ARE ALLOWED TO BE TOLD TO THE AMERICAN
PUBLIC. THIS CERTINALY HAS NO REFLECTION ON
YOU NOR OTHER JOURNALIST. CORPORATE AMERICA
AS WELL AS THE WORLD BANK ETC. CONTROLLS MOST
OF WHAT WE LEARN FROM THE MEDIA, THIS IS A VERY
POWERFUL TOOL INDEED. AS FAR AS SADAM, THIS MAN
IS TRULY EVIL AND MUST BE DEALT WITH, HOWEVER YOU
MUST RELIZE HOW HE CAME TO BE, LIKE SO MANY OTHER
ENEMYS WE, AKA CIA MADE HIM WHAT HE IS TODAY.
SADAM WAS A PUPPET OF OUR GOVERMENT UNTILL
HE DECIDED TO JOIN OPEC AND RAISE HIS PRICES OF
OIL FROM 3.00 A BARREL TO 21.OO A BARREL OVERNIGHT.
THEN AND ONLY THEN DID HE BECOME AN ENEMY OF THE
USA. YOU THINK THE USA AS A NATION WILL SOMEDAY
LEARN ITS LESSON AND STOP FUNDING MADMEN LIKE
THIS. UNFORTUNATLY WE HAVN'T. THE SCHOOL OF THE
AMERICAS IS STILL UP AND RUNNING TEACHING DICTATERS
ETC. THE ART OF TERROR. WE AS A NATION OF FREE PEOPLE
NEED TO MAKE OUR LEADERS MORE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
THEIR ACTIONS, HOWEVER IF WE ARN'T ALLOWED TO
KNOW ALL THE FACTS WE CAN'T MAKE AN EDUCATED
DESISION.

wrassecal

WAMP - I have to disagree with bhav in part. I would love to hear the stock market is up and hear it over and over and over, day after day after day:D
Kennynj - welcome to the debate and excellent point. (you might want to take your cap lock off though) All of this is great stuff and I believe helps make the case that we are not as "savy" as we would like to believe we are. It is all a game with the players changing sides depending on who has the best to offer at the time. Let's not forget that 14 of the highjackers as well as Osama himself are from Saudi Arabia. And also, I believe the most likely target of Iraq should they retaliate is Israel.

kennynj

WRASSECAL,
I AGREE, SAUDI HAS BEEN FUNDING MANY
OF THESE CLOWNS. THERE'S NO EASY
ANSWER AND NEVER HAS BEEN. UNFORTUNATLY
THIS WAR IS NOT ONLY ABOUT GOOD VS EVIL,
IT'S A WAR FOR POWER AND OIL. THOSE WHO
CONTROLL IT HAVE THE POWER. THE GOVMNT.
HAS TO SELL THE WAR TO THE PUBLIC AND THOSE
WHO ARE DOING THE SELLING ARE VERY GOOD.
AS FAR AS ISREAL IS CONCERNED IT'S A VERY
DELICATE SITUATION THEY LIVE WITH THE THREAT
OF TERROR EVERY DAY, HOWEVER THERE'S ALWAYS
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY, AS ALWAYS MAIN STREAM
MEDIA MOSTLY TELLS ONE SIDE. YOU HAVE TO GO OUT OF
THE MAIN STREAM TO HEAR OTHER POINTS OF VIEW THEN MAKE YOUR OWN DESISION.

iceburger

go on ryebreads website for the pics on the people of this board...then go watch CNN late night...you might be suprised ;)

p_apac

but now im going to tell you what i really think of all this. i think that the media is the most corrupt organization that exists. they will tell flat out lies. right to your face and they believe it also. the media only reports on what it is allowed to report on. there is someone up there that says "no way we cant let that go on air". so the media is always one sided. and CNN is definatly agianst my beliefs. but then agian im a christian. not an athiest homosexual.

