Yerboy's rimless SPS build

yerboy

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3253051
I actually like the lighting color. I missed what kind they were. Looked like T5's/VHO.
Also what spectrum are the bulbs.
OVerall very pretty tank. I dig rimless. And this starfire glass is a new concept. I LIKE IT!
the light is a 10 bulb ATI powermodule T5HO fixture
Light spectrum is kinda hard to say the ATI Blue + is around 22k while the Fiji purple is a red/pink daylight bulb.. not sure what else to call it.
Originally Posted by SocalNano24

http:///forum/post/3253062
You may not need the info now, but glass weight is roughly 160 pounds per cubic foot, or for your 3/4" glass around 10 psf. Which calcs out to about 400 pounds just for your glass.... thats heavy!
Tank is looking great btw.
yah a little searching and i found my tank weighs about 365lbs not counting the overflow or bottom bracing. Pretty good bit for 2 people to be lifting.

rlablan

Sorry I have been away so long... Work... ugh

Glad to see the progress. That tank looks awesome.
Boy does that thing make your living room/stairway/entry blue. lol The people across the street might think there are aliens in your house.

Sow when is the ETA for water???!!!???

king_neptune

Just read up on that ATI light. Its a very impressive array for the relitive low price. I really dig the fact you get to choose each of your ten bulbs from a list. I can see how you get to pick your own unique color scheme. And it shows from the pics you gave us. That purple hue adds just the right tint. Excellent choice.

yerboy

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3253295
Sorry I have been away so long... Work... ugh

Glad to see the progress. That tank looks awesome.
Boy does that thing make your living room/stairway/entry blue. lol The people across the street might think there are aliens in your house.

Sow when is the ETA for water???!!!???
I hope i can put water in it this weekend. If not then maybe next weekend as im out of town all next week on business.

ryancw01

Wow...really good looking tank so far. You might already know this, but you might want to put several coats of Kilz on the ******** of the stand. This will waterproof it so if you have any kind of accident with your sump the saltwater will not get into the wood. When I built my stand, I put about 4 coats on just to be safe.

yerboy

Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3253351
Wow...really good looking tank so far. You might already know this, but you might want to put several coats of Kilz on the ******** of the stand. This will waterproof it so if you have any kind of accident with your sump the saltwater will not get into the wood. When I built my stand, I put about 4 coats on just to be safe.
I have painted the inside of the stand white just for looks, the sump will be located in the room behind the tank so the only equipment that will be in the stand are my battery backup, vortech controllers, and my Reefkeeper and power bars.

yerboy

Ok so i have got some work done. The water is in and plumbed. 2 part dosers are in place and calibrated.

Here you can see the water level in my overflow runs almost silent, the center pipe is an emergency drain. I will also be installing a float censor in the overflow to turn off my return pump should the water level rise to high.

Simple plumbing

This is the gate valve that controls the overflow's water level
and dosing pumps

Sump

rlablan

Lookin good!
That closet under the stairs looks a whole lot smaller now. Gosh, I thought it was like..... 3 times the size that it is.

king_neptune

gonna be tight to clean behind it :)
looks like its coming along. I'm really interested in this since its an SPS exclusive tank.
Your going to get AMAZING growth as a result!

king_neptune

BTW, is that an MP40?
And better yet, a single MP40?
oh, how AWESOME!
that would totally rock if you were able to do the whole thing off just one MP40!

yerboy

its 1 mp40 for now, the 2nd one is on my 20L and will move over when my livestock does. But with my reeflow return and 1 mp40 im getting tons of flow already.

rlablan

How are you liking your tank and stand so far? I just ordered my gc.com tank yesterday. I did not order a canopy though. Were there any issues or things that bug you??

rlablan

What do you mean that the stand was unlevel? Like it wasn't built nicely??
As far as the silicone goes- Do you think it's any worse that the tanks bought at ***** or pets mart? You know... The generic tanks that you buy for cheap? Is the silicone from GC worse than those?
Thanks,
Rae

yerboy

When i say the stand wasnt level i mean it would teetertot if thats even a word. with a few shims it balances out nicely.
I dont know about any tanks from ***** or those type tanks as i have never looked at or owned one. I will say its nothing like the silicon job i have seen on Oceanic, Marineland or those type tanks. The builders do not trim the silicon once its built as the other larger tank builders do, so you take a razor blade and clean it yourself.

yerboy

Ok time for a much needed update.
things are coming along smoothly, i never seen an ammonia spike but there were a few weeks here and there that i was out of town and unable to test so i may have missed it. Yesterday i finally got the remainder of my livestock back "a local friend had been holding everything since jan 29th".
first off is a photo of my almost 3 month old daughter Madison

and my first daughter pic taken a few years ago

anyways on to the tank.

spanko

Glad to see you back. IMO if you never added another coral to this tank and let it grow out it would be just perfect! Nicely done.