2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

acrylic51

Looking very good Corey!!!!!!!!
As far as a bracket for ATO; no I haven't fabbed and built it as of yet. I know for the ATO I'm going to use the Tunze, because of the optical sensors over actual float valve. I don't see it being a major issue though. It could always be added in after setup. You would honestly need to know your exact water level and then depending on size and throw of the float switch/valve would sort of dictate the height the mount bracket would need to be mounted. Sort of the same deal with proble holder brackets unless you design it to use suction cups for mounting.

2quills

Yeah that's a good point. I think I'll just wait until I purchase exactly what I'm going to be using. Kicking around ideas now for like a removable and adjustable bracket system for sensors and probes. That way I don't have to be stuck with something permanent if I don't happen to like it. Suction cups can be somewhat unreliable and I won't be able to reach behind the tank to use the magnet holders.
Decided to add the intake chamber (bubble tower).

2quills

Sump is complete!!!
I made a few changes along the way. I added a second intake chamber for the fuge/scrubber side. Also changed the plumbing scheme around a little bit. I figured that since I'm not going to run a traditional fuge with macro algae that I would just have both of my drain lines drain equally into both chambers. I'll be shooting for approximately 600gph turnover. 300gph per each side of the sump...and 300gph is the approximate flow rate recommended for the size of scrubber I'll be running on the tank. The scrubber side will also have a shallow sand bed and perhaps some rock rubble suitable for a breeding pod population. So it should work out good (hopefully). If not then I still have options, I will still be able to fine tune the flow going to each side if I deem it necessary and run with a tradition fuge. We'll see how it goes. :)

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/500#post_3395774
looks great,update on ur thread shawn?
I've done very little as of lately.....Work schedule is really taking it's toll on production here.....65+ hours a week doesn't leave a lot of build time, but as Corey pointed out!!!!!!!
there will be a major announcement shortly when all the details are worked out......Josh shoot me your email, and I'll fill you in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/500#post_3395875
Thanks. Shawn has a real doozy of an update coming

Corey still sitting going over the figures, and should be able to get everything as we had talked about, but will be close. Wanna run some numbers, figures by you tomorrow, and get your thoughts. Nothing major, just little things nagging the back of my brain.....Wanna hear your take on the CL plan/idea I threw at you the other night......We won't discuss it here though and clutter up your build!!!!!!

acrylic51

Hey Corey.....Good talking to you today!!!!! Found this thread not sure if you read this one, but might interest you since I know you were working on the scrubber....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998035

2quills

Thanks, Shawn. I'll give it a look tonight. It looks like the origional dump bucket style of scrubber. They work pretty good when done right.

sweatervest13

Corey, I love the look of your sump!!!! Looks super PRO. Well done!!
What size PVC did you use for your ATS? I am thinking about adding one to my sump as well. Shoot I know my lowes bill was high for my plumbing I would hate to see yours. I think I counted about 6-8 unions and 4 ball valves. LOL.
Shawn, you and Corey win the prize for drumming up interest and excitement with you tease on your build. LOL can't wait to see what it is.

acrylic51

The updates/updates will be coming shortly. Hopefully tomorrow or worse case Friday major update. This update will require lots of participation from everyone with thought and logic involved.
Have you guys read the update info in Tunzes/Vortech war??? Appears from the outside tests possibly flawed!!!?!?!?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/500#post_3398881
The updates/updates will be coming shortly. Hopefully tomorrow or worse case Friday major update. This update will require lots of participation from everyone with thought and logic involved.
Have you guys read the update info in Tunzes/Vortech war??? Appears from the outside tests possibly flawed!!!?!?!?
Is there more info out there on the flow output on propeller pumps? I read the release from Tunze but I have not seen anything else yet. Do you have a link?
Again, well done on generating interest. I am super excited to see what requires lots of participation from everyone.

acrylic51

Sorry don't have the link handy, but on RC you would find it in the Tunzes section. Appears the pumps are different styles and the way of measuring the Tunzes might have been inaccurate do to how they produce flow. Roger gave a bit of info on the precise testing method to be used, and woul assume thi will happen. When I get in I will try to locate the thread and link you.....

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/500#post_3398862
Corey, I love the look of your sump!!!! Looks super PRO. Well done!!
What size PVC did you use for your ATS? I am thinking about adding one to my sump as well. Shoot I know my lowes bill was high for my plumbing I would hate to see yours. I think I counted about 6-8 unions and 4 ball valves. LOL.
Shawn, you and Corey win the prize for drumming up interest and excitement with you tease on your build. LOL can't wait to see what it is.
Thanks Bud! I'm using 3/4" plumbing for the scrubber as recommended. You could bump it up to 1" if you wish but it really depends on what flow rates you need for the size of the screen that you actually 'need'. 1/2" pipe is too small and will get clogged fast. Working on ideas for the lighting now, not 100% sure which way I want to go with that just yet. I thought about LED but may just go with PC lights and build my own reflectors to cover the screen perfectly. The plumbing is pretty simplified but not cheap by any means. I spent alot more than I had to when I was messing around with different ideas for running it but there's easily over a $100 worth of parts on there as is and once the returns are done it will probably closer to $200 once you factor in the loc-line stuff.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/500#post_3398881
Weren't the tests conducted by Vortech? It certainly would not surprise me that the tests would come out in there favor. I really like my mp'10's and they have done well for my tank so far.

acrylic51

Gemmy....honestly you could conceive that notion, but the parties involved Sanjay and can't remember the other are both reputable individuals......I think Eco more or less funded the test.....From what I had mentioned earlier is that those tests could be somewhat tainted/bias, when in fact the pumps tested are very much different.....Some might argue the point/fact, but Vortech and others are prop pumps, but here is a link with a credible source comment on the topic......
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045940

2quills

Yeah that's awesome. The tank really looks great and proof of what leds are capable of. IMO the tank is lacking just a little bit of some red, yellow and oranges. But beautiful non the less. With a little more color that would be what I'm am shooting for in the long run.

acrylic51

I just found that thread striking and caught my attention, because in 1 of our conversations, we had talked about an individual who's tank was awesome and did major changes, but made it appear that the LEDs were kind of the downfall of the system. We both had concluded that there were to many drastic changes to actually conclude it was the LEDs not performing.....
That tank is very nice!!!!! Sometimes I do wonder if it isn't something the camera isn't picking up??? Maybe would see a different view actually seeing it as well????