75 gallon tank build!

xcali1985

When I had used bio balls they were never submerged. The water trickled down then they sat on egg crate, about an inch above the water line. However, the theory with bio balls is surface area, so I would think they would work submerged.

xandrew245x

The way the guy I bought it off of had it set up, he had about a half of inch of his bio balls underwater, I raised the water level to be about and inch, and it seems that to much water evapped off the tank and my pumps started to suck air, I'll see what it does today, maybe it was just because of setting the tank up and things changed, we will see if it happens again.

acrylic51

Have you double checked to make sure your sump can handle the backflow of water during a power outage? Not saying a tank can't evaporate a lot of water, but your talking about raising sump water level, which might not be wise. IMHO your bio balls shouldn't be submerged.

xandrew245x

Yes, even with all the systems off, the water level in my sump is still a good 6 inches below the top of my sump, the majority of my bioballs are not submerged, but, some of them have to be or else my sump will not maintain a high enough water level to last through the day, unless I top off twice a day, now if I just get an automatic top of, I won't have any problem, and honestly i'm thinking about going that route. I will get some pictures of it tonight to show you guys what i'm talking about.

xandrew245x

Got home today, and the same result, my pump was sucking air and blowing bubbles into my tank, this doesn't make any since!

You can't see it very well, but the water level is down flush with the white grate at the bottom, this is the level when I got home today.

Topped off, water level is flush with the top of the blue sticker, submerging part of my bioballs, the only thing I can think of, is I will have to start topping off twice a day, especially if I need to lower the water level so the bio balls are not submerged at all.

snakeblitz33

Ditch the bioballs. They do nothing but convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. If you have enough flow and live rock in your display tank, there's nothing to worry about. You could leave a small sponge filter in the entrance of your sump and get the same result as using bioballs without all this hassle.

xandrew245x

Thanks snake!, I would like to eventually set up a refug, but I'm probably going to need a whole new sump for that. If I were to put sponge in the fist compartment, would i need to replace it/clean it or anything like that? I would also like to throw some snails in my sump, but i'm not to sure where to put them at.

aquaria

The pre-filter sponge could be trapping air, watch this video let me know if it helps!

Same concept i believe, removing the air will avoid the bubbles in the tank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CECTDF0_B6o

xandrew245x

I don't think it has to do with that, the intake of the pump is sitting off the bottom of the tank by a few inches, what I believe is happening, the water level is getting to low, causing the pump to suck a little air and blow bubbles into my tank.

xandrew245x

I just looked at the pictures the guy sent me when I was buying the tank, I can see that he has his water level at the max line, this has the bioballs completley underwater, and is higher than the little baffle coming from the feed line. I guess that is the right way though, since he built the sump to be used that way. Also, in the pictures his protein skimmer is all white looking, and also he gave me a bunch of cotton, I kinda put two and two together, I think he had the skimmer tower filled with cotton, is this something I should do?

snakeblitz33

put a piece of PVC... a 90 elbow on the intake of the pump pointing downwards. It will keep it from sucking in bubbles from the surface.
the filter sponges need to be kept in pairs. take one sponge out a week and wash it, alternate it every other week or two. Just always keep one in there that is seasoned.

snakeblitz33

No, skimmers should never be filled with cotton.

Polyfil is probably what you have... it can be used as filtration media.

xandrew245x

ahh, it sure looks like cotton ;P, I wouldn't mind the sponge idea, I plan on doing water changes every other week, so I could swap the sponge out when I change water, I also though about putting some LR rubble in where the bioballs are if I were to remove them.

snakeblitz33

Sure, you could do that too. Replacing those bioballs with live rock rubble and then filling your sump up to the proper depth would definitely be a good idea. You could put those sponges underneath the rubble to keep microbubbles out of your return pump too. Just a thought.
I would also put that elbow on your return pumps intake as well. It would help in any case.
Congrats on going barebottom as well. I went with sand for years and years and now that I have a barebottom tank, I don't think I will ever go back to a sand bottom.

xandrew245x

Now question is, if I swap the bio balls out for LR rubble would I have to recycle the tank, or would the bacteria just populate and grow from there. If i were to put the sponge underneath the LR, how would I get the sponge out without having to remove my rock every time I go to swap it, I have some leftover rock that I didn't use in my aquarium that would make great rubble.

acrylic51

This picture right here......I'm curious, lost, confused, but where is your return pump in relation to these bio balls......
Again I'm just looking at mere still pics, but that is a heck of a lot of flow coming from that first chamber into the bio ball area.....I recall then you possibly mentioning micro bubbles.....On a new setup this can be an issue for a bit, but can also be attributed to water flow being to fast going through the sump and the bubbles being introduced into the sump not having enough time to rise and pop before making it's way to the return pump.
To find; locate your micro bubbles......take a flash light and go to where your return pump is located and shine that flash light into that area and watch for a bit....not 10 sec or 30 seconds, but a considerable amount of time and watch for micro bubbles around the return pump. If you are then that is telling me water is flowing to fast or dropping from to high of a height, and we can deal with that issue from there.....