Cigar Time

saltn00b

you smoked the siglo V? i have been wanting to get my hands on the siglo VI recently because they are supposed to be very nice , 92-93 in afficianado.
but other than that i have smoked a handful of cohibas in my day and i am generally not impressed at all. Oh and domincan Cohibas are worthless. its kind of like a brand thing IMO. its mostly the guys that dont smoke cigars that get all excited when they see cohiba because that means cuban to them and that means the best. plus seeing arnold and Fidel smoking them all the time just perpetuates the image. anyway they are decent cubans and if they want to charge an arm and a leg for them i dont care, as it should not effect my Hoyos and Romeos and Partagas and etc....
Onyx makes a great buttery maduro!

fishycpa

Call me cheap or unexperienced, but all I really enjoy are Drew Estate cigars. I really like the Kubba Kubbas and the Kahluas. They are a little perfumey, but I just love that sweet taste. Not trying to hijack, as someone was accused of doing above, but can anyone recommend a mild smoke with not a lot of the peppery after-taste? The Monte Cristos seem to have a lot of bad after-taste. Again, maybe my palate is just not advanced enough?

saltn00b

a very creamy and light cigar would be dunhills and Davidoffs. though neither are particularly cheap, you can find smaller cigar sizes that arent too bad. also look into tatuajes they are pretty mild and not too pricey.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by shogun323
I have yet to smoke a Cohiba. I may pick one up this evening. A SWF.com get-together for a smoke and an adult beverage would be great!! The drive home may be a little rough though.

I've never tried the Cohiba either, count me in!! haha
well, I've never tried any cigar, but in the name of meeting up with SWF friends, I'd do it.

isistius

anyone try any of these:
bolivar corona gigantes
partegas lusitanias
punch churchill
i'm going to go with 1 of these on my next order, and was looking for feedback
p.s. saltnoob- that's what we're getting. just got off the phone w/ matti

dragonzim

What does everyone think of Rocky Patels? I just recently started smoking cigars on a somewhat regular basis since they opened up a nice cigar lounge near me. So far I've had 2 Rocky Patels that I really liked and an Olivo that was really good too. Anyone got any recommendations for a good mild to medium smoke?

saltn00b

we are getting the bolivars right?
Oliva's that i had are decent at best, dragon, but i didnt get the recommended series and i think thats why. i want to say the good series of oliva is the O. i have had the 1-2 rocky patels , they are a nice smoke that i can recall. an awesome mild -medium i would look into the Padrons. 1964 piramides are nice, but if you got the money the cigar of the year 05 was the 1926 anniversario i think. $25 bucks but a fantastic smoke. also look into any of the Arturo Fuente black labels like the Hemingways. those are sure fire great smokes every time. the #2 (cone shaped) is always a little bolder.

shogun323

Originally Posted by Tizzo
I've never tried the Cohiba either, count me in!! haha
well, I've never tried any cigar, but in the name of meeting up with SWF friends, I'd do it.

Awe Tizz. Come on down!!!!

fishycpa

I was in Maui last year and had 2 cigars made on the island. Dont know the brand name but they were flavored. 1 was mango and the other was macadamia nut. Macadamia nut was ok, but I do not suggest smoking a mango flavored cigar...nasty, like those cheap things at the convenience store that everyone seems to put weed in.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by saltn00b
we are getting the bolivars right?
Oliva's that i had are decent at best, dragon, but i didnt get the recommended series and i think thats why. i want to say the good series of oliva is the O. i have had the 1-2 rocky patels , they are a nice smoke that i can recall. an awesome mild -medium i would look into the Padrons. 1964 piramides are nice, but if you got the money the cigar of the year 05 was the 1926 anniversario i think. $25 bucks but a fantastic smoke. also look into any of the Arturo Fuente black labels like the Hemingways. those are sure fire great smokes every time. the #2 (cone shaped) is always a little bolder.

Cool, thanks! $25 is a little rich for me to be spending regularly on a cigar, but I'll give one a shot sometime.

saltn00b

yea i wish i could spend that sort of loot regularly on something like cigars... then again my tank would be 5 times bigger...

