700+ gallon Ray Pool

t316

Originally Posted by Dean1956
http:///forum/post/3176730
I guess I learned making curved things working at a stair building company. I was in charge of going out to the houses and tracing out their curved balcony's and landings and then coming back to the shop and making the curved bottom plates and railings , and then I had a cabinet/furniture shop for 10 yrs and it sure helps if you enjoy doing something, you know?

That's where it came from then. Very good quality looking work Dean

t316

As far as the styrofoam question, HD and Lowes do have a 1/4", so you could just double it up to get your 1/2". It's not in the 4X8 sheets like the 3/4, but rather comes folded up like an accordian. It should be over there in the roofing or insulation section somewhere.

dean1956

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3176752
As far as the styrofoam question, HD and Lowes do have a 1/4", so you could just double it up to get your 1/2". It's not in the 4X8 sheets like the 3/4, but rather comes folded up like an accordian. It should be over there in the roofing or insulation section somewhere.
Yea I saw that a while back but did'nt give it much thought so I will check it out, menards has a 1/2" white but really measures 5/8"

dean1956

I layed in the liner with the help of my wife and has about 9" of water after 2 hrs.. Probably wont stay up for a complete fill and there is alot of wrinkles to try and even out since this is a square liner in a round pool.

t316

You get all 800 gallons in there, I bet you will hear some kind of settling. I wouldn't worry too much about the small wrinkles. With that much pressure, they will probably be compressed to the point of being unnoticed.

dean1956

Well the liner is pretty heavy not to have the wrinkles but I no worry cause the custom liner (round) was over 400 compared to 138.00 shipped and the Rays dont care.
The water is 58 degrees and it smells like a vinyl factory down here.

t316

http:///forum/post/3177291
Well the liner is pretty heavy not to have the wrinkles but I no worry cause the custom was over 400 compared to 138.00 shipped and the Rays dont care.

I hear you...forget the wrinkles

dean1956

Just had a thought:
how long do you think it will take for a 400 watt heater to heat 58 degree water up to 88 degrees? I want it to get that warm so I can get the salt to mix faster and maybe it will help to get some of the wrinkles worked out.

small triggers

about 4 days!!! its gonna take a while,, what is the ambient temp in the room? can you put a heater inthe room, thall help with the water...

dean1956

Basement is 73 degrees right now and I just saw a problem: the liner is rounded down in the corner all the way around, should have pushed it down as it was filling now I'm concerned it is stretching to much there. Looks like I will be draining some water.

small triggers

and that will give you the oprotunity to have the heater in when you are filling,,, then it will take less time to heat, but do you have some extra tank heater laying around ( i have some from doing water changes) then you could just put them in and get it going faster...
I'm hoping when you ordered the linder you included drag in the sides for your size?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3177341
Basement is 73 degrees right now and I just saw a problem: the liner is rounded down in the corner all the way around, should have pushed it down as it was filling now I'm concerned it is stretching to much there. Looks like I will be draining some water.

Better to find all the "kinks" now before you get all the way full, or actually have the rays in there
Loving your progress

dean1956

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3177344
and that will give you the oprotunity to have the heater in when you are filling,,, then it will take less time to heat, but do you have some extra tank heater laying around ( i have some from doing water changes) then you could just put them in and get it going faster...
I'm hoping when you ordered the linder you included drag in the sides for your size?
I'm assuming when you say drag in the side you mean extra material and it was way over size because thats the size that was close. There is like an extra 2 feet all around.

wow! this is awesome man! i cant wait to see the the rays in their happy home when your all done! I will be following and eager to see how things progress.
Good Luck and have Fun. Also I live in a small town/Isolated state I know what its like to have to find projects to keep us busy.

dean1956

I am going to be adding the salt to the pond very soon and I need to know if I can do an imediant change over with using the filter media that I have been seeding for a couple of weeks and putting most all of the live sand I have in the kiddie pool and another tank that's been kept running for this project. Also I have about 60-70 lbs of live rock that will go into the sump. Is this enough to keep the pond running with out a cycle happening?

small triggers

should be good, you may get a slight ammonia spike though if you dont normally stir up your sand (i do part of my tank every week ...) But i dont think it would be noticable in the amount of water you have...and by the way ,,
,, I CANT WAIT!!!!

dean1956

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3178448
should be good, you may get a slight ammonia spike though if you dont normally stir up your sand (i do part of my tank every week ...) But i dont think it would be noticable in the amount of water you have...and by the way ,,
,, I CANT WAIT!!!!
normally the Rays keep the sand very stired up as they are always looking in it for food. i went to HD tonight and I think I got all the plumbing that I need to start it up. ( I hope) I filled it back up 2/3 rds with water and worked the bottom down into the corners while it was filling and it seems good to go now.