what would be a good firefish tankmate

kopczynski

I would do just some zoanthids and some mushrooms and if you wanted to you could glue green star polyps to the back glass and let then spread.

bang guy

You'll want some pretty good light for Xenia and GSP. I would suggest starting with some Mushrooms and see how those do. Ricordea Yuma don't require intense light and can look good.

kopczynski

The other thing with all corals but specifically Xenia is that it will spread and take over almost anything in the tank. Mushrooms are known to do this as well.

ClaptonsGhost

I've got two firefish in a tank with Angels, dwarf Angels, Tangs, chromis, sand sifting gobi's, other gobie's, etc. They get along fine with all of them and nobody bothers them. Getting on to the topic this thread turned into, mushrooms, I have a question. My tank has been up for 4 months. I've got about 12 individual and clusters of mushrooms in my tank. All of them are doing great, fully expanded, a lot of the time shaped like funnels they're sucking in so much nutrients. BUT...they really haven't multiplied. I found two individual tiny mushrooms. One of them fell face down on the tiny piece of dead coral it attached to. The other one hasn't gotten any bigger in the month that I've had it.

Basically my question is, how long before all these super healthy mushrooms start multiplying? Like I said I have angels so mushrooms are really the only "coral" I can put in my tank, so I'd love to see them cover most of my live rock, which I've never considered to be very interesting to look at.

well i dont have saltwater right now and wen i have a small tank im defitnitly gettin a saltwater tank and defitnitly gettin a fire fish a skunk cleaner shrimp 2 or 3 blue legged hermits 3 cerith snails 2 nerite snails

kopczynski

The growth speed of mushrooms will depend on a large number of things. They prefer water with more nutrients and they like light but dont need a lot of it. They can move around your tank and leave a part of their foot behind and that would eventually grow into a new mushroom. I have read you could just cut them up and they would regrow but eventually in maybe a year or two they could take over the tank if calcium and other parameters are kept in ballance.

silverado61

With a 10g you might want to look into an automatic top off system (ATO). That should help stabilize it a little as far as salinity, ammonia and nitrites. And use a humidifier in the room during the winter months if you live in cold climate so the air is not so dry. I go through about 8 gallons of top off water a week in my 75g.

silverado61

There are different brands of ATO's so there are different styles but basically what it does is make sure that your water level stays consistant by constantly topping your tank off with RO/DI water. Keeping your salinity stable and your ammonia/nitrites from rising too quickly due to water evaporation.
Prices range depending on who makes it and how they operate. SWF.com sells them. Well worth any price in my opinion.

But that's just me.