Yerboy's rimless SPS build

rlablan

I am supper excited! Lots of Pics!!! YAY!
Did you get your tank through glass cages? online?
I am seriously considering them for my build... When you get yours, let us know what you think and how the whole thing goes down so that I know if I should go with them or not.

yerboy

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3244810
I am supper excited! Lots of Pics!!! YAY!
Did you get your tank through glass cages? online?
I am seriously considering them for my build... When you get yours, let us know what you think and how the whole thing goes down so that I know if I should go with them or not.

Yes i got it from Glasscages. I will go into more detail about the build quality in the next post.

yerboy

Ok so yesterday i drove up to Glasscages to pick up my tank.
I was somewhat surprised when i pulled into the driveway of a farm with cows, ducks, and a very friendly peacock.

The warehouse where the tanks are built.
Everyone was very friendly and contrary to what i have read about glasscages all the mexicans whom i spoke with that work there all spoke very good English.

My stand

all loaded up

yerboy

Once i made it back home i snapped a few more photos

Here you can see the diffrence between standard glass and starfire. Remember this is all 3/4" glass.

You can see the build quality is no Elos and some trimming of silicon is called for to clean it up. Some of the glass could have used some cleaner cuts but overall for what it cost me im quite happy. Given i cant add water for 3 weeks of manufacture date 3-11-10 so i cant comment on if its even water tight as of today.

And with the help of a few friends Mike whom took in all my fish and coral when i moved and Jack over at TritonsGarden.com we got the tank in the garages where it will undergo a little maintenance and the stand will be stained.

RO/DI

rlablan

I love the stand. Where is the door on that guy? And also... I thought this tank was gonna be something like a 6 footer?? I must have misread somewhere.

Lol there aren't mexicans in Tennessee... Are there? (no really...)
Do you have your light yet or not?

yerboy

if you see the last pic of the tank sitting on the stand, the molding you see on the front of the stand is the door.
its 48X36X24.
I have a 10bulb ATI powermodule fixture.
ill get a pick of it tomorrow.

yerboy

Here are a few more photos.
This is 100lbs of BRS reefsaver rock, i have 75lbs more that should arrive today and another 100lbs of LR at a friends house that i may end up not even using.
I must say it looks much better in person.
I was thinking of doing a half moon shape on the left side and a bonsai type tower on the right. Not sure yet but ill play around with it till im happy.

And here is my light. Its the ATI Powermodule 10x54

rlablan

wow that is one huge light.
Tank looks good. I personally like the half moon thing, but I am not so sure that I am into the bonsai towers. That seems to be sort of a new trend these days... I can't get on that band wagon...

srfisher17

Sounds like you did a double-take when you pulled into Glasscages. Me too. I had my last tank from them delivered to a closer city, really cheap shipping that way! I sure love their stuff, though. This thread makes me want to move again, just so I can play with all the new toys.

yerboy

got the back of the tank painted and 2 coats of stain on the stand today. tomorrow i will add the 3rd or 4th coat if needed. Ill get some pics up soon. Also if anyone is interested i posted in the monthly hobby expense thread in the aquarium.

yerboy

Got allot done this weekend, my back and arms are killing me. Anyone know of a calculator to determine glass weight?
Anyways saturday we got the stand in and the light up.

Sunday we moved the tank in. Took 3 of us and it was everything we could do to lift this baby onto the stand.

175lbs of BRS Reef Saver rock. Gave it a quick hose down outside because its pretty dusty then loaded it all inside. for size reference that cardboard is 3'x4'

Loaded it all in and started aquascapping i have since changed it around a little and some sure i will play with it for a while before im happy.
Picture taken with 2 Blue+

Here with all 10 bulbs "6 Blue+ 4 Fiji Purple"

yerboy

I was a bit concerned that it would be too blue but overall im quite pleased with the blulb combo.

Today i hope to start my plumbing and would love to get my sand and water added this week.

i<3reefs

I totally understand the weight issue of your aquarium. I had my brother help me lift my glasscages aquarium which I had made 8ft long. That was the only time I've ever thrown up in my mouth due to picking something up, lucky I didn't end up with a hernia.

nissan577

really amazing!!!! sweet scape!!!! im not gonna lie i wanna make a tank like yours but that cant happened

king_neptune

I actually like the lighting color. I missed what kind they were. Looked like T5's/VHO.
Also what spectrum are the bulbs.
OVerall very pretty tank. I dig rimless. And this starfire glass is a new concept. I LIKE IT!

socalnano24

You may not need the info now, but glass weight is roughly 160 pounds per cubic foot, or for your 3/4" glass around 10 psf. Which calcs out to about 400 pounds just for your glass.... thats heavy!
Tank is looking great btw.