Anyone ever heard of an ecoaqualizer?

joncat24

if anyone wants to buy one of these, pm me and I will put you one together and ship it to ya for 1/2 the price of the ecoaqualizer...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by joncat24
if anyone wants to buy one of these, pm me and I will put you one together and ship it to ya for 1/2 the price of the ecoaqualizer...
With a pump and 6 month guarantee? Here's another link, with a favorable opinion, just as credible as the link above, IMO.
(not a competing site.) Bob Goemans, the author or this link, has written several articles, books, etc on our hobby; so he might just be credible!!
Actually, it is a competing site. Take a look at the sponsor's section. There are many competitors there. Not surprisingly, Eco Aqualizor is a sponsor... 1Journeyman

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Come'on dont be so gulible! That doesnt work. There is a sucker born everyday. By the way, here is a link that debunks it.
http://rexgrigg.com/debunked.htm
While the statement could have been said nicer, I agree with the sentiment. The "product" writeup uses a bunch of fancy sounding words to make claims that are in no way scientific...
"ECO-AqualizerTM's greatest proven and tested benefit is restoring water quality and keeping it from deteriorating. ECO-AqualizerTM keeps water in "activated state" versus it's typical stale, stagnant nature...."
That statement alone you send you running for the hills.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
While the statement could have been said nicer, I agree with the sentiment. The "product" writeup uses a bunch of fancy sounding words to make claims that are in no way scientific...
"ECO-AqualizerTM's greatest proven and tested benefit is restoring water quality and keeping it from deteriorating. ECO-AqualizerTM keeps water in "activated state" versus it's typical stale, stagnant nature...."
That statement alone you send you running for the hills.
I'd run too; that's my whole point. I'd never fall for the hype, but got a free, one tested it and like it. Most products are over-hyped; like Chemi-Pure's "no water changes and still spawning' ad thats run for years. But I still think its a great product. Nobody can make a product sound more flowery than the ad people at Marc Weiss--read a couple of their descriptions; but they're sold on this site, and, IMO, usually good stuff. Oh, and one more; I've never heard a positive comment about all of the miracle bacteria starters that promise almost overnight cycling and are sold here and everywhere else.

stdreb27

as with most stuff, if it is too good to be true, then it is probably too good to be true. For me the easiest way to tell is the marketing of the product. The bigger the louder the add the more likely it is having to over compensate for something. Like guys who drive rediculously big trucks. The more scientific it sounds without actually saying anything. Or the more it advertised independantly lab tested. Those are big flashing red lights. Why would a lab test something unless it is getting paid. Nothing is free, especially when they stick it in their advertising.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by stdreb27
as with most stuff, if it is too good to be true, then it is probably too good to be true. For me the easiest way to tell is the marketing of the product. The bigger the louder the add the more likely it is having to over compensate for something. Like guys who drive rediculously big trucks. The more scientific it sounds without actually saying anything. Or the more it advertised independantly lab tested. Those are big flashing red lights. Why would a lab test something unless it is getting paid. Nothing is free, especially when they stick it in their advertising.
i agree...but where are the people who have actually used one?
Would you buy stuff described like this:
"Stress relief and immunity enhancer – Ideal for acclimation of new sea life"
Formulated for Marine and Freshwater
Enhances beneficial microbes that compete with disease organisms
Stimulates the aquatic immune system
Enhances the production of beneficial proteins
Facilitates transport of oxygen to cells
Immuno Vital’s application is to buffer a reaction in an unbalanced water condition. The buffering causes a shift from the current stasis of the environment generally yielding increased CO2 production while inspiring a limited amount of increased light penetration. As the events of mobile CO2 and light interact, the aquarium will begin to reach a vibrant state of natural equilibrium"
What doesn't it do?This is Marc Weiss Immuno Vital- the name sends me running for the hills. But this site sells it and I like and use Weiss products.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by srfisher17
i agree...but where are the people who have actually used one?
Would you buy stuff described like this:
"Stress relief and immunity enhancer – Ideal for acclimation of new sea life"
Formulated for Marine and Freshwater
Enhances beneficial microbes that compete with disease organisms
Stimulates the aquatic immune system
Enhances the production of beneficial proteins
Facilitates transport of oxygen to cells
Immuno Vital’s application is to buffer a reaction in an unbalanced water condition. The buffering causes a shift from the current stasis of the environment generally yielding increased CO2 production while inspiring a limited amount of increased light penetration. As the events of mobile CO2 and light interact, the aquarium will begin to reach a vibrant state of natural equilibrium"
What doesn't it do?This is Marc Weiss Immuno Vital- the name sends me running for the hills. But this site sells it and I like and use Weiss products.
I really don't buy anything, I don't even really test the tank after the cycle. I have a fowlr. But most of the stuff I've on the net or in lfs are gimicks. My grandpa would say this about fishing lures. They do their jobs when they get to your tackle box. You are the fish they are trying to catch. Just b/c this site sells it doesn't validate it in my mind.
I haven't put it on my personal tank, but another one we were working on with a friend had one. And we didn't see any difference in the tank, infact the tank crashed while it was hooked up. ( I'm not blaiming the crash on the product.) So I do have personal experience with it. I pretty sceptical to begin with but, this product doesn't seem like it would do anything. And the claims it does make are simply puffery.

