Zoanthids: Some Eyecandy!

oceana

Originally Posted by fishmamma
I recently picked up a small frag of baby blue centers with lime green skirts. Put them on the san bed under the halides and they started losing color.....so I moved them to the PC tank and the color is brightening once again. What gives? I am still waiting to hopefully get the color back in the other blue and green zoos I lost under the PC lights.
So in this lesson I learned that each zoanthid is different in their light needs.
But really though....so I will have a TON of new zoas coming in soon, some frags may have doubles so I plan on splitting them between the MH tank and the PC tank and take notes on what happens. The saga continues.......

Nice acquisitions Wax.

thats just the world of zoanthids. drives me nuts. especialy when i send out somthing to a new reefers and try to explain that they ARE the same zoanthid. i guess they are alot like acros. just because it blue in my tank does not meean it would turn green in yours. dang this hobby lol

wax32

Originally Posted by oceana
good luck
they love a dirty tank. some people have great luck but in most tanks they just fade away to nothing
About the Parazoanthus: I feed the hell out of my tank so I think it would qualify as "dirty".

So far so good after about a week.

wax32

Originally Posted by oceana
thats just the world of zoanthids. drives me nuts. especialy when i send out somthing to a new reefers and try to explain that they ARE the same zoanthid. i guess they are alot like acros. just because it blue in my tank does not meean it would turn green in yours. dang this hobby lol
I agree. Some of mine look better to my eye under the VHO's, some look better under the MH. OVERALL though, I am happy with how mine are looking under the VHO's.

milomlo

Seriously you need to stop

Just joking

patiently waiting for them to grow so you can frag me some ***)

wax32

OK. Here is a shot of one of my jumbo Nassarius snails.
http://www.zooxanthellae.com
Nassarius sp.
AND I got two each of two more types of hermits today:

2x Calcinus laevimanus

I also got 2 Paguristes cadenati
but neither would cooperate with photo taking. I'll try to get a picture later.

fishmamma

Originally Posted by wax32
I agree. Some of mine look better to my eye under the VHO's, some look better under the MH. OVERALL though, I am happy with how mine are looking under the VHO's.
All this after the lecture I got on keeping zoanthids needing to be under MH for optimum color.

wax32

Some of them do look better under MH I must admit. As a few of us on this board are finding out, they are all different. A couple of mine make me think they would look better under halides, some seem about the same, and some that wouldn't open at all under halides are open and starting to spread under my VHO's.
It's a huge learning process!

waterpolo

Originally Posted by wax32
OK. Here is a shot of one of my jumbo Nassarius snails.
http://www.zooxanthellae.com
Nassarius sp.
AND I got two each of two more types of hermits today:

2x Calcinus laevimanus

I also got 2 Paguristes cadenati
but neither would cooperate with photo taking. I'll try to get a picture later.

Are you a collector?

celacanthr

Ooooooh....I need to send you a pic of this variety that the people, that I bought my blue brittle, have for sale... although it is big-ish..and predatory-ish

wax32

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
Ooooooh....I need to send you a pic of this variety that the people, that I bought my blue brittle, have for sale... although it is big-ish..and predatory-ish
Send it.

wax32

Originally Posted by Bronco300
alright mr wax, lets see some stripes

The rock has about 10 on it. This is the largest one. They are sorta spaced apart but I hope they will spread and cover the rock.