What would you like to see improve in America?

pezenfuego

A few days ago I had a mock SAT writing prompt. This was one of the questions on it. I already answered it and turned it in, so it isn't like I'm asking your guys for homework help lol. I just thought that it was an interesting question and I wanted to see what other people thought.

nordy

That Americans, and by that I mean ALL of us myself included (and politicians in particular-You know who you are!), start looking at the big picture, the entire country, the long term, and stop saying Me! Me! Me!, my state, my county, my city, my house, my car, my job, my everything, all the time and start leaving our parochial egos at the door and begin to think about how we can make things better for our children (because we have messed things up so badly for ourselves) and generatrions thereafter.
Ok, rant over. You first!

sepulatian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZenfuego http:///forum/thread/379657/what-would-you-like-to-see-improve-in-america#post_3300534
A few days ago I had a mock SAT writing prompt. This was one of the questions on it. I already answered it and turned it in, so it isn't like I'm asking your guys for homework help lol. I just thought that it was an interesting question and I wanted to see what other people thought.
Well Pez, please share what you wrote on this subject.

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulatian http:///forum/thread/379657/what-would-you-like-to-see-improve-in-america#post_3300788
Well Pez, please share what you wrote on this subject.
This was a multifaceted prompt with this question being a small part. This was one of the only parts of the essay that I wasn't completely happy with. I wrote about how we need to improve our education system. It was mostly bullcrap. If you want to know my actual opinion, I think the best way to improve our education system is to adopt asian parents.

bang guy

There are many to list, perhaps too many.

I would like to have common courtesy back. Driving, shopping, walking down the street, younger people don't seem to comprehend the value of courtesy.

Integrity. You know, where someone says they'll do something and you know that it will get done. This goes beyond politics and the workplace.

What's up with the gimme gimme gimme mind set these days? If you want something then work for it. If it's not worth getting a second job for then what makes you think the taxpayers want to buy it for you? Entitlements suck.

tangman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/379657/what-would-you-like-to-see-improve-in-america#post_3300910
There are many to list, perhaps too many.

I would like to have common courtesy back. Driving, shopping, walking down the street, younger people don't seem to comprehend the value of courtesy.

Integrity. You know, where someone says they'll do something and you know that it will get done. This goes beyond politics and the workplace.

What's up with the gimme gimme gimme mind set these days? If you want something then work for it. If it's not worth getting a second job for then what makes you think the taxpayers want to buy it for you? Entitlements suck.
Amen! The younger generation for the most part have no courtesy. Not sure what happened and why.

And this is entitlement at it's finest:

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/housing-crisis-reaches-full-589653.html

soviettaco

TOLERANCE! I really wish people were more tolerant and empathetic towards others. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion but have the realization that though someone else may have a different stance on a particular issue then yours you can at least give them the respect and discuss the issue and not argue it. There's this whole mentality today that those with different ideas are some how the enemy and that they wish the country ill. We are all in the same boat and I am pretty sure we all at the end of the day want it to sail as smoothly as possible.

Great topic by the way so let's keep it clean.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangMan99 http:///forum/thread/379657/what-would-you-like-to-see-improve-in-america#post_3300911
Amen! The younger generation for the most part have no courtesy. Not sure what happened and why.

Direct correlation from the competitive nature placed on kids today. 70% of the kids in each graduating class, have to fit into the top 10%, otherwise they won't get into already overloaded universities. And god forbid some lowly child not attend college these days. Kids can't be kids.

Couple that with commonly poor parenting nowadays, either no parenting at all, or completely overbearing (not sure which is worse, but the latter is becoming much more common), it's sort of easy to see why.

reefraff

I had a fairly informal upbringing but I would have literally got my butt kicked if I talked to a known adult like kids do today. Of course the generation before mine probably would have faced the same thing for addressing an adult as anything but Mr or Mrs. A little bit of a conservative revival in the area of child rearing wouldn't be a bad thing.

mrdc

I agree with having a none of the above option! And yes it is the voters who put the politicians in office and lordy lordy, there are many voters who need their voter registration cards revoked. And even good voters are deceived a lot by bad politicians who run a campaign based on lies and bs that never follow through with their promises.

slice

I put this in another thread some months ago; I still have not found the original source.
I believe it is true:

“The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.”