hairtrigger

Holy junk if this post hasn't given me an idea for a story. Wow. Ok, I am going to spend an hour reading all of this again. Then I will make like the alamo and REFUTE. :D
I stand alone. But, I am armed to the teeth so watch it folks. :D
Ok... I'll brb. :cool:

arkman

Draxx - good posts, well said, except I did do the search and "the communist rules for revolution" came up on an urban legends debunking page
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/commrule.htm
- But I don’t think the actual document matters - a much older book, "The Art of War" says basically the same things (albeit in a much more elegant manner ;)
Hair Trigger, the bottom line is that I WISH I had as much passion, dedication and respect for my career field as you do...with all sincerity, Congratulations.
With that said, it sounds like everyone on this board it intelligent enough to:
Not believe everything they hear and
Believe they don’t hear everything.
Lack of information can be as misleading as misinformation – the press just cant deliver it all, so they make choices, and these choices dramatically effect the perception of a story, issue, and to some extent, reality. :eek:

iceburger

After reading all the replies I am forced to share my own opinion...
The media in and of itself is not bad...as a matter of fact it is the most powerful tool that America has, but I believe that the media should be a little more careful about what they report, for instance, somthing that will harm a person just for the sake of reporting the "news" , now in the case of Mr. Lott I do believe it should have been reported as his voters and the American public have the right to know what he believes, and also I do not believe that CNN or any other news network worth its salt (no pun intended) is trying to tell us, the viewers, what to think, IMO the media is mostly left wing, and there is nothing wrong with that, that is what they believe and America gives them that right, so what they're doing is reporting the news the way that they think it should be reported, they are usually unbiased and correct but sometimes mistakes happen, everyone is human...
Although I do believe this so called ressesion (sp.) could have been avoided by, the media not making such a big deal about it.
Think about it, if you hear that a ressesion is coming and the stock market is going to be weak...what is the first thing most people are going to do?...sell their stock...cut losses, now if you hear that the stock market is going to be strong and the economy is going to be better, what do you do? Buy stocks, hope to make some money...
So in closing, it all boils down to "what is the news?"...and I believe the media does a pretty good all around job figuring out what the news is and reporting it...

