Who wants to help me chose the inhabitants of my shark tank???

madman33

OK well i am starting to agree with you more and more and am thinking about downsizing the tank...i called the complany today and its still going to be abou 2 weeks before thaey start on it and even though i have already put money down they said i can cancel the order and then make another and they will count the money that i have already given towards that one. (i have no problem with delaying the start of the building for a few weeks while i edit the blueprints of the house which shouldnt be too hard...jsut eatend a few rooms and maybe add on or two)What i want to know is what percent chance do you think there is of me pulling this off and would you cancel. If you would cancel how much would you downsize? I would still like this to be a lager than the normal large aquarium(if that makes sense lol) in which i could still keep mediumish sharks...the largest probably being Blacktips and Bonnets.

madman33

I also apologize about maybe over reacting alitte before and that is the reason why i had been kicked off this site once before(please dont kick me again).

sebae09

50x40x7=104,720 gal. You would still be able to keep anything. Those deminsions are just off the top of my head.

drewsta

I have been following this thread and I find it very interesting... I would say
PROS=
1)Beautiful natural looking enviornment for the animals.
2)Something no one on earth has ever done before.
3)Maybe some passive income for you if you hold discovery channel specials in your house
4)The fact that this is actually being considered is awesome to me
CONS=
1)COST.
2)City Ordinences (sp)
3)Longterm care (cost)
4)Final value of home (if ever sold) would decrease
I look at these factors and I see spending easily 5 Million not including construction of home. I am not trying to sway your decision in any way but I would look at every single cost and building factor before going forward with this project (Not saying you haven't) I would just check and double and triple check every single thing. 1 simple mistake could end up costing hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. I wish you luck and I hope to see this house on HGTV in early 2007

drewsta

Maybe 25x20x8 that would be a modest 25,000 Gallons much more managable then 200,000 :thinking: Just a thought

ophiura

I think anywhere from 20,000 to 40,000 would still be incredible but far more manageable. There is about a 40,000g at my LFS (I reckon the are a bit generous on the estimate). It is an expensive LFS :lol: so cost passed on to customers, but nonetheless far more realistic I think.
The nice addition is that the tank has about a 20'long "sump" pond full of LR that extends into the store. There are tangs and epaulette sharks in it. It is a great "habitat" and access for things like bamboos and epaulettes that would add another interesting dimension to your tank.

reefiness

i have also been following this tank and also thing it would be amazing if the tank came thorugh as originally planned but being that you are thinking about downsizing it mabye you can take into consideration making it more a reef with mabye only being 6ft tall and a grand total of like 50,000gallons giving you a good size.
but i think that it would be much more amzing as a tank with thousands of smaller fish then only a few sharks and larger fish.

clown boy

Originally Posted by reefiness
i have also been following this tank and also thing it would be amazing if the tank came thorugh as originally planned but being that you are thinking about downsizing it mabye you can take into consideration making it more a reef with mabye only being 6ft tall and a grand total of like 50,000gallons giving you a good size.
but i think that it would be much more amzing as a tank with thousands of smaller fish then only a few sharks and larger fish.
I certainly agree. A huge reef would be much more managable, and if a fish died, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. I also think it would be much more beautiful.

mryoung7

Originally Posted by ophiura
Some pictures of this..
haha, a friend and i were in that store a few months ago and i lost a bet on the size of that tank. i overestimated.

ophiura

There are no sharks in that tank other than the epaulettes in the "sump." They have no desire to keep sharks in there. In fact, as you can see from the pics, they keep rather few fish in that system. But things like vlamingi tangs and other tangs sure look much better when allowed to roam in there.
IMO, a huge reef tank would be FAR more complicated to keep compared to a FO system. Whether it is a household tank, or a multi-thousand gallon system, FO systems are much easier to keep IMO because they are far more tolerant of water quality issues, and have virtually not special lighting needs. Large reef tanks are actually not all that common, even in public aquaria. In this case there is a natural sunlight option which is the only way, IMO, to reasonably even attempt a 40,000g reef tank and keep the cost of lighting and electricity remotely manageable. Stick with the sharks, IMO

krj-1168

Well - personal I love the idea of a 200-250,000 gallon shark tank.
IF you've got the funds avaiable to build it & for the regular up keep - then I say Go For It.
As for the types of sharks
Well with a system that big - your choices are almost endless(naturally not Great Whites, or Whale Sharks).
But Sharks like these are very possible to keep in a tank that size.
- Bull Shark - If you want a truely dangerous shark
- Scalloped Hammerhead - cool looking large shark
- Blacktips - the BTR's bigger brother.
- Whitetips - classic reef shark
- Sand tiger - a mean looking shark
- Sandbars - another classic (public) aquarium shark
- Blacktip Reef - the BTR, an excellent reef shark
- Dusky - another good aquarium shark
- Lemon - a large shark that rarely seen in public aquariums.
- Nurse - the "peaceful" giant LFS shark.

madman33

Originally Posted by ophiura
Stick with the sharks, IMO

Thats what im planning on doing...i cant imagine trying to light that big and deep of a reef tank(other than natural). As far as size im thinking closer to 75,000ish maybe with no huge sharks. BTw i was at my local fish shop today and they had this one shark and i asked them what it was and it sounded like a japanese name and looked almost eaxactly like a nurse shark(was about 12in long and had the nurse shark type of tail) any ideas of what it might have been?

krj-1168

Hmm. Kind of sounds like a wobbegong(or wobbies as the their called in Australia).
But careful - certain wobbies can get huge - like a nurse.
The Japanese is the smallest species found in the States - grows to about 4 ft.
The Ward's is very rare(practically unheard of) in the States - grows to just under 3'
Since the tank will be about 75,000 gallon tank instead of the 250,000, and your looking for some smaller sharks.
You could still Blacktip Reefs - since that max out at 6 ft.
Bonnetheads - max at 5 ft.
Sharpnose - Atlantic species grows to 4 ft , the Pacific species to about 5 ft.
Whitetip Reefs - usually average about 5.5ft, but can max out near 7ft.
Also there's the Port Jackson's shark(the Horn's bigger Australian cousin) - they do fine in water temps in to the mid to upper 70's - and can grow to almost 5.5' in length.

sebae09

Nurse sharks are not peacefull they are very veracious when it comes to food they will actually eat other sharks when it comes down to food. A nurse is one of my favorate sharks but i advise against it.