700+ gallon Ray Pool

ironeagle2006

Dean what I can think off is building an overflow box were the sides are higher than the back and then remove the front for the waterfall effect. Then have your return pump come into the backside were the drain lines would be.
That way your lines are out of the tank for your return and you can keep the tank smooth on the inside.

dean1956

Yea that was sort of what I was thinking too just would like to see some kind of a pic. I think i would want a pretty good sized box in the back to keep some live rock in and maybe have two or three steps down over some other rocks and then into the water?

bmkj02

Im thinking you will have a lot of unsightly salt creeping around the area of the waterfall but I could be wrong. Idea sounds great though and looking great. Anymore pics?

dean1956

No more pics today maybe later on in the week, behind schedule like usual but moving ahead. Never gave any thought about salt creep but still will do it, just a little good house keeping.

jtt

subscribed. you are living my dream. i am getting married at an aquarium and the whole reason was because they had a stingray touch pool.

katsafados

You can also hide the box with some rock work and have the water trickle down the rock, so it'll look more like a natural water fall.
For the sand blowing away you can put a piece of clear plastic curved to direct the flow of the waterfall horizontally so it doesnt slam against the bottom. And itll act like something to help with water movement.
Ex.
Attachment 234137
Dont know how well that would work but just an idea.

dean1956

Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3167254
Do you think you are going to remove the barbs so you can had feed them and "pet" them
I dont really see the need to do that as we already do hand feed and pet them. They are not as dangerous as they have been portrayed, they are very timid creations unless you step on them or threaten them. I'll post a video as soon as it uploads.

meowzer

Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3167254
Do you think you are going to remove the barbs so you can had feed them and "pet" them
I hand feed my ray also....the barb is on the other end...so unless the tail gets hungry LOL...I should be okay....
Although I am not lucky enough to have a pond....

aquapod 24

it just seams like a good idea because it looks like there are going to be kids around it but i dont know much about rays besides that they are slimy when you step on them lol

dean1956

What you cant see under the floor is blocking about every 2 feet every which way that goes from the floor joyces to the concrete floor with shims so the floor should'nt sag at all or at least that's my plan. I decided to go ahead and put another layer of plywood on the floor so the previous seams will be stagered, but not sure whether to go with 1/4" or 1/2" what do you guys think?