hairtrigger

Yes yes, many good things here. And many good points. I can honestly see why some people think the things they do about the media. Often times, it is the person delivering the "message" that gets crucified. In the real world, media, anything. However, that is not always an accurate judgement. It is tough to see why organizations do the things they do without really seeing "behind the scenes."
So, before I really get going, I must reply to the only comment I took as snide on here. And draxx already called attention to it. No need to delete the thread, as this is the only rude thing I have seen, but I am capable of responding. Aaron parks says:
"i think that the media is the most corrupt organization that exists. they will tell flat out lies. right to your face and they believe it also. the media only reports on what it is allowed to report on. there is someone up there that says "no way we cant let that go on air". so the media is always one sided. and CNN is definatly agianst my beliefs. but then agian im a christian. not an athiest homosexual."
Wow. Not only is this immature, and vindictive, the statement couldn't be more wrong. My only conclusion is that it was spoken under the influence. If a journalist "flat out lies to your face," he gets fired. Plain and simple. A journalists integrity and credibility is ALL that he has. His entire reputation is based on that. If you are caught in a lie, or misrepresenting a story... you are immediate history. Your public could never trust you again, and neither could your boss, or peers.
Secondly, yes, in a roundabout way, you were right without meaning to be. We do only report on what we are allowed to, because, we can report on anything and everything. If it is newsworthy, and we can back up the facts, and verify the information, we will report it. So, in a backwoods sort of way, you are mildly correct.
Ho hum, thirdly, CNN does not support "beliefs." We are neutral. I am not as you put it an "atheist homosexual." Actually, I am Christian like you. And you should capitalize your religions Aaron. It's ok though, we'll chalk that one up to the moonshine. As a matter of fact, I am an Italian Roman Catholic. And I am by far a heterosexual. There are too many beautiful women running around the CNN Center to be otherwise. :cool: While CNN has a wonderful policy about employing anyone, and giving them full benefits, I am not homosexual. So in turn, you just trashed yourself. We are both Christians, and I work at your enemy. However, I do not think I am on the same intellectual level as you. As for everyone else's post... yall are getting my brain working overtime. :D
Let me say this to Demosethnes: For 15 years old, you seem to have your head screwed on. That goes to show age isn't a factor on smarts. You made some good points.
Now, Bush is deffinitly an oil man. I personally believe there is a hidden oil agenda to his Iraq conflict. But, I would never take a story like that. However, the reason he is worried about Iraq right now is not because they might PRODUCE weapons of mass destruction, it is because he, and the rest of the permanent UN security council, believe that Saddam HAS weapons of mass destruction and has hidden them. They are worried that he is so mentally unbalanced that he will use them at the drop of a hat. Part of the problem is, Saddam has been connected to Al- Qaeda. That is partially why he was targeted before N. Korea. Bush vowed to fight terrorism first. This is part of his War on Terror. Now, we will probably deal with North Korea. The reason we arent now, is because of terrorism, AND the destruction associated with another Korean War.
The South Korean president told Bush about the reprocussions another "forgotten war" would bring. The joint chiefs of staff have estimated that more than one million americans will die in another Korean war. Part of this is because Seoul, which has a huge american population, is directly in the crosshairs of North Korean artillery. They would begin dessimating as soon as they think we are attacking. Also, we really can only tackle one thing at a time. There is not enough UN backing to chase down North Korea yet. ANd N Korea hasn't posed the threat Saddam has. They admit to maintaining a Nuclear Weapons Program, but they don't threaten and hide behind it. Also, they are not a top UN priotrity because they are "passive." They are a threat though, and we watch them. And will continue to monitor them, covertly, and openly.
So, in turn, we are not biased. We go on what we are given. I can tell you first hand, I don't write my stories by saying "hmmm, hahahaha, how can I take this from the GOP standpoint?" I write it by saying "hmmm, how can I tell both sides, in a concise, easy to understand manner." When dealing with these type of issues, that's not always easy. Sometimes things seem like the US is biased, but, the US is a controlling superpower.
Now, for Arkman and the rest of the ratings folks: Ark said "if it bleeds it leads."
Essentially, that is kind of correct I suppose. But, that's only because y'all, the viewers, want that. Well, not necissarily want it, but you eat it up. And when we see something that yall eat up, we air it because that seems like what you want. Now, unfortunately, violence might also be pertinent. I mean, war is no fun, but, it is necessary to air. Keep in mind, it is our sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers, over there fighting, getting shot, and blown up for our future. Personally, I want to know about that. Gruesome or not, it is our job as citizens to care about what they are doing 12,000 miles away.
AND KEEP IN MIND: There are hundreds of journalists risking their a$$ overthere to bring you this news. If yall knew how many journalists get killed, or taken hostage, during wars... it would astound you. But we keep going back, so you, the viewer, can get that information. :eek: Biased, no, crazy, yes. :cool:

