240 FOWLR in Progress

hammerhed7

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2505431
Hey Hammer, sorry to hear about the Oscar (I used to keep them as well), but you will love the Undy...BTW, I'm sure I speak for everyone whom would love to see pics of your 220 in wall tank.....please!

Will get some posted by the weekend

hammerhed7

Nice wrasse, I have a paddlefin in my 220, and he drives the other fish crazy. He is not the biggest fish, but he is the fastest, and grabs every piece of food that hits the water because he can, he the drops it and goes for the next one, the lions get mad and chase him but cant come close to catching him, pretty entertaining.
Looking forward to seeing the full list added.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2511935
$400 for both???? Oh MAN!!! Go for it! I want to get "Scrape" (my daughter named my crosshatch because of his "scrapes" of blue on his face) a female companion but cant find one for less than $200.
For that price you should DEFINITELY get the pair.
Otherwise, I was at my LFS this weekend and they had a 8" male bluethroat that looked unreal. So eather way you are styling.
BTW...I like the banana wrasse. It is a great addition. I think that you will be very happy with him.
Yeah, best price I can remember seeing on a pair of crosshatches. IMO, the banana wrasse is a great 1st fish. I really like this whole group of cigar shaped wrasse and think they really don't get the attention they deserve. Very easy to keep, should get along with your planned fish and, like
Hammerhed7 said, very quick and fun to watch; the way they zip around at feeding time is amazing, and they'll eat about anything. I'm sure you know, these wrasse are great jumpers; I lost a similar wrasse to the floor and learned to keep the tank covered the hard way.

kjr_trig

Well, the Wrasse is looking great and eating anything offered (primarily Formula 1 Pellets). Chris, Steve and Hammer, I was glad you guys all thought it was a good 1st addition, like I said, a little implusive and "out of planned order", but I couldn't resist. Now I'm on the lookout for the M & F Bluethroats.

CC, I ordered my refugium light today, I went with the same one you have, it should work great....Any suggestions of how to get hold of some Chaeto?
As far as the Crosshatch pair, the Male had great color, and was right at the front of the tank, but his stomach was a little "sunken", which turned me away a little, they have been in there for 3 monthes though.

ccampbell57

KJ - That light is GREAT. I would run it 18-22 hours a day for Chaeto growth. I did that for a while and I had to throw away chaeto sometimes. You can also use small chunks of it for food for your omnivors.
As for getting your hands on some, there are a couple of people on this site that are selling Chaeto for $15 shipped. I usually go into any of my LFS and ask them to dig in their reef tank refugiums and they get me a 6" ball for $5-6. If you cant find any let me know and I will ship you some free of charge, call it a "new tank present" :)
I would check with your LFS first.

ccampbell57

The sunken stomach would scare me a little too, but it may be that they are not feeding him correctly. You may be able to bargain them down even more.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2512999
The sunken stomach would scare me a little too, but it may be that they are not feeding him correctly. You may be able to bargain them down even more.
I agree; a sunken stomach can be a sign of many ailments; an instant red light for me under any circumstances. Wise decision!

kjr_trig

Well here is my update....Yesterday I ordered three fish from SWF.com, a Female Bluethroat Trigger, Flame Angel, and Indian Yellowtail Angel (exotic way of saying Cream Angel
)....Just got an email saying the Female was not up to their standards
Oh well probably for the best, this way I can do the Male and Female Bluethroats together....SWF asked if I would like to order anything in place of the Trig, I was very very very tempted to click on the juvi Blond Naso Tang but refrained for now, I would rather get the 2 triggers in a few weeks from now....2 Angels hopefully will be here by weekend, pictures to follow.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2524151
Woohoo!!!! Any reason you went with a cream angelfish?
On the "Hardiness Scale", I have seen a couple books rate the Yellowtail the only Angel as a 5 (5 being the hardiest), it is also a good medium sized angel, kind of in between a dwarf and a larger angel, max size about 8 inches...I think they are pretty cool looking as well....The Emperor will still likely be in a few months down the road.

ccampbell57

Great fish so far Kirk! One of my LFS had a couple of cream angels in the other week and they were AWESOME! I was really tempted to put it in my tank (I am glad that I am overstocked as it is saving me money)...
You will love this fish. It is a mild tempered angel with great color. The flame really rounds out your coloration now. You have the yellow, black, and red. Very nice choices

hammerhed7

Personally I would have never thought of adding a cream angel to your list, but with the other fish your planning it will really stand out.

kjr_trig

Fish are acclimating...My first order from SWF.com has appeared to produce 2 healthy and beautiful fish.
After I get them in the tank, I have to scurry off to work for a bit, I will try to get pics of them in their new home later.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2528864
Do you QT???

Eventually....For now my 25 gallon tank is freshwater, and I need to find a home for the inhabitants, then I will turn it into a QT, I am not in much of a hurry though, I feel pretty comfortable, I didn't spend $400 on a UV Sterilizer for nothin.

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2528737
Fish are acclimating...My first order from SWF.com has appeared to produce 2 healthy and beautiful fish.
After I get them in the tank, I have to scurry off to work for a bit, I will try to get pics of them in their new home later.

Wow those look amazing and will make perfect additions to your tank .
I am so jelious at this moment .

kjr_trig

Well both fish are doing well, the Yellowtail Angel is right at home and roaming the tank picking at the live rock. The Flame is very reserved and has found the rocks on the left side to be a good place for him. The Sunset Wrasse (Neon) has thankfully showed no aggression toward either and is going about his business, I think he has grown half an inch in the 11 days I have had him. Both fish are breathing normally and look good.
I will try to get a pic of the 2 together.