Who wants to help me chose the inhabitants of my shark tank???

madman33

ok sorry didnt realize you were talking about an oval....if i remember right i finally decided on something around a 20 foot diameter. ill have to find the plans and then ill post the actual but im pretty sure its around 20ish...maybe alittle less. Bill i thought about that but its just too hard to light a tank that deep IMO...even with all natural light you wont get a full days worth of sunlight into the tank and remeber that around the equator its about 12 hours of night and day all year long where as here in Nevada it isnt quite that much but it still might be ok.

krj-1168

Well - a 20 ft diameter x 13 ft deep is about 38,000-39,000 gallons.
With that diameter - I hope your sharks don't grow much past 5' in length.

madman33

mmmk just looked at it....its a 24 foot diameter and 10 feet high...i couldnt remeber which i finally decided on lol. Gives me a grand total of 33,841.08 gallons. Also had the day off/took the day off and did a bunch more research on species and am now leaning back towards bonnets. I know they are sensitive to metal but there be none in the aquarium and the closest metal will probably be a good 10 feet away from the tank(exceot there might be alittle above, which would be pretty close to the water, but it wouls just be llights etc...). I also like the bat rays. Opinions?

krj-1168

Well - since it size.
And your considering Bonnets.
For a requiem shark - go with sharpies(Atlantic Sharpnose) - they stay small(3-4') and generally make great tank mates for the bonnets.
Although with sharpies and/or bonnets - I would suggest either limiting or removing the artificial reef, completely.

sharkdealr

Hey Madman,
Sounds like a cool tank you're building. Email me if you're serious about getting exotic sharks. I have the hook up for you. Bat Rays too. tm48462@yahoo.com I can't wait to talk to you about your tank.

sebae09

madman its been awile since i talked to you so whats new? the seasons comeing up soon and im planning a trip april 9-15th so get back at me.

madman33

so far so good there was a set back on the tank so now its coming Feb. 1 (cant companies ever make their deadlines any more? lol) but i doubt it will be up in time for this season but ill let you know.

dual45s

Originally Posted by codemaster
giant octopus for sure
Probably not, that would open up a whole new batch of concerns. Plus if you look for it, there's a pretty popular video of a giant octo killing a shark in a very large public aquarium.

krj-1168

IMO - it would definitely -be no to the giant octo.
Not only are they capable of keeping sharks(which is the main focus of your tank), but the also have been known to attack people.
And consider the size of the tank where talking about - someone in going to have to dive in it - just to clean it.
So your talking about an increased potential serious injury. And that's not what anyone wants.

rbrockm1

how big is the tank going to be i mean gallon wise. what do you do for a livin, i want to do this so money isn't an issue

dual45s

If you look back in the thread he works as an aeronautical engineer, designing wings, if I remember right.

dual45s

Yeah, that...a few posts up.
Originally Posted by Madman33
so far so good there was a set back on the tank so now its coming Feb. 1 (cant companies ever make their deadlines any more? lol) but i doubt it will be up in time for this season but ill let you know.

madman33

no they havent sent me any pics..i havent asked for any lol and its being made out in North Carolina so i dont really feel like going out there...as for the size i posted it alittle while back something like 33,800

clekchau

can you post pics of your house where the tank will be located? what are your final plans for equipment? it's nice to dream up of stocking lists (i've redone my stocking list a hundred times yet my skimmer isn't even here yet hehe) but equipment, tank placement, tank husbandry thoughts etc should be considered first imho
can we see some pics, any pics of this setup?