hairtrigger

Now kelly, there is plenty of good stuff happening in the world. And we do air a lot of it. We call it "feature stories." But, most of those leave people's mind as soon as they hear them. Goes back to the other point, people concentrate on the violence and madness. The "fluff" just fades away. I have done stories on "nelson mandela's AIDS awareness concert" "hip hop dictionaries" "a crazy cat survival story" "first time home buying" "why so many kids today are living at home after college" "job hunting" so on and so forth. But, I bet, you viewers don't remember things like that. No, because it doesn't strike your fancy quite as much as the blackhawks skimming the desert to pick up the remaining 14 guys from a 15 man special forces unit. You want to know why that last guy was shot twice, then you want to know why he died while being medi-vacked out.
Let me just touch briefly on Headline News' crazy screen. There is a method to the madness there. See, CNN is made up of several different networks. You tune in Headline News when you want "real news, real fast." The thinking behind the screen is that: People watching Headlines are doing several things at once. Cleaning, cooking, getting ready for work, etc. So, we have all the graphics up so you dont have to necissarily listen to the story, you can glance up, get some bullet points, understand the story, and get educated that way. However, you can also glance down and get weather, sports, without having to wait for it. Headlines isn't meant to be watched continuously. It is meant to be watched when you have a few minutes to catch up on the day. If you want a news channel that you are supposed to keep on continuously, turn on CNN or CNN-International. Headlines incorporates a lot of the "fun" stories because we are aiming at everyone. But, in the same sense, we do the big stories. Sit back and analyze the different formats. You will notice the fast pace on headlines, and the more old school, typical "stiff shirted" style on CNN. See? There is reasoning behind the screen. We have to tailor to as many people as possible, not just what you want as an individual.
Scotts, good points too. I like the politician thing. As journalists, we are expected to get things correct all the time. We try, but it is near impossible. And the one thing we hate is airing retractions. But, it happens. We usually straighten it out though. As long as we try to stick to the basic journalistic values, we avoid trouble. Now, as far as checking out who I am, yes, you can see rye's site. But, that pic is about 8 years old. Also, when I am at work I wear a suit AND tie. And my hair and face is a little different these days. I look a lot older, even though I am not even 30, it is specifically why I used that picture. But, as far as blatantly saying "Hey, this is who I am" I am going to refrain in case some folks really don't like us journalists. Same kind of reason I keep my phone number and address unlisted. When I was a crime reporter, many of the folks I reported on didn't like that too much. No worries though, I am sure folks on here could figure it out. But keep in mind, I work the dead middle of the night overnights. :cool:
Draxx, you are right about the Lott coverage coming a little late. We didn't necissarily get the full scope of those comments until many complaints came out. But, once we learned of them, you can be sure we jumped on them. That is something that directly affects the public. No one wants a racially biased leader. ANd yes, if he'd kept his comments to the side, people wouldn't have known. But, that is the whole issue, he slipped up and showed his true side. That was a fortunate thing for Americans. If he'd kept quiet, he could have continued subtly keeping down african americans without exposing himself. He admits his racial biased. He just says that he is "reformed" now. Shady character.
As far as all those correspondents, anchors, etc, moving their heads, nodding, etc... that tells you something. They are all doing it, so their must be a reason. That reason is they are reading from a 18 inch by 18 inch teleprompter. They have to move their heads slightly to do that. But also, goes back to what I said about inflecting, stressing words, etc. If you've had voicew training and do that, it kind of carries your head a little bit. No biggie, but it is a contributing factor. Now, they also do that some so they dont just stand still like a talking head. But, don't read into it like a hidden message or subliminal push. It's really an innocent action.
And the unemployment story, I might not have explained that clearly enough. A main focus of that story was to explain to people how to get out of the lines. We said, here are some options, here are some avenues, possibilities, etc. But, there are so many millions of people, unfortunately, it is tough to help them all. But, we did try. No one wants unemployment, it is a burden on economy, family, life, and morale.
Now, I have typed for an hour. I need to get into the work load. It is crunch time soon. But, I am not done. I will post more later in the night. The amount of time I spend on swf.com is crazy. I like this post though. Keep it going. Be back soon. :cool:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is a very good thread so lets please refrain from personal attacks on anyone posting here. Debate, disagree, agree, but keep it civil without name-calling.
So, HT, the conservatives blast CNN for being the "liberal" media and pretty much are moving to the FOX News Net. I am conservative myself, and find that CNN is, overall, the least biased, and FOX blatantly biased to the right. Why do you think that generally the media is deemed, or, in some circles, condemned, as liberal?

litlfishy

This thread has been the most interesting that I have ever read on the internet. I thought I was getting on-line to learn about protein skimmers, but instead received a real education. One, that the people on this board are truly well informed and educated (for the most part). Two, that this has been a little slice, cross section of the American public, and find it encouraging that people still care so deeply about the greatest country on earth (unbiased). And three. HT, it has been very enlightening to see the media, through the media's eyes. I think everybody, pro or con, have been better informed. So I guess I'm saying that you are being sucessful in your quest. Now for my opinion, news is news, its the best attempt to get the most pertinent information, to the most people, in the most timely fashion. Biased or unbiased, its still the news (whats actually going on in the world). I believe that I'm intelligent enough to form my own opinions, know right from wrong, and have a basic enough of a grasp on the world to not be blindly misled. Propoganda is most effective on uninformed and uneducated people. We in this country, all have the power and responsibility to educated ourselves. As I thought I was going to do on protein skimmers. The news should stimulate thinking, its not intended to give all the worlds info. in 30 minutes. Thats impossible!! If the only education people get now is from the news, then yes it can sway a persons beliefs. In that sense it would be a form of propagation. So, my charge is this, if people think news is propagation, go educate yourself on the facts. Take in more than what the news has to offer, so that you can have your own beliefs, not just what the news reports.