ajoe110

Ok it is 5 Pm EST and i just put 8 super strong magnets on my return line on a 12 inch span ,just like the picture .I will give it 2 or 3 day to see if it works.

ty williams

From what I learned in Biology 101, hydrogen bonds are necessary for H2O molecules to form water. I don't know how reducing hydrogen bonds would be anything other than impossible.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Ty Williams
From what I learned in Biology 101, hydrogen bonds are necessary for H2O molecules to form water. I don't know how reducing hydrogen bonds would be anything other than impossible.
It has to do with the valence (sp?) electrons in the make up of the atom. I guess they are saying that it removes that valence electron. Hydrogen is a unique atom since It has an atomic weight of 1. Those hydrogen bonds are the two hydrogen atoms and the two electons bonding with the 6 electrons of water and creating 8 which is a stable molecule. I'm not sure how a mag would effect that.

ty williams

Maybe the magnets effect the polarity of the H2O molecule. As i understand, the hydrogen part of H2O is slightly negative and the Oxygen is slightly positive. This opposite polarity is what causes the hydrogen bonds to form between two molecules.

reefkprz

Magnetic Water and Fuel Treatment: Myth, Magic, or Mainstream Science?
Magnetic treatment has been claimed to soften water and improve the combustibility of fuels. A literature review reveals that these claims are not well supported by data.
Mike R. Powell
Magnetic Water Treatment
A wide variety of magnetic water treatment devices are available, but most consist of one or more permanent magnets affixed either inside or to the exterior surface of the incoming water pipe. The water is exposed to the magnetic field as it flows through the pipe between the magnets. An alternative approach is to use electrical current flowing through coils of wire wrapped around the water pipe to generate the magnetic field.
Purveyors of magnetic water treatment devices claim that exposing water to a magnetic field will decrease the water's "effective" hardness. Typical claims include the elimination of scale deposits, lower water-heating bills, extended life of water heaters and household appliances, and more efficient use of soaps and detergents. Thus, it is claimed, magnetic water treatment gives all the benefits of water softened by ion-exchange without the expense and hassle of rock-salt additions.
Note that only the "effective" or "subjective" hardness is claimed to be reduced through magnetic treatment. No magnesium or calcium is removed from the water by magnetic treatment. Instead, the claim is that the magnetic field decreases the tendency of the dissolved minerals to form scale. Even though the dissolved mineral concentration indicates the water is still hard, magnetically treated water supposedly behaves like soft water.
According to some vendors, magnetically softened water is healthier than water softened by ion exchange. Ion-exchange softeners increase the water's sodium concentration, and this, they claim, is unhealthy for people with high blood pressure. While it is true that ion-exchange softening increases the sodium concentration, the amount of sodium typically found even in softened water is too low to be of significance for the majority of people with high blood pressure. Only those who are on a severely sodium-restricted diet should be concerned about the amount of sodium in water, regardless of whether it is softened (Yarows et al. 1997). Such individuals are often advised to consume demineralized water along with low-salt foods.
There is apparently no consensus among magnet vendors regarding the mechanisms by which magnetic water treatment occurs. A variety of explanations are offered, most of which involve plenty of jargon but little substance. Few vendors, if any, offer reasonable technical explanations of how magnetic water treatment is supposed to work.