tangman99

you smoked the siglo V? i have been wanting to get my hands on the siglo VI recently because they are supposed to be very nice , 92-93 in afficianado.
but other than that i have smoked a handful of cohibas in my day and i am generally not impressed at all. Oh and domincan Cohibas are worthless. its kind of like a brand thing IMO. its mostly the guys that dont smoke cigars that get all excited when they see cohiba because that means cuban to them and that means the best. plus seeing arnold and Fidel smoking them all the time just perpetuates the image. anyway they are decent cubans and if they want to charge an arm and a leg for them i dont care, as it should not effect my Hoyos and Romeos and Partagas and etc....
Onyx makes a great buttery maduro!
Darn Saltn00b! Where's the love man? You call one of my favorite cigars garbage? That's not nice.
j/k. I do have to agree with you though. MOST people do like the cohibas because of the name. As I said, I picked up a few Cohibas because I wanted to get the VI's also but they must really popular. The place I stopped at were out so I got the V's as that what they recommended. Again, they were good but not great. I like the Dominican cigars best but had to get a few cubans while out of the country. Red dot Cohibas as you said have nothing to do with Cuban Cohibas.
I remember reading somewhere when Castro came into power, the original Cohiba owners fled to the Dominican Republic and took their name with them. Cuba kept the Cohiba name and started the cuban line but not with the original experts that were the masters. It went on to say that they still disagree on who is the rightful owner of the Cohiba name. Not sure if this is fact as I don't remember where I read it.
I tried red dots when I was working a contract in Santa Domingo. One of the guys at the client site family owned a cigar company and he loaded me up. Not cohibas. Something else but I don't remember the name.

saltn00b

lol i didnt say they was garbage! dont get me wrong, i love dominicans such as fuentes , etc... but the dominican cohiba.... welll... not so much!
thats cool you were looking for the VI too. i think that is only cuban, no?

tangman99

lol i didnt say they was garbage! dont get me wrong, i love dominicans such as fuentes , etc... but the dominican cohiba.... welll... not so much!
thats cool you were looking for the VI too. i think that is only cuban, no?
Yep, was looking for the VI, and they are only cubans. I guess to each their own. I do like the new black label much more though and the XV 660 Extra Vigoroso is a pretty darn good smoke.

isistius

Originally Posted by fishyCPA
I was in Maui last year and had 2 cigars made on the island. Dont know the brand name but they were flavored. 1 was mango and the other was macadamia nut. Macadamia nut was ok, but I do not suggest smoking a mango flavored cigar...nasty, like those cheap things at the convenience store that everyone seems to put weed in.

shogun323

Originally Posted by TangMan99
Yep, was looking for the VI, and they are only cubans. I guess to each their own. I do like the new black label much more though and the XV 660 Extra Vigoroso is a pretty darn good smoke.
Saw the XV's at the store last night. Looked tempting..
I went with an AF maduro robusto. It was way too strong for my taste. No more Maduros for me!!

shogun323

Originally Posted by fishyCPA
Call me cheap or unexperienced, but all I really enjoy are Drew Estate cigars. I really like the Kubba Kubbas and the Kahluas. They are a little perfumey, but I just love that sweet taste. Not trying to hijack, as someone was accused of doing above, but can anyone recommend a mild smoke with not a lot of the peppery after-taste? The Monte Cristos seem to have a lot of bad after-taste. Again, maybe my palate is just not advanced enough?
I would try a Torano Exodus Silver. Great all around smoke. You are by no means hijacking here. I only said that to Clown Boy as the purpose of this thread is clearly to discuss cigars and the different ones we enjoy not do discuss the reasons we smoke.

tangman99

I remember another cigar I got my hands on once that left an impression. It almost took my breath the first time I took a draw off it. It is one Full bodied cigar. It's called a Pirates Gold. You can get them for a little over a dollar a piece in bulk, but you better have just eaten a porterhouse and a couple of good starches before you light one of those up. It is definitley a cigar for after a huge meal.

isistius

ah yes, the cigar after a large meal. is there anything more relaxing? ok, don't answer that there are children on this forum. i scored huge yesterday. my neighbor at work is a cigar distributor. he has a huge online site, and i have become very friendly with him. so i go in to see him and chat and he hands me 2 cigars and tells me to try them. god i love free cigars. the 1st one he said, "what is it?" it had no label, but the square shape gave it away as a padron. i said "anniversario?" he said "yeah, however it's a factory second" huh? "because they are machine pressed to get that shape, these were pressed slightly too much, and the square shape is too defined, so they can't be labeled." sweet score there.
the second one he handed me is an original club macanudo. for those of you that don't know, this was THE cigar that was made for the opening of club macanudo in chi-town 15 years ago. yup, i said rolled 15 years ago. they were supposed to come in 3 sizes: corona (which he gave me) churchill, and #2 torpedo. to make a long story short, they never went into full production, and the club had to release a press statement denouncing the cigar. supposedly this cigar is touted as one of the best cigars ever made in 3 sizes. after i smoke it this weekend, i will let you guys know.......