Who wants to help me chose the inhabitants of my shark tank???

madman33

they need like a bored/ waiting for something new to happen face lol...i have no idea what it would look like but hey they need 1 lol

krj-1168

update/bump...final tank is 13 feet high arpund 30000 gallons with an artificial reef...also i am starting to think more seriously about the stock list...i want to keep it to smaller sharks and larger fish...any ideas?
So the tank's roughly 12-14 ft wide, and 24-28 ft long.
With a reef type set-up - sharks like bonnetheads, & sharpnoses are rather poor choices.
Some Better shark choices -
Swimming sharks - Blacktip reef, or Whitetip reef(even then no more than 3 sharks).
Bottom-dwellers - Japanese wobbies, Brown banded or White-spotted Bamboos, or Epaulettes. or if your kept tank is below 75F - Port Jackson's, or Blue-gray Carpet(Colcough's) shark.
As for other fish - it will really depend on your shark choices.
But could possible include - large angels, morays, & larger Lions (remember: no triggers or puffers).

sharkguy22

I would like to see a tank this big. Your options are various and open to most fishes. My stocking list for sharks would be a couple reefs and bonnets, bat rays , love em. probly nurses. Such a big tank, trigg puufers and angels would not be a prob.
If they tank ever excists I would love to see it.

krj-1168

IMHO, Bonnets don't mix with reef set-ups, even artificial ones. They do badly with sharp or rough edges.
As for nurses - remember these sharks grow to 10 ft + in length.

ophiura

Don't go crazy, 30,000 isn't all that large. Not the best for a nurse shark (if you have seen one in about that size tank, you can see they are pretty big for it. If it is not deep but long and wide that is a different issue.
It is a good opportunity to display things like emperor snapper, naso tang, vlamingi tangs and similar (and realize that indeed, a 125g is too small for them
- it ain't just the tang police talking).

krj-1168

Agreed.
I've seen adult nurse sharks, at Sea World and several other public aquariums, that I've been to over the years. These are truely massive sharks - 9-10' long. Often they are the 2nd largest sharks in most aquariums - Sand Tigers being the 1st. These sharks need at least 100,000 gallons(if the depth is in the 12-14' range).
Other large fish to go with the reef sharks - large angels, large tangs, groupers, & morays.
Good alternatives to the Nurse - the large Bamboos. After all a 3-3.5' shark still is a pretty big fish.

krj-1168

Agreed.
I've seen adult nurse sharks, at Sea World and several other public aquariums, that I've been to over the years. These are truely massive sharks - 9-10' long. Often they are the 2nd largest sharks in most aquariums(beating out blacktips, whitetips & sandbars) - Sand Tigers being the 1st. These sharks need at least 100,000 gallons(if the depth is in the 12-14' range).
Other large fish to go with the reef sharks - large angels, large tangs, groupers, & morays.
Good alternatives to the Nurse - the large Bamboos. After all a 3-3.5' shark still is a pretty big fish.

ophiura

Gotta have groupers. Maybe those panther groupers that no one realizes will grow so large
Ditto with being the ASPCA for green moray eels. Gotta have groupers and eels

tx reef

Originally Posted by ophiura
Gotta have groupers. Maybe those panther groupers that no one realizes will grow so large

:hilarious
:hilarious

clown boy

Originally Posted by ophiura
Ditto with being the ASPCA for green moray eels. Gotta have groupers and eels

Wow, being able to have a 5 foot grouper would be so cool!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Madman33
Anyways im looking for warm water sharks that wont eat each other lol but it doesnt matter if they eat fish cause there wont be any in the tank. Anyways shouldnt have to worry too much about size the dimensions r 20ffet tall by 20 feet deep by 75 feet long for a grand total of 224,415 gallons. Anyways all im looking for is a list of good canidates in ur mind and then ill look throuh those run em by some ppl and then start the major research i DO NOT need help with any of the equipment or any of that stuff i have professional help with all of it... anyways thanx for the ideas in advance

After reading the scope of this project, I would snag some one from a large reputable aquariums and have him move in or close for the duration. Cost is obviously no issue. Secondly, I would convass the world/country for financial and goods donations. If this ever came to light. I think about anyone would want to donate something just to be a part of it! Aside from your man made structures. Imagine if 1,000 people sent you 10-50 lbs of rock. Not to mention the corals and such. I did not see lighting discussed?
I personally would like to donate a yellow tang if it is ok with the tang police!
Beyond Awesome!
Mc

krj-1168

Personally - If I had the money to build a 30,000 tank for reef sharks. I would go for something like this.
39' long x 18' wide x 6' deep - this way your 6' blacktip reef can have enough swimming room.
With sharks - swimming room is more important than depth.
Reef Sharks like Blacktips, or Whitetips really only need about 6' in depth.
Larger sharks like sandbars, sand tigers, & dusky require deeper water - at least 8-10 feet.
Small coastal sharks that are native to the surf zone - can live in water that's only 3-4' deep.
most small bottom dwellers(i.e. Bamboos, Eppies, Horns, & small wobbies) need about 2' depth.
Tidal pool sharks - like Coral cats, - require tanks with at least 18" depth.
If you plan on going 13' depth - then I would suggest going 20' wide x 40' long.

mauiman84

Hell if i had the money to do this i would just buy a place on the ocean and go dive everytime i wanted to see these fish.

madman33

remember its not rectangular any more but circular..dont remeber diameter off the top of my head though. But yeah im thinking only acouple sharks like 3 blacktips or so and then the rest larger fish. Also like i said before its going to be and artificial reef because i dont want to try and light a 13 foot deep tank lol.

krj-1168

So - what is the approximate diameter of the tank.
For 3 blacktip reefs - personally I would recommend at least 24-30ft in diameter (about 43,000 -68,000 gallons).
Also the dimensions that I was suggesting above in the above posts was based off an oval design - not rectangular.
And true oval design is actually works just as well as a round deisgn - maybe even a little better.

bill109

you know what would be awesome!
like someone said a 3 story tank so on the first 2 floors and in the attic (if you have one have it open so you can do all you caring for the tank in the attic attic and have a few skylights in the roof
if cost isnt the issue theni think it would be cool!