I got the bug....

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/240#post_3468570
Hey Krista how did you get the signature at the bottom of your post.
Click the "my profile" tab. Then, scroll down and just below your recent activity you will see your forum signature. Click on the edit signature link.
Update: My horses are THRIVING. The tank is looking good, but the same as the other pics. I need to get a better light and add more corals and macros.

al&burke

Great news Krista - I have a bunch of macros C taxifolia is taking over my lion tank - I have to prune some before I run into trouble. Have a great Easter

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3468764
Great news Krista - I have a bunch of macros C taxifolia is taking over my lion tank - I have to prune some before I run into trouble. Have a great Easter
Al...don't have that type of macro in your tank...get it out while you can. Every book on macros I have warns me never to use it, the stuff grows super fast like hair algae fast. Caulerpa prolifera looks like turtle grass and is much better and grows fast but not too fast.

novahobbies

I have it, I don't really think it takes over too quickly. I prune monthly.
The stuff *I* groan about is C. racemosa....the green grape caulerpa. "Racemosa" is right....this crap races thru the tank if I let it! It's also persnickety about going asexual and dissolving if the lighting schedule changes....or the temperature wavers....or if I sneeze the wrong way.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3468816
I have it, I don't really think it takes over too quickly. I prune monthly.
The stuff *I* groan about is C. racemosa....the green grape caulerpa. "Racemosa" is right....this crap races thru the tank if I let it! It's also persnickety about going asexual and dissolving if the lighting schedule changes....or the temperature wavers....or if I sneeze the wrong way.
Interesting...I copied and pasted my online book info____It isn't like I have hands on experiance, which is always better...It sure sounds like some bad stuff from what I read so I passed on the info.
This particular species features long, dark green, fronds with segmented appendages. It is very similar to C. Mexicana, but its fronds are spaced further apart and have a more uniform, tapered shape. It is also much more tolerant to a wide range of temperatures and a voracious grower in both the aquarium and in its natural environment. For this reason it is the single most controversial species of Caulerpa, as it can quickly take over non-native, nutrient rich waters if introduced. Today, it is rarely seen in the United States due to its recent addition to the Federal Noxious Weed List and infiltration of non-local waters. It is currently illegal to ship or transport this particular algae from any location and possession is banned in the state of California. Despite its reputation, there are many aquarium strains still in propagation in aquariums throughout North America, as well as Europe and Asia. It is occasionally observed growing in Florida waters, but has not been a problem due to the abundance of competing algae. Not palatable to fish or invertebrates.

novahobbies

Oh, I'd believe it -- I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be as bad in may particular tank. Personally I make sure that all my caulerpa is thrown away in zippie bags in the regular trash...I live in Florida, and I don't need to go adding to the occasional Caulerpa problems I'm told that we have.
Want to bug a kid (or an adult..)? Chaeto is perfectly edible. Wash it off, go into your kid's room and munch on a handful nonchalantly. Did this to my cousin, freaked him the heck out. And no, it doesn't taste bad. Salty, yes.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3468832
Oh, I'd believe it -- I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be as bad in may particular tank. Personally I make sure that all my caulerpa is thrown away in zippie bags in the regular trash...I live in Florida, and I don't need to go adding to the occasional Caulerpa problems I'm told that we have.
Want to bug a kid (or an adult..)? Chaeto is perfectly edible. Wash it off, go into your kid's room and munch on a handful nonchalantly. Did this to my cousin, freaked him the heck out. And no, it doesn't taste bad. Salty, yes.
I bet you keep your wife laughing...the nutty stuff you do just to be crazy.

novahobbies

Actually many of our macros are edible, and are staple foods in different parts of the world. Chaeto is high in Vitamin A and C, for instance.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3468950
Actually many of our macros are edible, and are staple foods in different parts of the world. Chaeto is high in Vitamin A and C, for instance.
LOL...All over the world folks eat all kinds of things. According to some, cockroaches.... EEWWWW.... taste like potato chips and are high in protein. Monkey brains or macro algaes....I am not going to eat it. But if you are eating such things for the shock effect, you remind me of my youngest son, that guy can make anyone laugh.
I'm still delighted and amused thinking about the spider critter you wrote about to explain the use of the word skitter....

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3468981
LOL...All over the world folks eat all kinds of things. According to some, cockroaches.... EEWWWW.... taste like potato chips and are high in protein. Monkey brains or macro algaes....I am not going to eat it. But if you are eating such things for the shock effect, you remind me of my youngest son, that guy can make anyone laugh.
I'm still delighted and amused thinking about the spider critter you wrote about to explain the use of the word skitter....
Yeah, I have a deep and ingrained fear of Palmetto bugs, so....no. Never. Eww. Monkey brains....well, prion diseases aside, I *might* try it, but I don't think so.
Thanks re: the skitter character! That little blurb found its way into a story I'm working on....sort of an exercise in Lovecraftian horror. It's not my usual genre, but I've been going through a lot of Poe and Lovecraft lately and I thought it would be fun to channel some of that energy somewhere. Haven't decided to keep the character as a true fantasy element, or twist it as a product of the main character's deranged imagination....an imaginary scapegoat to whom he can point to when his wife disappears. I like the nonhuman amoral aspect of the "real" fantastical beast, but at the end of the day, the horrors we commit upon each other are far worse to comprehend.
Back to the point of the thread: Krista! More pics! We don't care if they look the exact same....that's the point of an online tank diary! :)

gemmy

I think my horses are super lazy. They will not hunt for food in the tank. I waited extra time to get a good pod population going and they will not eat them. The pods are everywhere and the horses just look at them. I think I may have to get a mandy for this tank. I'm also considering getting another horse.

flower

He looks awesome, is he the only one in there? Last picture looks like he is hunting. Also, horses don't eat copepods, only amphipods. So if you have a ton of copepods...YAYYY...get a mandarin! That wall looks great.

gemmy

I have amphipods and my horses won't eat them. I also have a ton of copepods. Those pics I posted are old.
Here are some more recent:

flower

The tank looks awesome and the horses look happy and healthy. LOL, they will discover the joy of hunting some day. When you mentioned a mandarin I assumed you meant copepods. Maybe you just feed them too well.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3470676
The tank looks awesome and the horses look happy and healthy. LOL, they will discover the joy of hunting some day. When you mentioned a mandarin I assumed you meant copepods. Maybe you just feed them too well.
Thanks! I would like to see them hunt, but I'm not bothered if they don't. It just means I didn't have to seed the tank like I did. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3470674
They look great....so everything is going good with them??
Yeah, they are doing awesome. They sway back and forth when I go near the tank. They definitely see me as the food god.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/260#post_3470756
Thanks! I would like to see them hunt, but I'm not bothered if they don't. It just means I didn't have to seed the tank like I did. Oh well.
Yeah, they are doing awesome. They sway back and forth when I go near the tank. They definitely see me as the food god.
LOL...I have my Kuda tank in my bedroom/office, sometimes I look over to the tank...and they are watching me. I don't think they are hungry, they just look at whats going on outside the tank.