I am new at saltwater fish. Need some help

spanko

Just throw some fish food in there. Make like you are feeding invisible fish for about 3-4 days in a row. This will break down and start a bacteria colony growing.

J

jstdv8

Like alot of people in the hobby I try to do things as naturally as possible. mother nature managed to build these beautiful reefs and fishes and keep them alive over the years somehow.
Throwing in something to speed up the cycle just doesnt sound like a good idea. Nothing in this hobby happens fast.
If something says its speeding something up it should make you skeptical.

Ok. All the possible food mart store are really far away and there isn't a way for me to get their unless I want to walk like 2 hours... Someone suggested feeding invisible fish is one way to start a cycle. Can that be an option too? I know. I don't want to speed things up but i am only going to resort to that matter if it comes down to it. I want to take in everyone suggestion and lay out so i can see which one i can choose to do and help me. My parents are always busy so they do not have time to help me get the materials i would need. I might just have to wait till school start because that is more convient for me since on the way home i pass by a target with a big food mart in there i think. They might have it. I will check it out there. I am graceful for everyone advice. Thank you. Also i did the reading on nitrite on this chart. 0ppm. O.O

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamseed31 http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/40#post_3342826
Ok. All the possible food mart store are really far away and there isn't a way for me to get their unless I want to walk like 2 hours... Someone suggested feeding invisible fish is one way to start a cycle. Can that be an option too? YES
I know. I don't want to speed things up but i am only going to resort to that matter if it comes down to it. I want to take in everyone suggestion and lay out so i can see which one i can choose to do and help me. My parents are always busy so they do not have time to help me get the materials i would need. I might just have to wait till school start because that is more convient for me since on the way home i pass by a target with a big food mart in there i think. They might have it. I will check it out there. I am graceful for everyone advice. Thank you. Also i did the reading on nitrite on this chart. 0ppm. O.O

J

jstdv8

If you can't get a shrimp or raw fish then just ghost feed like Bang said.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/40#post_3342828
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamseed31
http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/40#post_3342826
Ok. All the possible food mart store are really far away and there isn't a way for me to get their unless I want to walk like 2 hours... Someone suggested feeding invisible fish is one way to start a cycle. Can that be an option too? YES
I know. I don't want to speed things up but i am only going to resort to that matter if it comes down to it. I want to take in everyone suggestion and lay out so i can see which one i can choose to do and help me. My parents are always busy so they do not have time to help me get the materials i would need. I might just have to wait till school start because that is more convient for me since on the way home i pass by a target with a big food mart in there i think. They might have it. I will check it out there. I am graceful for everyone advice. Thank you. Also i did the reading on nitrite on this chart. 0ppm. O.O
+1..feed the invisable fish..it works

J

jstdv8

Note to gundamseed31
While feeding invisible fish if you try to inspect them for invisible parasites or disease you have gone too far!

You all are awesome! :) I am really have a great time using this site. I am laughing! :) I love it! :D one thing? invisible fish are non-existance right? XD

flower

On the absolute off chance you are even remotely serious.
If you PRETEND you have a fish and put some food in the tank, the food.....by virtue of not having any critter to eat it.... will rot and thus begin the cycle
So PRETEND there is an invisible fish..Name it Henry. LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretfreak13 http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/40#post_3342924
Oooh, Gundam! Can it be an invisible whale shark? I've always wanted one of them in my fish tank. lol
Don't be silly, those are much too big for that tank. LOL...we need to only feed small bits of food...We must be careful OP might be Burrito..I don't think so..he spells too well but he does use that silly XD but I haven't seen any o_O