Fedukeford's 125 reef diary!

fedukeford

Ya the wantabes and koles are pretty cool, but i think im going to stick with only 2 large fish, and probley not a trigger b/c i dont want to take too big of a chance of my shrimp getting eating.
Next time your at the reef shoppe, could you see what tangs, angels and triggers they have and post them here?
thanks
feduke

ci11337

Originally Posted by fedukeford
Ya the wantabes and koles are pretty cool, but i think im going to stick with only 2 large fish, and probley not a trigger b/c i dont want to take too big of a chance of my shrimp getting eating.
Next time your at the reef shoppe, could you see what tangs, angels and triggers they have and post them here?
thanks
feduke
No problem, first report will be shortly after X-mas. I called Tom to see if he thought a swallowtail would work in my tank. He actually has one in his 54 gallon corner display reef and it's been there for three years with three other fish. Ironicaly, he also had a swallowtail for sale, $68. I probably won't end up getting that one though as I have to wait 'til I get my $$ from X-mas.

fedukeford

ci11337- just found out im going to be at TRS on the 26th, probley around 11 or 12 o'clock
sign guy- nope, dont have any updated full tank shot, but ill get one within the next couple days

ci11337

I will probably be going on the 26th too and I'll try and go around 12. (I'll still be sleeping at 11
) If by some X-mas miracle they still have that swallowtail on the 26th I think I'm gonna get him. (I might call and try to reserve him tomarrow.)

stimpy4242

Your tank is coming along nicely, but I do have one question. When you decided on the rockwork, did you more or less just pile them all up...because it seems you have put a lot of effort into the tank and corals and stand and such, but your aquascape is lacking. If you spent some time with some different shapes and sizes and perhaps some epoxy you might be able to play around with the rockwork so that it doesn't just look like a backhoe dropped a bunch of rocks in...unfortunately most people's tanks appear that way. Those tanks that do not, usually the people are scuba divers that have seen how rockwork looks in the ocean. There should be shelfs and overhangs and such, pillars straight up and valleys...just a suggestion since you have not really gone that far with the tank. I am not saying it does not look good, but it could look a whole lot better and more unique...just an idea.

fedukeford

Thanks.
i kind of just piled up the rockwork, but i did make sure to make tons of caves and a couple valleys, my pics just dont show them. Right near the overflows a made HUGE caves on each side, but it just looks like the rock is stacked against the caves. Do you have any suggestions about moving some specific pieces to a different spot to make it look better?

stimpy4242

I mean i am no expert myself, but it seems that most of your pieces are round. That does not help for the aquascape...it would be nice to have a gap. That would almost create two seperate areas in the tank...by gap I mean a place along the vertical plane were no rocks exist. just sand at the bottom and straight through to the back. That would help greatly I think...also ledges or bridges are nice too, but you need long flat pieces for that.

ci11337

Originally Posted by fedukeford
You better hope you get there before me, otherwise its mine

Oh it's on!! :joy: JK, and you know how you said you'd be there at like 11-12? Well they don't open 'til 12. That brain is amazing!! I don't think your rockwork is that bad, could use a 'lil work though..Heres a pic of mine, I made it "freestanding" so there is room for the scraper/siphon all the way around. IDK if my anthias would bother the angel since they both swim in the water colum. Maybe I should go for some kinda "bottom dweller" :thinking:...IDK,

fedukeford

My mom said she called TRS and they said they'd be open at 11 :thinking:
well we probley wont get there until around 12 anyway.
I like the idea of freestanding rockwork, but i also like haveing the 5 inches of clear sandbed in the front that i have right now so i dont think freestanding would work(plus id have to pile a lot up which i would noramlly just pile against the back wall)

fedukeford

I just tested my water to see if the problems im having with the favia and the brain have anything to do with the water:
salt-1.025
calcium-500+ (i guess i should lower the amount of BIonic im adding, right now im adding 25 (no clue what the measurement is) of part 1 and 2)
KH-7 dkh
Alk- 2.53
PH-8.3
ammonia-undectable

reef diver

Originally Posted by stimpy4242
Your tank is coming along nicely, but I do have one question. When you decided on the rockwork, did you more or less just pile them all up...because it seems you have put a lot of effort into the tank and corals and stand and such, but your aquascape is lacking. If you spent some time with some different shapes and sizes and perhaps some epoxy you might be able to play around with the rockwork so that it doesn't just look like a backhoe dropped a bunch of rocks in...unfortunately most people's tanks appear that way. Those tanks that do not, usually the people are scuba divers that have seen how rockwork looks in the ocean. There should be shelfs and overhangs and such, pillars straight up and valleys...just a suggestion since you have not really gone that far with the tank. I am not saying it does not look good, but it could look a whole lot better and more unique...just an idea.
I agree, however, you also have to remember that our tanks arent very wide, and most tanks, not all but most have that rock wall feel, because our tanks arn't wide enough to add depth to our aquascape, when you get to steve weast size, then the depth piece comes more into play.

stimpy4242

I certainly agree that the more space you have the better, but don't give up entirely. You can certainly recreate a layout like his or something different than a wall. Just be creative. Again, just something to take it further, still looks good as it is.