reefkprz

The important question here, though, is whether magnetic water treatment works. In an effort to find the answer, I conducted a search for relevant scientific and engineering journal articles. I describe the results of this search below.
More than one hundred relevant articles and reports are available in the open literature, so clearly magnetic water treatment has received some attention from the scientific community (e.g., see reference list in Duffy 1977). The reported effects of magnetic water treatment, however, are varied and often contradictory. In many cases, researchers report finding no significant magnetic treatment effect. In other cases, however, reasonable evidence for an effect is provided.
Liburkin et al. (1986) found that magnetic treatment affected the structure of gypsum (calcium sulfate). Gypsum particles formed in magnetically treated water were found to be larger and "more regularly oriented" than those formed in ordinary water. Similarly, Kronenberg (1985) reported that magnetic treatment changed the mode of calcium carbonate precipitation such that circular disc-shaped particles are formed rather than the dendritic (branching or tree-like) particles observed in nontreated water. Others (e.g., Chechel and Annenkova 1972; Martynova et al. 1967) also have found that magnetic treatment affects the structure of subsequently precipitated solids. Because scale formation involves precipitation and crystallization, these studies imply that magnetic water treatment is likely to have an effect on the formation of scale.
Some researchers hypothesize that magnetic treatment affects the nature of hydrogen bonds between water molecules. They report changes in water properties such as light absorbance, surface tension, and pH (e.g., Joshi and Kamat 1966; Bruns et al. 1966; Klassen 1981). However, these effects have not always been found by later investigators (Mirumyants et al. 1972). Further, the characteristic relaxation time of hydrogen bonds between water molecules is estimated to be much too fast and the applied magnetic field strengths much too small for any such lasting effects, so it is unlikely that magnetic water treatment affects water molecules (Lipus et al. 1994).
Duffy (1977) provides experimental evidence that scale suppression in magnetic water treatment devices is due not to magnetic effects on the fluid, but to the dissolution of small amounts of iron from the magnet or surrounding pipe into the fluid. Iron ions can suppress the rate of scale formation and encourage the growth of a softer scale deposit. Busch et al. (1986) measured the voltages produced by fluids flowing through a commercial magnetic treatment device. Their data support the hypothesis that a chemical reaction driven by the induced electrical currents may be responsible for generating the iron ions shown by Duffy to affect scale formation.
Among those who report some type of direct magnetic-water-treatment effect, a consensus seems to be emerging that the effect results from the interaction of the applied magnetic field with surface charges of suspended particles (Donaldson 1988; Lipus et al. 1994). Krylov et al. (1985) found that the electrical charges on calcium carbonate particles are significantly affected by the application of a magnetic field. Further, the magnitude of the change in particle charge increased as the strength of the applied magnetic field increased.
Gehr et al. (1995) found that magnetic treatment affects the quantity of suspended and dissolved calcium sulfate. A very strong magnetic field (47,500 gauss) generated by a nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer was used to test identical calcium sulfate suspensions with very high hardness (1,700 ppm on a CaCO3 basis). Two minutes of magnetic treatment decreased the dissolved calcium concentration by about 10 percent. The magnetic field also decreased the average particle charge by about 23 percent. These results, along with those of many others (e.g., Parsons et al. 1997; Higashitani and Oshitani 1997), imply that application of a magnetic field can affect the dissolution and crystallization of at least some compounds.

