what's the 1st thing you wish you had known

lt34

Not to Cycle with Damsels which would have also meant not listening to my lfs and do more research first. After having to remove all 110lbs of lr to catch the Damsels. Next time buy a hungry lion fish or puffer to do the job. Also making the selling of those plastic hydrometers illegal.

opus18

Originally Posted by lt34
Also making the selling of those plastic hydrometers illegal.

second on that!

hamsmith

That in the long run buying an Aquapod 24 all-in-one tank was not really cheaper. Although I love my pod if I were to start over I would most likely do at least a 55-gallon tank drilled with sump/fuge. No regrets though!

clown boy

Just a comment about RO Systems: In a marine anemone survey held some time ago, only 39% of total respondants used tap water, but 83% of the anemones that lived 24 months or more were in those tanks. They say probably because the trace elements were good (Except chlorine, of course).

poniegirl

When you have 20 minutes to grab what you want, leave ALL of your work clothes and make-up and just let them try and stop a 150 gal coming out the front door.
Amen

lt34

Do more research and not listen to just your lfs. Also to find as many lfs and talk with them to find out the ones you can trust.

newreefer2

Originally Posted by mrdc
Ditto here too with those dang Dominos.
Also, wish I had known about LS, Durso Stand Pipe and halides.
What is Durso Stand Pipe and why is it good. Do you recommend halides only for a reef tank or also for a FOWLR?
This is a new language you are teaching us.

socko6774

well today is day 1 of my tank set up and iv already read soem stuff iv doen wrong!!! dammit, i already drained it once, because i messed up!!!
il post back in a few weeks with my misfortunes, lol

miafish

Ok total newbie here. I've never had a fish tank of any sort but I got hooked helping out a buddy with his 40G tank. I've decided to go with a 55G. I'm going to start with a fish only tank and would like to have fish that I can catch myself(I live in miami and go fishing/snorkeling often). I'd like to have small yellowtails, the regular reef hogs(dont know exact name), grunts, and a spiny lobster. I would love to have a small little cuda too although I realize they get extremely big but I can always release them back in the wild. I've bought just about all I need minus the actual tank and the wet/dry. I'm just waiting for the rest of the equipment to come in and build a base for the tank. Here is the list of what I got. I didnt think about adding LR but after reading this thread I can see that LR is crucial. How much should I start off with? Well here is what I got coming in the mail:
1) CD-157517 Deluxe Heaters 200 watt
2) (2)CD-120090 AquaClear Powerhead Model 20 (old Model 201)
3) CD-120104 AquaClear Powerhead Model 70 (old Model 802
4) CD-907026 Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater
5) CD-116658 Instant Ocean Hydrometer
6) (2) CD-12985 Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
7) CD-116528 Aquarium Systems Synthetic Sea Salt Instant Ocean 50 gallon mix
8) CD-120076 Cycle 16 oz
9) CD-21410 Chemi-Pure 3 pk
10) CD-21075 Ancient Ships Small Sunken Nordic Ship
12) CD-18745 Stone Cave (large)
13) CD-11966 Acrylic Safe Mag-Float Medium
What am I missing and any other tips I should know that havent shown up in this thread. Thanks a lot guys.

miafish

Oh yeah almost forgot. I plan to get the 55G tank at a LPS that is running a special for 98.99 including the top with the lights. Now I realize these lights are probably the el cheapo ones but I figure they can hold me over untill I can afford a better set up.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by MIAFish
Ok total newbie here. I've never had a fish tank of any sort but I got hooked helping out a buddy with his 40G tank. I've decided to go with a 55G. I'm going to start with a fish only tank and would like to have fish that I can catch myself(I live in miami and go fishing/snorkeling often). I'd like to have small yellowtails, the regular reef hogs(dont know exact name), grunts, and a spiny lobster. I would love to have a small little cuda too although I realize they get extremely big but I can always release them back in the wild. I've bought just about all I need minus the actual tank and the wet/dry. I'm just waiting for the rest of the equipment to come in and build a base for the tank. Here is the list of what I got. I didnt think about adding LR but after reading this thread I can see that LR is crucial. How much should I start off with? Well here is what I got coming in the mail:
1) CD-157517 Deluxe Heaters 200 watt
2) (2)CD-120090 AquaClear Powerhead Model 20 (old Model 201)
3) CD-120104 AquaClear Powerhead Model 70 (old Model 802
4) CD-907026 Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater
5) CD-116658 Instant Ocean Hydrometer
6) (2) CD-12985 Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
7) CD-116528 Aquarium Systems Synthetic Sea Salt Instant Ocean 50 gallon mix
8) CD-120076 Cycle 16 oz
9) CD-21410 Chemi-Pure 3 pk
10) CD-21075 Ancient Ships Small Sunken Nordic Ship
12) CD-18745 Stone Cave (large)
13) CD-11966 Acrylic Safe Mag-Float Medium
What am I missing and any other tips I should know that havent shown up in this thread. Thanks a lot guys.
Avoid plastic decor. Get a protein skimmer. Please don't stock with fresh wild fish.

wingnut sr

I wish I would not have listened to the LFS. I have 50G, and I am ready to tear it down and start from scratch all over. Fighting water quality issues, and doing water changes constantly, twice a week some times. Also have this brown algae growing on glass and rock. Have lost several fish to unknown reasons, most likely bad water. Have a protien skimmer and 2 HOB filters going, along with an air bubbler.
One local LFS recomended that I get my own rock from the bay. Would save me lots of $$$. BIG mistake!!! I think this is where the brown algae is coming from. They also told me to cycle my tank with a couple of Damsels.
I am glad I found these boards. Have seen alot of things I have been doing the wrong way!!!
Thanks to all!!!

ltradziej

found these boards earlier and not listening to LFS. Be less spontaneous on purchases and go with a bigger tank right off the bat

cjml

Originally Posted by Rainfishy
:happyfish Tangs don't belong in 20g tanks

:happyfish Anemones need more than 20watt lights

:happyfish Yes, you actually have to do water changes

:happyfish The guys at the LFS dont know s#^*

ditto ditto ditto :cheer:

cjml

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Avoid plastic decor. Get a protein skimmer. Please don't stock with fresh wild fish.

do not cycle with live fish... :happyfish