Do you believe in evolution?

rylan1

I was reading something on evolution today about primates and apes not having achellis tendons. That our ancestors if they walked on 2 feet were very slow....And there was a new dilemma on when did we develop this tendon that would allow us to "spring" and to run on 2 feet...
Seems to me that there is another gap here that leaves evolutionist baffled.

clown boy

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
All life on earth has evolved since the dawn of the dinosaurs. We evolved from apes, birds & reptiles evolved from dinosaurs. Mammals evolved from early mammals. It's all scientific facts not dreams ... nor it's religion/God related.
Is it really a scientific fact? IT'S A THEORY. There is absolutely NO explanation for it.

darthtang aw

I didn't read this whole thread, not going to either as I have an idea of how this thread went. However I firmly believe God created everything.....Evolution was his tool to create it. Study the bible and it backs this theory/fact up.

clown boy

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Study the bible and it backs this theory/fact up.
Science actually disproves evolution. So does the Bible. How did you come to this conclusion?

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Rylan1
I was reading something on evolution today about primates and apes not having achellis tendons. That our ancestors if they walked on 2 feet were very slow....And there was a new dilemma on when did we develop this tendon that would allow us to "spring" and to run on 2 feet...
Seems to me that there is another gap here that leaves evolutionist baffled.
There will always be gaps and there will always be people who are baffled which is good because it will drive the pursuit of knowledge.
I do not claim that evolution happend one particular way and one way only. All I am saying is that there is plenty of good evidence out there that should be looked at before claiming that it is not possible.

jerthunter

How about another account of creation, this one from the Rig Veda.
At that time there was neither
existence nor non-existence,
neither the worlds nor the sky.
There was nothing that was beyond.
There was no death, nor immortality
There was no knowledge of the day and night.
That one alone breathed, without air, by itself.
Besides that there was nothing.
Darkness there was enveloped by darkness.
All this was one water, without any distinction
It was inactive, covered by void.
That one became active by the power of its own thought.
There came upon it at first desire,
which was the first seed of the mind.
Men of vision found in their meditative state,
the connection between the Being and the Non-Being.
All gods were subsequent to this creative activity.
Then who knows from where this came into existence!
Where this creation came from,
whether He supported it or not,
He who is controlling it from the highest of the heavens,
He perhaps knows it or He knows it not ! (Rig Veda X. 129)

clown boy

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
there is plenty of good evidence out there that should be looked at before claiming that it is not possible.
Where???

ophiura

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
I'm going to say it again... this is NOT Science against religion! Both are highly religious, and are supposed to serve the same purposes.

I'm confused by your posts. You post this, then you post stuff since then. The message is so confusing.
And that is the point.
People believe what they will believe. YOu can point out every passage in the Bible to me, and it won't "prove" anything to me. It has been through so many translations - and that is just the beginning. It doesn't mean I don't believe in God, I believe we are interpreting things differently.
It is a WASTE of time what we are all doing, except it PROVES the point that the so called "discussion" is not getting anywhere. You believe only what you wish to believe. So be it.
All this quoting scripture is not winning the argument, it is merely reaching the point where it proves there is no point in discussing this.

jerthunter

Ok, enough of the Bhagavad Gita and the Vedas, how about some passages from the Tao Te Ching...
One

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth.
The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
Ever desiring, one sees the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name; this appears as darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gate to all mystery.
Twenty-five

Something mysteriously formed,
Born before heaven and Earth.
In the silence and the void,
Standing alone and unchanging,
Ever present and in motion.
Perhaps it is the mother of ten thousand things.
I do not know its name
Call it Tao.
For lack of a better word, I call it great.
Being great, it flows
It flows far away.
Having gone far, it returns.
Therefore, "Tao is great;
Heaven is great;
Earth is great;
The king is also great."
These are the four great powers of the universe,
And the king is one of them.
Man follows Earth.
Earth follows heaven.
Heaven follows the Tao.
Tao follows what is natural.
Fifty-one

All things arise from Tao.
They are nourished by Virtue.
They are formed from matter.
They are shaped by environment.
Thus the ten thousand things all respect Tao and honor Virtue.
Respect of Tao and honor of Virtue are not demanded,
But they are in the nature of things.
Therefore all things arise from Tao.
By Virtue they are nourished,
Developed, cared for,
Sheltered, comforted,
Grown, and protected.
Creating without claiming,
Doing without taking credit,
Guiding without interfering,
This is Primal Virtue.

moneyman

Well, as of today:
Yes 47 59.49%
No 32 40.51%
That concludes, without arguments, most people on this board did not vote.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
All life on earth has evolved since the dawn of the dinosaurs. We evolved from apes, birds & reptiles evolved from dinosaurs. Mammals evolved from early mammals. It's all scientific facts not dreams ... nor it's religion/God related.
Wow... I need to pick up more scientific journals. Seems I missed a few important discoveries recently.
Ophiura is correct in that you can't use the Bible to prove Creation. The other side of the coin is that you can't repeat things like the above statement to prove evolution.
Ice, I would ask this... If we evolved from apes why are there still apres? Furthermore, why aren't there still some transitional human/ape hybrids running around evolving?

jerthunter

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Wow... I need to pick up more scientific journals. Seems I missed a few important discoveries recently.
Ophiura is correct in that you can't use the Bible to prove Creation. The other side of the coin is that you can't repeat things like the above statement to prove evolution.
Ice, I would ask this... If we evolved from apes why are there still apres? Furthermore, why aren't there still some transitional human/ape hybrids running around evolving?
This seems to be a common reaccuring connection. The idea is not that we evolved from apes but that apes and humans both evolved from a common ancestor.

jerthunter

I don't want the Mormon's to feel left out. Here is a passage from the book of Mormon.
"And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;"
- Moses 3:5

rylan1

I don't want the Mormon's to feel left out. Here is a passage from the book of Mormon.
"And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;"
- Moses 3:5
what is the purpose of all these quotes? What are you saying?

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Rylan1
what is the purpose of all these quotes? What are you saying?
Certain people continue to insist on quoting one faith's holy scripture as proof. Out of fairness I like to offer differing accounts of creation from different holy scriptures.

clown boy

Have you looked yet?
Indeed. A single cell is so complex that the odds of it evolving are practically none.

rylan1

This seems to be a common reaccuring connection. The idea is not that we evolved from apes but that apes and humans both evolved from a common ancestor.
As I questioned before.. do any apes or monkeys have leg tendons like humans do? Fossil records of ape species seem to suggest that no apes or monkeys have leg tendons that would make them be able to run upright...
I was also reading that the gorilla is becoming extint do to Ebola virus, and since 1600's (I think) only like 580 species have become extinct. Do scientists take into account when they find these so called fossils that these new species or ancestors could simply be other monkeys or apes that simply died off... it seems to me that many scientists may ignore the evidence so that they can further their agenda or to make an assumption that is based on falsehoods.