hypo journal

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I didn't read all the thread, which is why I asked for a recap. Sepulation is correct, if you are doing hypo in your display. Did you read the info on hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread?

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by sepulatian
You left your LR in when you did hypo??? Very bad. That is probably why you have ammonia and nitrite readings. Things are probably dieing on your rock. This doesn't help with the ich issue, but if there are measurable amounts of ammonia and nitrite then your fish are stressed and unable to fight off the ich themselves. A more nutritious and varied diet will also help out here.

nope...my lr is in a rubbermaid. i took it off of the MT. the lr is actually ok. i also put the powerhead with it too.

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by Beth
Well, I didn't read all the thread, which is why I asked for a recap. Sepulation is correct, if you are doing hypo in your display. Did you read the info on hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread?

i took out my lr right before i did my hypo. it is now in a 5g rubbermaid with a powerhead. it is still ok, i'm also checking on it everyday. it still got its coraline, some parts are growing something on it too. so i guess it's ok.
i also did read every kind of info that i could have. including the old threads and the info that lion_crazz gave me. i went to our lfs today and had the refractormeter calibrated again. went home tonight and noticed the reading at .010. so, could it be that my fishes still got ich?

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by Beth
The refact needs to be calibrated. Why don't you? Its pretty easy.
You can not add medicines to your display tank. Copper and hyposalinity are the only viable treatments for ich, and copper is OUT for adding to a display.

i definitely don't want any copper to be in my tank. kinda like thinking something just to drop all of these ich off of the fishes....

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lpuzon
nope...my lr is in a rubbermaid. i took it off of the MT. the lr is actually ok. i also put the powerhead with it too.
Ok, I'm sorry I mis understood you. The reading of 1.010 is enabling the ich to still breed.

L

lpuzon

yeah... i definitely don't have any idea...
but as i have mentioned, i got our refrac recalibrated.

update:
i did a 8g WC tonight. temp at 80. no water parameters yet, i'll check them tomorrow. vacuumed my CC real good, and put in the ro water. i checked the spgh, this time, for real, it's on .009 salinity. i'm kinda afraid at first that i might have changed water too much, but luckily, i had it perfecto.(i hope) i also installed back my remora skimmer, to take out the residue at the bottom, and the remains of the SP. hopefully, this would help recondition my fishes and the water.
so, what shld i do now? just wait? or shld i again dose the tank? my two tangs are really infested with the ich again, and the ones on the hippo are growing too. i have thought, just in case i would dose it again, since i have used SP twice and have not really satisfied with, i might use kick ick this time. please help me decide.

thanks!!! :notsure:

lazypinoy

dont use kick ick. it doesnt work very well. "from my personal experiance". try that kent marine garlic extreme and "Spectrum Thera-A Anti-Parasitic Formula". thats what my lfs said they use if ich appears on their 300 gallon reef display. good luck with the hypo!

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
dont use kick ick. it doesnt work very well. "from my personal experiance". try that kent marine garlic extreme and "Spectrum Thera-A Anti-Parasitic Formula". thats what my lfs said they use if ich appears on their 300 gallon reef display. good luck with the hypo!

thanks! but to clarify....
kent garlic extreme is used to soak food in it right? i don't think i need that since i alternately soak their food with vitachem and fresh ground garlic. (thanks for the info!)
thera-a? what does it do though? is it coppersafe? what does this do?

L

lpuzon

ok, i got it! it's a food to boost immune system. hmm... i need that. but what i really need though is to make the ich off of my fish. if kick ick's not better than SP, what could be next?

L

lpuzon

a sad news though........
a had an episode with my tank this 4am. last night, i did WC, and leveled my tank to .009, coz i'm doing hypo. i also set up my skimmer again, (coz i took it out when i was dosing the tank with Stop parasite). when i went down at 4, i saw all of my fishes at the bottom, not moving!!! what's terrifying, i saw my puffer, puffed up, and got sucked by the pump of the skimmer!!! it is really really a dreadful feeling!!! i unplugged the skimmer, felt a little relief to see that she's still alive. but her lips are really swollen, until right now. it toned down a little, but still swollen.
i revived all my fishes when i immediatley thought that my salinity is way too low. i added 3c of salt mixed with it's water. (with a powerhead) (1c at a time)5 mins later, they all bounced back. this am, everybody's right the very front of the tank, waiting for me to feed them...

S

supermanvx

a had an episode with my tank this 4am. last night, i did WC, and leveled my tank to .009, coz i'm doing hypo. i also set up my skimmer again, (coz i took it out when i was dosing the tank with Stop parasite). when i went down at 4, i saw all of my fishes at the bottom, not moving!!! what's terrifying, i saw my puffer, puffed up, and got sucked by the pump of the skimmer!!! it is really really a dreadful feeling!!! i unplugged the skimmer, felt a little relief to see that she's still alive. but her lips are really swollen, until right now. it toned down a little, but still swollen.
i revived all my fishes when i immediatley thought that my salinity is way too low. i added 3c of salt mixed with it's water. (with a powerhead) (1c at a time)5 mins later, they all bounced back. this am, everybody's right the very front of the tank, waiting for me to feed them...

good to hear man...what a scare last night

L

lpuzon

hmm...first of supermanvx, i'm a girl...

but yeah, it is a scare... thanks for answering. i stayed beside the tanks for an hour or so. they're so ok now. my only problem now then though, i raised the spgh one notch up..

S

supermanvx

hmm...first of supermanvx, i'm a girl...

but yeah, it is a scare... thanks for answering. i stayed beside the tanks for an hour or so. they're so ok now. my only problem now then though, i raised the spgh one notch up..
oops im sorry, i do that alot.

sepulatian

Oh my goodness thats terrible!!!!!! I am realy at a loss for what else you can do for these guys, hopefully Beth or Lion_Crazz have some ideas.

S

supermanvx

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
wow...all this hypo stuff is blah....u havent considered the uv yet?
as i understand, the UV sterilizer will not kill the ick

L

lpuzon

been thinking about it a long time ago! does it really work?

lazypinoy

well sometimes you just got to try it for ur self. it may or may not work, ur jus gonna have to try it to find out. didnt u see my recovery results?? i ran a 6watt with a rio1700 rated at i think 600+ gph and got results. id get like a 9watt-20watt uv with a around a 200-300gph. u want to suck up as much as those

[hr]
at their free falling stage. so after about 2 ich life cycles the water should be diluted with parasite free water. the ick will always be in ur tank with uv but it reduces its numbers dramatically to a point where it isnt noticable or a problem for the fish's immnue system to repel it. heres my yellow tang results:

ps:get the best uv u can.

L

lpuzon

hmm... i'm thinking of the turbo twist 9watts. that is good right? i think i'll buy it now. thanks lazy!!!