the community not trying to steal sales
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

spanko

Yup that is one of the first ones I read. Probably gonna get whacked out by a mod ifwhen they see it because it does have links to forums on it. But a great article to bookmark for future reference if anyone is interested. There are plenty more out there for those that want to do a search for vodka dosing, especially some of the European sites.
Again thanx for joining the discussion 05X and please feel free to use this thread to have everyone follow along with your progress. Don't ever feel that you would be hijacking, just go ahead and post on up.

socal57che

How long before you guys noticed a difference in your skimmate? Spanko, has your skimmate changed or your frequency of needing emptied? Does the skimmate not change until the bacterial colony is mature? I really should read the links you sent me.

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2999176
Socal I will try to get some up. It has only been a week and a half so far so not much to show but let me get some pics and we will compare them.
In the meantime not a stray but my good companion Napa a miniature pincher. He is around 40 lbs.

Miniature pincher nice I had an above standard dobie 117lbs
Mrutzek and Kokott (2004)
Dosage rate between 5 and 10 ml. Per day of vodka per 260 gallons of aquarium water.
Nitrates at a test reading of 25 will start to fall about the 34th day of dosing they should fall to under 5. On the 36th day you should read zero after 5 days at zero you should see a rise to about 0.025 which will be your test readings as long as you dose. Remember as you continue to dose you diminish your other natural methods of denitrification. You will have to wean your tank off the vodka slowing to allow the other systems to catch up if you decided you no longer want to dose in an attempt to expand your coral polyps
I can personally attest to those figures my friend

spanko

10 days in
skimmate
Day 1

Day 10

Not too much difference at all.
Seriatopora day 1

Some more polyp extension on this one.
Milli day 1

Day 10

Day 10

Ora Voodoo day 1

Day 10

I can see some more polyp extension here.
Milli day 1

Day 10

Tank is definitely clearer, only cleaned glass 3 times in last 10 day where normally would have done 4 or 5 times.
Not much to report so see ya next week.

socal57che

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/3000051
they say you really wont see much of a difference till about the 3week mark
Once the nutrients are removed from the water column and feeding increases?
Or does the polyp extention result from lack of nutrients before feedings increase?....I.E. reaching for food?

05xrunner

I would say since you are feeding alot more while dosing vodka..the corals are now looking for food more often since they get it more and extend more..but who actually really knows why they do anything they do

spanko

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/3000494
I would say since you are feeding alot more while dosing vodka..the corals are now looking for food more often since they get it more and extend more..but who actually really knows why they do anything they do
So O5X are you feeding at any specific time of the daynight?

05xrunner

actually I dont feed my corals anything...they eat all the extra poop my fish are doing by feeding them more..I feed mysis now when i get home from work..a small pinch of flake little later and a little more mysis before bed..i dont over feed because I will not put in more then the fish can eat all of. I do notice they poop more so thats more food for the sps.
I am probably going to pick up some of that Oyster Feast..as I hear alot of good things from it

spanko

I have been using a couple of things but find that this is a good enticement for them.

CORAL FRENZY CONTAINS:
Oyster Larvae, Salmon Roe, Fish Protein, Rotifers, Copepods, Daphnia, Dunaliella salina, Haematococcus Pluvialis, Spirulina, & Schizochytrium. It is rich in amino acids, proteins, carotenoids, HUFA, PUFA, & Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.
The combination of these ingredients creates a notable feeding response and helps with coral growth and color as they consume the product. Coral Frenzy is a great food for sps, lps, zoanthids, softies, and other filter feeding organisms.

fishkid13

Not much to report so see ya next week.
I thought a week was seven days not one? JK So how much does the Coral Frenzy cost?

spanko

Okay here we are with pictures from 30-Apr-09 for comparison.
Seriatopora day 1

30-Apr

Growing well, better polyp extension but has turned more brown.
Milli day 1

Milli 30-Apr

Much better PE and is growing.
The other milli day 1

30-Apr

Much better PE, growth and color.
Will throw this stylo in for future reference.

Ora Voodoo day1

30-Apr

All in all some growth and better PE but not anything really better color wise. Is this Vodka Dosing doing what I expected it to do? No. But I will keep it up for a while longer to keep tracing it. Who knows maybe th longer it goes it will get better.

meowzer

How funny to see this...last night I was wondering how this was going and I was going to find the thread this morning..now I don't have to:)
Do you think the growth would be the same w/o the dosing??

spanko

Had not seen the growth I see now prior to dosing. Had not seen some of the PE I now see before dosing. So I do think it is having some affect but just not what I expected. Maybe I expected too much too soon, don't know, that is why I will keep going.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3032498
Had not seen the growth I see now prior to dosing. Had not seen some of the PE I now see before dosing. So I do think it is having some affect but just not what I expected. Maybe I expected too much too soon, don't know, that is why I will keep going.
PATIENCE...LOL...Good to see it really does exist

sk8shorty01

Thanks for the updates spanko. I have no intentions of actually attempting this myself (I have a hard enough time with my stuff without vodka haha) but it is still well worth the read and research.