hairtrigger

Ok, the crunch time is over, the morning shows are ready to roll, and I'm ready to get back to typing. If y'all knew how close we cut it trying make air sometimes, you'd have an aneurism.
You wanted fun news.... I did a story this morning about a hip-hoptionary. A reference guide for hip hop, slang lingo. You can bet yer a$$es we had fun with this one. Also, besides the usual mid east stuff, we did stories on:
wolves becomming endangered,
which states will get a white Christmas,
Friends' 10th year as a sitcom
Powerball jackpot
blah, blah, blah, I could go on forever on the nice, feature stories we did, just today. But, those would be forgotten and overlooked immediately. The gruesome, violent stories that viewers focus on would be all that's left to remember. :rolleyes:
Now, beth. I have heard, and also believe that we at CNN are the least biased. But, individual journalists try hard to be non biased at all. Fox tends to be biased on certain shows like Hannity and Colmes (sp?) for this reason: Not all the time, but often, they let republicans speak, but when it's democrats or liberals turn, they interrupt them so their views are never heard. It isn't necissarily the journalists who are biased, it is the guests and such who trampse other guests. Now, shows like that and the O'Reilly factor aren't meant to be hard news shows. They are supposed to have a certain amount of bias. You can't take those as your educational information source. Just like CNN's Lou Dobbs says about his show, Moneyline. "We cover news, finance, a little of this and that... and yes, I also give my opinions." But, when it comes to straight news, I don't think information is meant to be biased, although it might come across that way. I make it a point to never be biased. I almost refuse to be. In a way, I am actually taking a risk by offering my opinions here. But, I am not covering a story, so it is a-okay. I am entitled to my views just as you,, or anyone else is.
And thanks for mentioning the name calling. I don't like being called names... but when someone calls me a liar, directly, or indirectly, that just isn't very cool. Especially when my entire livelyhood is based on truth, facts, and credibility.
Draxx... I am glad I have changed your view of journalists. It is not us as individuals who are neccissarily bad. We just want to do the best job we can, and get a paycheck like anyone else.
Now, as far as the power of the media. I think I agree with you there. Just like any powerful medium, it can be used for good or bad. But, I think our government and our bosses do a good job of regulating it so we keep it straight. Well, maybe not so much the government. But, our bosses make sure we don't f-around with the news.
CNN, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc, are of course, corporations. Hence, National Broadcasting COMPANY, American Broadcasting COMPANY. They are businesses, money makers like any other company. Now I tend to agree with you here. I am not a company man. And I will never play one. But, Headlines is great to be employed at because it isn't managed like a typical company. Our managers, are surprisingly supportive and laid back.
And you hit it on the head... ADVERTISING keeps the networks alive, not the viewers like most people believe. The more viewers there are, the more we can charge for advertising. However, our content does not always dictate our viewership. There is the the comittment to news first and foremost. After the hard news is in, that's when we worry about putting in the other, hook-the- viewers stories. But, there are entire advertising departments to take care of that business stuff. I am not very good when it comes to business.
Now, I agree about the big conglomerates buying up the little fishies. However, part of that is trying to combine sources to blanket people with the most avenues for information. In essence, you log on to aol, you see the news headlines. When you click on one to see more... if you notice, it is a CNN written story. Basically, it was a merger to make more money, but at the same time, gain viewers. Now, gaining viewers isn't a bad thing. A news organization often wants to gain viewers because they believe they can benefit from their product more than any other entities. There is also the combonation of money- making, and ratings, sure. But, that is the business side. The news side still cares about their job... informing people.
But, like you said, eventually there will be so many big fishies owning the little ones, that you will run into the big one no matter what avenue you take. There will probably only be four or five big time owners, but, they will control all the small time places. It is like small local stations being affiliates of CNN. They pay us to be able to use our video, packages, writes, etc. Same thing goes for the three other main national networks. They all have affiliates too. Hence your local NBC, CBS, ABC stations

