Got a surprise this afternoon...

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3161729
They are soooo cute, I love spot. I wonder if the whit one will stay all white???
I'm pretty sure that it will stay all white. It looks whiter every time I see it. lol The one coat color that has changed the most is the solid dark one. I'm pretty sure it's a chinchilla colored baby. Smartorl may correct me on this. I might be wrong. lol I'm still learning about all this.
I love the spotted baby too..lol I'm hoping that it's a doe. If so, I plan on keeping her.

S

smartorl

They are starting to look like bunnies! I can't wait to see the pictures next week! That is my favorite age! My breed of choice was Holland Lops and my colors of choice were blues, blacks, steel, and opal. I didn't get very many chins so I am not that familiar with the coloration at their age. They are chunky monkeys!

flower

http:///forum/post/3156652
EWWWWWW...Are they dead???
Are they even rabbits? LOL
LOL...you should see baby parrots for an example of ugly kids...
Those little bunnies look like pig babies. Hard to believe they will be so soft and cute before the month is over.
Keep us posted, hope they all make it!

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/3161770
sooooo cuuuuttteeeee thanx for the pics i'm loving this they are adorable that dark one is just precious
That one is my 14 yr old stepson's favorite. We may keep it for a pet for him so he can be into the bunnies as much as I am. Good stepmom/stepson activity.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by smartorl
http:///forum/post/3161830
They are starting to look like bunnies! I can't wait to see the pictures next week! That is my favorite age! My breed of choice was Holland Lops and my colors of choice were blues, blacks, steel, and opal. I didn't get very many chins so I am not that familiar with the coloration at their age. They are chunky monkeys!
He's definitely looking more like a chinchilla to me. And I am very happy to report that their eyes have opened!!
I'll let them get used to their eyes and light before I start taking pics. Wouldn't want to traumatize the little babies.
I really enjoy my brokens but the Mini Satin shows don't allow color yet. Maybe one day.... The white baby will stay white. It's eyes are red! Just like the buck. They are eating very well. lol Mama is eating her pellet food and I give fresh fruit and vegetables as well. The first few days after they were born I gave her some old fashioned oats and she really enjoyed those. That was a recommendation from the breeder I bought them from. I really am enjoying this and my husband is excited to see me find something I really want to do. I don't know how active I'll be in the show circuit but I really am enjoying the babies and raising part. I got my ARBA card the other day and will be doing this on a small scale til we move out to the country. I really do appreciate the advice you give. Like I said before, it is very welcomed and feel free to chime in any time.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3161833
LOL...you should see baby parrots for an example of ugly kids...
Those little bunnies look like pig babies. Hard to believe they will be so soft and cute before the month is over.
Keep us posted, hope they all make it!
They'll make it. I'm pretty confident. She's taken to being a mother very well. These babies don't go without a meal as you can see.

Baby birds in general look like something that stepped off a space ship!! lol I remember when my baby cockatiels were first born...it's definitely a face only a mother could love.

nw2salt08

http:///forum/post/3162308
And of course the white one has those red eyes...LOL
lol Yeah. And that's the type that they accept at shows as of right now! The ones that look slightly evil.
I'm just glad that they're developing so well and are healthy.

S

smartorl

I would say definitely a chin! What a cutie! Names yet? The doe did very well for a first litter, they are fat and sassy.
The color restrictions are hard! When I got into the hollands, they were still relatively new and acceptible colors were rather limited. Every time they opened up the restrictions it was awesome! It never fails that your best buns will be born funky colors.
Again, please don't take me wrong when I offer advice. When I started, I knew nothing and learned by the school of hard knocks and had losses because of my lack of knowledge in some areas. I had the good fortune of having some excellent breeders who took me under their wing. It's a great hobby that my children and I enjoyed very much, it brought us closer together as a family at a time when things were rough.
Are you haying?

nw2salt08

Oh no...I didn't mean to come across that way in the beginning. Using timothy hay but if there's a type that you prefer better please...do tell. I have no issues with going out and getting better for them. They're on pellet and fresh fruits and vegetables as well.
It's kind of hard to tell what's just good advice and smart butt comments sometimes on here. We are, afterall, typing. I really do appreciate advice.
My husband is calling the broken chin Speckle.... he favors that baby too. The chin is Hopper. It's already trying to use it's legs. lol And the white is Blizzard. The kids have picked out the last two's names. We haven't decided if we're keeping them all or not. My husband said he'll help make that decision when he comes home. He'll be here when they hit the age marker for s e x ing. I'll definitely have to let you all know the outcome of that.
Hopping the broken chin is a doe. From what I can tell it has the best build. That solid chin has a pretty substantial head on it and just overall big. The white has some big ears on it. Don't know how that one will pan out. If the ears are too long then it'd be too distasteful for showing. The preference for Mini Satins is short ears. No more than 2 3/4 inches I believe.

S

smartorl

I used timothy or orchard grass, sometimes a timothy and alfalfa blend for winter for a little extra boost. Some people swear by alfalfa for the juniors but I found that it made them a little too fat (and less fit) and those that the judges had mentioned being a bit "soft" were in fact the ones that I later had birthing issues with and I was able to keep track of that through my herd records.
What are the weight limits on the your guys? It's a cute little breed. We did primarily hollands but my daughter dabbled in Jersey Woolys and my son in mini rexes. I loved looking at the satin's at the shows but they were a little bigger than I had comfortable space for so the mini's are really cool to me!

nw2salt08

The size limitation is no more than 3 1/2lbs. My doe is 3lbs and my buck is
3 1/4lbs. The ears should be short but not too short. Don't want them over 3 inches. I'm thinking the white's ears are going to be a little long. They already look long. The other two have the classic short ears. The white doesn't look quite as good as the other two either. That one will probably go as a pet. So I'll sell it at a lesser price. Depending on who's a doe out of the other two will depend on if I keep them. I'm really impressed with the strength in the solid chin. It's been doing a little hopping and very active when out of the nest box. The broken chin is following suit. The white seems a little behind. Not quite as active. Still a little more shaky on it's legs.
I grew up with rabbits as pets. I had a mini rex/lop mix, a mini lop and a satin. My satin was by far my favorite. The breeder was hesitant in selling to me at first because she said they wouldn't make good pets but she quickly realized that I knew how to calm them and handle them. Even the finicky ones would calm down on the table for me. These two are extremely calm for rabbits that "shouldn't be pets". They do really well with my children and are very curious about things. We have a pair of cockatiels and they have inspected the cage on several occasions. The noise from the birds don't bother them either. They always come over and stand on their back legs to see me because they want attention. I would say that they make excellent pets if you take the time to handle them. My rabbits get at least a good hour of attention and I let them out one at a time for about the same amount of time for running time. They really enjoy it.
Honestly, I can't wait for my husband's new job to start. We'll be able to pay this house off and build a new house and barn out on 50 acres. The barn will be divided for two purposes...horses and bunnies. Can't wait... then I can expand into a good sized rabbitry.

nw2salt08

They sure are changing every day! Can't believe how much difference from the last pics to these! Even baby bunnies love toys sometimes too.

nw2salt08

The bigger they get the more I can tell which ones I like better for shape and coat texture. The last pic is of the babies in the back of their nest box.