2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/200#post_3340107
Well the table works great. I tested it out the other day, I ripped and cross cut a few pieces. Very happy with the upgrades that they made to the newer unit, particularly the rip fence and the gravity assisted portable stand. My old boss who I did renovation work for hand the older Rigid as well as the current Bosch portable contractor saw. I liked the Bosch better than the Rigid but I like this new one better than the Bosch. Big thumbs up there.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering of someone could answere me this question. What's the best type of blade to cut 3/8" acrylic with? The saw came with a all purpose 40T blade but I like to use at least 60T blades for cutting lumber. My boss gave me a gift certificate to Lowes and I'd like to go out and get a new blade or two for the new saw. I have my eyes on a 80T fine finish blade ATM.
Corey, There are blades that are specifically made for cutting plastics very pricey, I priced one for my saw 200$, I think well worth it. The teeth are very flat on the sides we use them in our shop all the time. If your are cutting thicker plastic like 3/8" it will make a huge difference and more accurate cuts. I am sure you can get them down in the states cheaper. Good luck

2quills

Awesome, guys...thank you! It appears that I'm looking for an 80T blade with the TCG (triple tooth grind) design. Looks like that should do well with cast material.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/220#post_3340126
TCG will give you some splinters on the cuts, but most importantly watch your feed rate into the blade. Even a good plywood blade could work in a pinch as well.
Well I won't be in much of a pinch for the project that I have in mind. That Freud is looking like a winner with the MTCG design. Can't use my Lowes card on it but I'm putting it down on my list of materials needed.

sparty059

When you're done with your project, you can just FedEx me all your equipment... I'm drooling over this right now! haha.

acrylic51

I have the Freud blade, but must often I use my Diablo TCG from Lowes. Actually the Diablo was meant only for laminate flooring, since I lay alot for friends, but I found it works super on acrylic. Make some practice cuts on 3/8" you just have to watch and be mindfull of your feed rate to the blade. I've been lazy at times, and overheated a blade and you can actually see the blade bend from heat build up on a bad cheap blade.

2quills

Started playing around with some different moldings this evening. Just trying to get an idea of which direction I wish to go with this thing. I kind of like the look that I've got going here. It's far from finished and nothing is permanent as of right now. I have some more ideas that I have planed and want to try out also but I need to get some more pieces first. This is just a sneak peak.

al&burke

Corey - I like the dental tooth molding - I think it looks great with the crown molding - [strike]I think it is a bit much on the door, that is just my taste please do not be offended, I think on the doors a simplier smaller molding would finish it off great[/strike]. you know what I looked again and I like it - I take back what i wrote earlier. That is an amazing looking stand. One of these days I am going to do an all wood stand. Can't wait to see stain of this one.
Al

acrylic51

Corey the stand and canopy look incredible!!!!!!
I had looked at that molding myself. I actually love the dentil molding on the doors.......I see someone likes that new nailer they got the other day.......Sharp Brother!!!! Any handles, or going with the shaved looked? Did you ever check out those self closing hinges I had showed you?

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/220#post_3340864
Corey the stand and canopy look incredible!!!!!!
I had looked at that molding myself. I actually love the dentil molding on the doors.......I see someone likes that new nailer they got the other day.......Sharp Brother!!!! Any handles, or going with the shaved looked? Did you ever check out those self closing hinges I had showed you?
dentil - dental man I can't type tonight and I didn't have beers with friends tonight.

acrylic51

It's all good Al.....I knew exactly what you were talking about......I would have loved to see raised panels on the doors, with that molding.....

2quills

Thanks, guys.
Al: I think you were right the first time with calling it dentil. I saw some pictures of a custom stand that had used it and I fell in love with it. Told myself I have to make something kind of like that. Actually seeing it in person I really don't feel overwhelmed by the doors at all. I think once the darker color is on there it will soften things up a bit and it won't seem to stand out as much. If I had any beer right now I'd have one with ya.
Shawn: Thanks, I actually haven't nailed anything on yet. Well, the piece of crown molding is balancing on one finish nail in the center of it. The molding in the middle is clamped, the bottom piece is just laying up against the stand and the stuff in the doors was just cut so it fits snug all on it's own. I had looked at the hinges breifly before but I do want to look at them again because I think I wan't to use them because the canopy door is heavy and I don't want it slamming too hard. I debated whether or not to make raised panels but I figured I didn't have the tools to make it look like a professional cut on a commercial machine to make it look nice. But I do still have some other ideas about the doors too that I'm not spilling the beans about just yet.
Thanks, Meow...It's chuggin along...slowly but surely lol.

acrylic51

Corey a smart guy like you knows ways around not having all the tools.....You could easily do raised panels. I'll have to tell you the cheat way sometime....I looked at everything from WoodCraft to do the raised panels, and man!!!!! If I did a ton of them yes, but no plans to do a lot of them. That thing does loo really good.....Adding color will soften it up, but it looks good!!!!!