hairtrigger

litlfishie-- glad to see you like the post. You brought up a good point about propaganda. It only really works on the uninformed. The news informs, no matter what the story, or what airs. Either way you are getting information. The basis for that information is the written word, whether it is TV, or newspaper. That is why we have copyeditors here who check our writing. Basically, our stories go through three filters before they air. If something is inaccurate, it is changed. And if it seems like personal views bias the story, it is changed. We are just offering information, it is up to the viewer to believe us or not. Honestly, it would be a safe bet to believe us, because we do our best to report truth. Now, that is where the filters come in again. They help ensure we are not just writing out stuff out of thin air. If I am writing a story that comes off the wires, I usually check three different wire services for the info.... actually, four:
Associated Press Wires
CNN Wires
Reuters News Service
Associated Free Press Wires.
Their information usually matches up. But, sometimes they don't. That's when things get tough. For example, today:
An Afghani soldeir was killed in an overnight car attack.
One wire said missile attack.
One said rocket attack.
One said grenade.
Local police said remote controlled bomb.
You know what I did? I simply said:
Afghani authorities are investigating a deadly overnight car attack outside of Kandahar.
One afghani soldier was killed, three others wounded, when their car exploded.
It's still too early to decipher between the conflicting accounts.
The associated press reports it was a missile attack.
AFP reports...
Local police report...
That way, I covered every avenue, and the viewer gets all the good info. They don't just get one account, they know that the story is still in the early stages of investigation, and there are many conflicting accounts of what happened. Also, they will tune in for more, hopefully.
Iceburger: I would like to think we are responsible for the economy, because if the bosses ran it like they do the networks, the nation would have a huge surplus of money instead of a recession.
Now, unfortunately, it has nothing to do with us. It is the bureaucrats on capitol hill, the white house, etc. They determine where the funding goes. Sure, we report on the economy left and right. But, we report on the stock exchanges, money markets, goverment spending, etc, after the fact. We can't predict those things so we don't have a direct bearing on them. If someone decides to invest based on what they hear on financial news, that is there perogative. Now, you can watch stocks fluctuate based solely on being mentioned on the news. But, a smart investor does his research before throwing money into something. If someone invests his hard earned money without researching it, and loses it all, that is from his own lack of smarts. And, the news has no direct bearing on where the government puts money. Also, if someone spends too much and lives outside his means, that is his tough luck. He should educate himself on personal finance. Basically, I disagree with you saying most people base their investing on what they hear on the news. That is utter stupidity if they do that. Sure, they can get the hot financial info from the news. But, then they need to do more educated research before moving their money around. I personally invest quite often. I enjoy it very much. But, I make dang sure I thoroughly look at every factor before I put money in something, or take it out for that matter.
For example, you mentioned stocks. That is many people's first mistake. Stocks are not big money makers. Most people don't even know how to analyze stocks. They think buy low, sell high. But, the price of a stock doesn't reflect its annual profit or anything like that, contrary to what many believe. Now, stocks are good long-term money makers if you know what you're investing in. Day trading can yield big instant results if you have the capital to invest, and the know how, and computers to monitor each and every stock constantly. But, you'd have better results going to Vegas and gambling. Money markets are good, but you have to know where to invest. Property is always a safe investment. You NEED to know what you're doing if playing with money.
You said "what do people do if the stock market is doing well? Invest in it and hope to make money." BAM. Those are not wise investors. Those are the people companies are making money off of. You don't HOPE to make money. You know whether you will, and at what percentage your return will hopefully be. Like United Airlines. I can bet so many people invested in them thinking "oh, bankruptcy has dropped their stock. If I invest in them, when they get back on their feet, I can make a killing. Afterall, the government is helping them." Huge mistake. I bet those people didn't realize 90% of the companies who claim bankruptcy never make it out. Also, even before 9-11, Uniteds stock was topping at like 47 dollars. It dropped to like 18 right before 9-11. Since then, it is like 16 cents. People might buy a bunch of shares for 20.00. But, they don't realize, those shares will keep losing money on the dollar. They basically paid a huge comission to bet they will make money while losing it. Sure, 20 isnt much. But, it is still a loss, combined with a bad decision. That is why so many people really don't make the money on stocks they hope to. Long term you can make some jingle, but you need to be patient. Money markets offer good turnover usually. Finally, again, people should not use the news as their only research base for investing.
Good thoughts though. Brought up another good point, and many people make that mistake.
So, I am going to look around for some reef information while people keep posting. I am sure there is plenty to keep going. Now, if there is something I didn't respond to, please let me know. I will try to address that also. This has been a lot of reading for me, but is very intriguing and fun. :cool:
Draxx, I dont know what the rating thing does either. But hey, it is a thumbs up, so it hopefully is good.
Maybe we'll all get a dozen free u-build it packages for having a good rating.
Hey sammy.... make it happen huh? :D

