Hitchhiker Identifications

deepcdv

I pryed this off of the stalk of one of my button polyps today, it had a tentacle wrapped around the stalk twice and it hung on pretty well. Its center is about the size of a large pea, it has 2 long tentacles coming off each end and a number of small spines. Its lying on the bottom of the tank now and isn't moving. Is it some kind of egg case? Or a parasite of some kind? The polyp that it was hanging onto was doing fine. I looked through the hitchhiker pics and couldn't find it...really weird looking. Hope these pics show enough detail.

althemean

I think it is a shrimp. I saw a pic of one of these but I cant remember which board (-- or this one) sorry.

gmax111

It's pretty quick.. When it moves along the algae it looks like a caterpillar moving kinda like an accordion.. it bends the middle part of its body, uses its antenna to wrap around the algae then scoots its legs up..
I have seen about 5 but thats all i've seen at any given point.. But im sure there's more... It's kinda like copods you can only see 5 - 10 but you know there are A LOT more...
The algae has turned a little redish since the pictures but i bought about 5-6 balls of it from ***** @ 1.99 a ball... There is enough to fill a 10 gallon tank..
It maybe a shrimp but it has nothing that similar to any shrimp but it's color...
SUPER WEIRD!! they are still in my tank what ever they are, good or bad... I wish someone could ID it though...

althemean

gmax11...I was refering to your post....I think it is a shrimp. Do a search on this site for stick bugs...or something along those lines. I know I have seen that identified before.

ccfl

Got this thing that is weaving his way in and out of this new coral I just got. It is about 2" or so with curly legs/arms/?? coming off it and it moves fairly slow. White/brown/pink in color. Has not left the coral it came on yet. Anyone know what this is and if good or bad??? Thinking maybe a slug/nudi?? Thanks for looking!!!

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by ccfl
Got this thing that is weaving his way in and out of this new coral I just got. It is about 2" or so with curly legs/arms/?? coming off it and it moves fairly slow. White/brown/pink in color. Has not left the coral it came on yet. Anyone know what this is and if good or bad??? Thinking maybe a slug/nuti?? Thanks for looking!!!
That does look like a nudibranch.

gmax111

Originally Posted by althemean
gmax11...I was refering to your post....I think it is a shrimp. Do a search on this site for stick bugs...or something along those lines. I know I have seen that identified before.
Yes i knew you were referring to my post... I replied stating it didnt look anything like a shrimp.. After a short search on SWF.com for stick shrimp i found this

It's called a skeleton shrimp... They are pretty cool to watch in my sump

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by Tizzo
This, I learned from Bang Guy is a "carribean mushroom", but thanks to my search engine the only info I could find were all about mushrooms that go into cooking recipes...unless... :thinking:...naaaah, couldn't be...

I beleive I have some of these in my tank? Good or bad?
OR at least it loks like this, but then it looks like apistia to me idk

R

rattler739

cool stick bug looking shrimp thing
Sorry i dont have a pic but I recently baught a little crab (since died) but it was pure white with black eyes and a jon smith looking helmet on it if any one has any pics or any ideas let me know searched and searched and nothing (not a helmeted or hooded crab)

thanks for any info

renogaw

Originally Posted by 30galofwater
thanks
tunicates can usualy be found at lfs's. most places though won't try selling them because being solely a filter feeder, tunicates are tough to keep alive and can have adverse affects on your tank when they die

tormented

I dont have a pic to show so the best I can do is describe this worm thing I saw.
It was about 1 inch long when stretched out and as thin as a piece if thread. Copper colored. Had a few white, very thin filament-like legs in a 'V' shape in the middle. I only saw the few white legs in the middle and nowhere else. It moved like a worm. Then something disturbed it as it was crawling up the glass and it curled into a circular ball with the white legs making a ring. That was the last I saw of it as the current took it behind the chaeto.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Originally Posted by sweetreef
peacock mantis!!!
I think I might have one of these. Do they dart in and out of holes really fast? Are they bad?

tormented

Originally Posted by chattown clown
I think I might have one of these. Do they dart in and out of holes really fast? Are they bad?

I think the ones you mean are peanut worms. The one I saw was not in a hole and it had the white legs, peanut worms stay in a hole and stretch out and have no legs. Peanut worms are safe to have, I have alot.

Originally Posted by Tormented
I think the ones you mean are peanut worms. The one I saw was not in a hole and it had the white legs, peanut worms stay in a hole and stretch out and have no legs. Peanut worms are safe to have, I have alot.
Nope. It is some type of crustacean not a worm. There's not a chance of getting a picture. The only times that I've seen it has been out of the corner of my eye when just walking into the room. If it sees you it will dart back in the rock. It usually stays in the same rock (I think); so, I'm thinking of grabbing that rock and doing a fresh water dip.
See my quote in the first post. I was replying to the old post about a peacock mantis.