2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/400#post_3382746
I think its a sign that your stand didnt like the door either..... if your stand is alive that is.........
I would go with option B also cause this is something that should last longer than your tank if taken care of. You just as well have it the way you like instead of having problems with it for a long time.
Sometimes I think it is alive and that it likes to taunt me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/400#post_3382743
i liiiiiiiike looooowesss. that place is just dangerous.
Me too, very dangerous. Even worse if I go in there on a pay day weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/400#post_3382754
That made me cringe when i saw the broken door. Crappy.
I would go with option B as well. Might as well have it the way you want it. I know that would get annoying to have to do maintenance on the tank that way. Plus you might end up having the same thing happen and have the door fall again.
That stand looks amazing BTW. I can't wait to see it in the house.
Thanks, I think you guys talked me into it. Just got back from lowes and dropped a cool $82 and all I got was a new piece of crown molding and 2 - 6ft pieces of poplar boards. I didn't buy any of the smaller trim molding yet, I'm going to see if I can salvage and re use the old stuff.

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/420#post_3382812
Sometimes I think it is alive and that it likes to taunt me.
I said the same thing about my Pickup when i restored it. we were painting it and got to the last fender and my uncle said i needed to rename the truck to my ex girlfriends name and then the paint alligatored on that fender.
OT are you putting any pusher or puller fans on your hood or do you think the air vents you put in will be good enough

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/420#post_3382836
I said the same thing about my Pickup when i restored it. we were painting it and got to the last fender and my uncle said i needed to rename the truck to my ex girlfriends name and then the paint alligatored on that fender.
OT are you putting any pusher or puller fans on your hood or do you think the air vents you put in will be good enough
haha, the good ol ex g/f curse.
Yeah I'm planning on about 4 fans total. I'm going to keep the 2 vents on the back but instead of doing a retro fit for my lights inside of the canopy I've decided that I'm going to diy a led/T5 fixture and mount it or just set it ontop of the canopy instead. So that means I'll be cutting open the top. But I don't plan on doing that untill the fixture is actually built. I'm going to do two 6" fans on each side of the canopy, and then I'm going to build like a box that goes around them and do some type of duct work and vent them out of the back or top of the stand.
They'll go here...

And then I'm thinking about adding 2 fans underneath the stand possibly. I just don't want any stagnant air above the tank and around the sump. If I keep fresh air circulating it should help keep the ph stable a little bit.
New door taking shape.

And no, I didn't leave it up there this time.

al&burke

Looking good buddy - sorry about your mishap - couldn't happen to a nicer guy LOL - I think you will be better off with Plan B anyways

2quills

The other day Cipher asked me about ventilation for the canopy. I figured it would be a good time to take a break from working on the doors and switch gears for a minute. I went up to Altex the other day and picked up a couple of 120mm fans and set them up temporarily. I still want to get a couple more and install them in the stand as well.
The fans are Cooler Masters: $10 a piece.
69 CFM
19 dB-A (very quiet)
4 blue LED
12v DC
50,000 hours life
4.2 watts

Venting the fans out of the back and away from the stand.

Right now I'm just driving them with this 3-12v power supply that I picked up at walmart. $15 It works pretty good because I am able to set it on full speed at 12v or switch it to any one of the lower voltages if I want to slow them down or make them even more quieter. It also dims or brightens the led's when switch between voltages.

I'm thinking about upgrading to one of these fan controllers. When it's all said and done I'll probably have 6-8 fans total including the ones on my light fixture. One of these controllers can control all of the fans. They have the ability to set the fans on timers or control them by temperature probe. For instance, I can put my two canopy fans on the same channel and install one of the temp probes in the canopy...I could set the fans to kick on low speed if the temp in the canopy drops below 78 degrees. Or medium speed from 78-80 degrees and even have them kick on high speed whenever the temp rises above 80. Pretty cool huh? They're not that expensive, really. I kind of like this one.

And a couple more quick shots.

That's all for now.

kiefers

Hi Corey! Looks real good! I like the fans and the black lights. thinking about doing a DIY LED for my tank, have any ideas? I'll buy the Plane tix!! Lol.....

2quills

Thanks. I think you should Keith. We could use some more led build threads on this site. That's one area where we are lacking compared to other sites. I'm sure people would be willing to follow along and help.

1snapple

I am always willing to help where i can with LEDs. PM me and i can try to help.
Need some specs first though =D.
And i agree 100% with corey here. need more LED builds.

kiefers

okay then..... I will get into the research and when we get home tomorrow night I will get some spec's out and WE can get some threads out here

2quills

Some shots of my first DIY acrylic tank... 15 gallon ATO reservoir tank 14" x 14" x 18", 1/4" cast material with 2" euro bracing.
I figured that I would try to get a little bit of practice in before I go out and spend the money on materials for my sump. I think it turned out pretty good but time will tell once I leak test it.
Cut pieces...

I made a jig for the router...I took approximately 1/8" off of the right side of the wood jig, essentially using my router as a joiner to clean up the edges. It took a little bit of tweaking with a couple of scrap pieces but it ended up working out great.

First joint coming together...

I did all 4 sides first and then set the whole thing on top of the bottom piece, welded all the way around the bottom then set a piece on top of the tank and added some weight.

The joints came out pretty clean, not perfect, but I think it will hold (fingers crossed).

Stay tuned for the results of the leak testing...coming soon.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/420#post_3385415
Looks good, can I get picks of the joints on the bottom?
Sure, the camera has a hard time focusing in but here's a couple with the tank flipped over. I have a few tiny micro bubbles here and there. I've seen a lot worse on the acrylic tanks up at the lfs. The guy who owns the one I go to build all of tanks in the store himself so I'm holding out hope that this one will be ok. I'd also like to pick up a new bottle for my torch so I can try flame polishing it to give it that nice crystal clear look on the edges.

al&burke

Looks really good corey. Is your ATO resevoir going on the canopy part of your stand or in the bottom part.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/420#post_3385420
Freakin amazing!! Someone brings some talent to the dinner table! pass the salt please. Lol....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/420#post_3385422
Looks really good corey. Is your ATO resevoir going on the canopy part of your stand or in the bottom part.
Thanks guys. I appreciate that. Al it will go in the bottom stand on the left side of the sump. Right were it is in the last two pics in post 435. I think I'll snag your nifty idea for keeping the tube above water level.