reefkprz

Whether or not some magnetic water treatment effect actually exists, the further question, and the most important for consumers, is whether the magnetic water treatment devices perform as advertised.
Numerous anecdotal accounts of the successes and failures of magnetic water treatment devices can be found in the literature (Lin and Yotvat 1989; Raisen 1984; Wilkes and Baum 1979; Welder and Partridge 1954). However, because of the varied conditions under which these field trials are conducted it is unclear whether the positive reports are due solely to magnetic treatment or to other conditions that were not controlled during the trial.
Some commercial devices have been subjected to tests under controlled conditions. Unfortunately, the results are mixed. Duffy (1977) tested a commercial device with an internal magnet and found that it had no significant effect on the precipitation of calcium carbonate scale in a heat exchanger. According to Lipus et al. (1994), however, the scale prevention capability of their ELMAG device is proven, although they do not supply much supporting test data.
Busch et al. (1997) measured the scale formed by the distillation of hard water with and without magnetic treatment. Using laboratory-prepared hard water, a 22 percent reduction in scale formation was observed when the magnetic treatment device was used instead of a straight pipe section. However, a 17 percent reduction in scaling was found when an unmagnetized, but otherwise identical, device was installed. Busch et al. (1997) speculate that fluid turbulence inside the device may be the cause of the 17 percent reduction, with the magnetic field effect responsible for the additional 5 percent. River water was subjected to similar tests, but no difference in scale formation was found with and without the magnetic treatment device installed. An explanation for this negative result was not found.
Another study of a commercial magnetic water treatment device was conducted by Hasson and Bramson (1985). Under the technical supervision of the device supplier, they tested the device to determine its ability to prevent the accumulation of calcium carbonate scale in a pipe. Very hard water (300 to 340 ppm) was pumped through a cast-iron pipe, and the rate of scale accumulation inside the pipe was determined by periodically inspecting the pipe's ********. Magnetic exposure was found to have no effect on either the rate of scale accumulation or on the adhesive nature of the scale deposits.
Consumer Reports magazine (Denver 1996) tested a $535 magnetic water treatment device from Descal-A-Matic Corporation. Two electric water heaters were installed in the home of one of the Consumer Reports staffers. The hard water (200 ppm) entering one of the heaters was first passed through the magnetic treatment device. The second water heater received untreated water. The water heaters were cut open after more than two years and after more than 10,000 gallons of water were heated by each heater. The tanks were found to contain the same quantity and texture of scale. Consumer Reports concluded that the Descal-A-Matic unit was ineffective.

srfisher17

Still lots of good and intelligent info on why this Eco-aqualizer SHOULDN'T work; but no word from anyone (1st hand) who has tried it and says it DOESN'T work. I turned the one I have in my "small fish" tank off 3 days ago and saved the crud in a jar, in the fridge. There is no question that my skimmer is pulling lighter colored crud now.Snake oil? Maybe; but I have a couple fairly shy fish (black cap basslet & Australian Scott's fairy Wrasse) that are much more active when this gizmo is running--even my son noticed it. It shouldn't work, my free one does.
SCOREBOARD: 56 posts on this thread; at least 3 from people who tried and like it, 1 second hand thumbs down, ZERO posts from people who used it and didn't like it---the rest explaining why it it can't work.

stdreb27

Still lots of good and intelligent info on why this Eco-aqualizer SHOULDN'T work; but no word from anyone (1st hand) who has tried it and says it DOESN'T work. I turned the one I have in my "small fish" tank off 3 days ago and saved the crud in a jar, in the fridge. There is no question that my skimmer is pulling lighter colored crud now.Snake oil? Maybe; but I have a couple fairly shy fish (black cap basslet & Australian Scott's fairy Wrasse) that are much more active when this gizmo is running--even my son noticed it. It shouldn't work, my free one does.
SCOREBOARD: 56 posts on this thread; at least 3 from people who tried and like it, 1 second hand thumbs down, ZERO posts from people who used it and didn't like it---the rest explaining why it it can't work.
I would say I have first hand experience. I've helped with that tank enough.

thereefer9

Wait wait, So if all this thing is is a couple polarized Magnets tapped on the outside of PVC pipe? So even if it dosent work what could hurt to try it. If all u got to do to make one is go down to Home depot buy some Magnets and tape it onto ur return line from ur pump on the outside can that really hurt? Even if it dosent work does it negativly affect the Tank? Im addicted to gizmos for tanks now so When Im setting up my sump I think I might just build one of these. What could hurt it right?
Keep the Pictures and posts comen.
Thanks For this good thread

1journeyman

That's really not fair to keep score like that. I mean, we could start a thread asking how many people drip crude oil into their reef tanks every few years to replicate a ship wreck. You'd get a bunch of negative replies, but I doubt few first hand experiences of people trying it and posting their results

The skimmate issue... You know what? Let's give you that. Let's assume the magnets do increase skimmate production in some way. Read some of the other claims on their webpage. That's what makes this snake oil. Whoever wrote up the info on their webpage doesn't have any sort of chemistry of biological training.
Like I said, I'll be willing to entertain the thought that the magnetic field generated by the magnets allows the skimmer to pull more junk out of the water.