BIGUN Has A BOOBOO

ann83

For a 10 gallon tank:
Day one: add 400mg of Neomycin
Day two: do a 5 gallon water change, then add 200mg of Neomycin
Day three: do a 5 gallon water change, then add 200mg of Neomycin
Day four: do a 5 gallon water change, then add 200mg of Neomycin...
Days five through ten: exactly the same as day four.
You are just replacing the meds that have been removed with the water that you removed in the water change. The meds are theoretically evenly distributed in the water, so if you remove half the water, you are also removing half the salt, half the meds, etc. You add back water that has salt, and meds, in proportion to the amount of water you add back... make sense?
Also, if you ever have to do a larger water change to control ammonia, add back more meds. If you do an 8 gallon water change instead of a 5 gallon water change, add back 320mg of Neomycin, etc. Same thing for if you have to do a second water change in the same day, still add back the amount of med you removed with the water change.

jtt

Im subscribing... I just stumbled upon this thread and I was overcome with sadness... its tragic when a creature so magnificent has an injury like that. I want a horse tank so bad, but if something ever happened to one of my horses I wouldnt know what to do with myself (or the horse) because they are such awesome creatures... vs if something happened to my pain in the a$$ 3 stripe damsel I would be thanking my lucky stars.

meowzer

AHHHH...The syringe is in ML.....The bottle says 1ml=200mg ....so I put 2 ML
That is what I just did...please confirm this for me.....

bender77

I think it might look a little better, not quite as wide, still as long. I've been reading along and want to you to know I'm think about him and hoping he gets better

meowzer

Originally Posted by bender77
http:///forum/post/3060483
I think it might look a little better, not quite as wide, still as long. I've been reading along and want to you to know I'm think about him and hoping he gets better
Thank you so much....

ann83

It looks like the lesion extends across 6-7 tail rings, both in the picture at the beginning, and the most recent one. Hopefully the addition of Neomcyin will help. If not, a little birdy told me you have Enrofloxacin, so I can talk you through an injection or oral regimen of that if need be.
P.S. Yes, the bottle is correct. For the AgriLabs liquid Neomycin, 1mL is 200mg.

meowzer

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3060543
It looks like the lesion extends across 6-7 tail rings, both in the picture at the beginning, and the most recent one. Hopefully the addition of Neomcyin will help. If not, a little birdy told me you have Enrofloxacin, so I can talk you through an injection or oral regimen of that if need be.
P.S. Yes, the bottle is correct. For the AgriLabs liquid Neomycin, 1mL is 200mg.
LOL...The "stuff" is in a pill form...so you'll really have to talk me thru that one..
So as you can see from the pics....I have really not noticed a change either way....
Today was day 9 of Furan 2 also...tomorrow will be the last packet (of 10)...SOOOO On Friday do I then still do a 50% w/c add the neomycin AND then the sulfa stuff too????

meowzer

OHHH...The only thing I have noticed....in the first pic one ring up looks semi lighter..and in the current pics the coloring is dark (normal)....so maybe it stopped spreading...
What does it look like to you? I mean tail rot?? Or a scrape? OR what??

ann83

I'd probably wait until after the 50% water change Saturday before I started adding the Triple Sulfa, just to let the Furan-2 break down. Or, you can run carbon for a few hours after the water change Friday, then add a full dose of Neomycin (400mg/2mL) and a dose of Triple Sulfa.
To me, the spot looks like a bacterial lesion secondary to an injury (either a burn, sting, scrape, or parasite problem, likely).

ann83

Ideally, we lower the temperature to 68* and he starts getting better right away, and it heals up in about a week, and then he spends another week or two in QT under observation... but that didn't work. So then, preferably, we pick the right medication for the strain of bacteria right off the bat and he's healed in 10 or 15 days, and then spends another week or two in QT under observation... but we struck out there, too. So, now hopefully the Neomycin and Triple Sulfa will do the trick, and he'll be looking better in the next few days and good by day 10. If that doesn't work, in 10 days we'll hit him with Enrofloxacin (68mg "chewables", right? ;) ), and hope that another 10 days will do it for him. *sigh*
..And if that doesn't work, we start talking about the big scary untreatables like mycobacteria and nocardia; or even a protozoan issue, and start planning for culturing if possible, and necropsy if need be... but we are definitely not there yet.

reefnutpa

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3060621
..And if that doesn't work, we start talking about the big scary untreatables like mycobacteria and nocardia;
Been there, done that...the Nocardia thing.... NOT pleasant.

Ann is absolutely awesome with treatments, so continue following her advice and I'm very hopeful one of the medicine regimes will do the trick.
Sorry you're going through this... BUT... always keep things in perspective. You are gaining such a huuuuge amount of knowledge going through this situation that you will always be able to look back on in the future. Whether it's for your own seahorses or to help another hobbyist.
Best of luck... and I'll be checking this threads for updates regularly.
Tom