hairtrigger

Haha, right on nolo. :cool:
Man, I am actually trying to pitch a fun "feature story" about aquariums and how popular they are getting.
Now, if I can fulfill my alterior motive by getting multiple tanks given to me for interviewing Oceanic, one is yours. But, I seriously doubt that would happen. I am joking about my alterior motive too people. Don't read too much into it. :cool:
You have a good point about NPR. They are actually really good to listen to. A little boring, but very informative.
You're not the only one worried about feeling unstable because of not knowing what to believe. I keep hearing about all this war stuff, but I don't have a clue about when. And then us journalists have to go through Hazardous Materials, Combat Zone training. Skeery, and it could be that nothing happens. Doubtfully, but, could be. Either way, it shows our dedication to getting the public informed. Risking our behinds, getting shot at, etc, where all we are armed with is a microphone, camera, and creativity. :eek:

hairtrigger

Haha, hey mon, if I end up going over there, I will report to inform America, but I will be dodging the bullets to save my own a$$. :D
And if people think that's being selfish as a journalist, they can kiss the previously mentioned appendage, if you will. :D
That is so very true. You really do need to take everything with a grain of salt. (Hi again you know who.) That's why I am so open minded to people's opinions on this post. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even to voice them, but not everyone has to agree. :cool:
And yeah dude, NPR should have an audio disclaimer that tells you not to listen while you drive.... for fear of passing out.
:D

wrassecal

Webster, America's socially acceptable filter for the meaning of the English word defines propaganda as 1. information or ideas methodically spread to promote or injure a cause, movement, nation etc. 2. the deliberate spreading of such information or ideas 3. the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement.
Who will argue that the American media and government does not deliberately deliver information and ideas that methodically spread and promote the movement for war with Iraq, with cause, in order to promote doctrines and principles of the nation of the United States of America.
I am only trying to get those who don't understand propaganda to understand it. Without it we can not be a society. We must rally the society to the belief system or lay ourselves open for others to change our minds. It is not only the ignorant that believe the propaganda machine.
litlefishys - propaganda is not the most effective on the uninformed and uneducated. It is most effective on the informed and educated people of a certain society and belief set. We want to hear the things that we already believe. If we don't hear those things, then within our own minds we suffer from "cognitive dissonance" which means our thoughts are out of balance with our belief system. We seek to recreate that balance so that we can feel comfortable in our belief system again.
For instance, we can easily praise the media for reporting on the Lott thing (and I do praise them for it) and believe that he should be ousted as leader because it fits with our society's belief system that we have the ability to choose our leaders and that
they will be taken down if proven unfit. We take that story and talk about it feel no squirm of conscience about it.
But global matters are different. Seeing the world through the western worlds propaganda is what got us in this mess in the first place. We were/are not ready for this. (my earlier post) I have a lot of "cognitive dissonance" from this. I AVIDLY listen to my society's propaganda in order to try to find balance, selfishly in part, because my son is one of the 50,000 that will be leaving for the middle east in early January. If I was ignorant and uneducated I could blindly believe that this is the absolute right thing to do and that my childs's life is going to be put in danger for the absolute right cause. I would not question or seek answers. Now here's where it gets really crazy with me. I ABSOLUTELY approve that my (educated) son believes the propaganda of our country and the Marine Corp. because those two belief systems are what will have the best chance of keeping him safe. Try putting all that in one mind and finding some balance:eek:
HT - I think most of us do know and GREATLY appreciate the danger that photojournalists and jounalists put themselves in so that we can get the news reports that we crave. I believe that part of the reason we are going to war against terrorism is because of the terrorism that has been perpetrated on our journalists in other countries. If you do accept an assignment in a dangerous area may God go with you.
Draxx - Thank You :) And I am totally blown away by your "fishy" analogy, awesome! Depending on definition, I have had great successes and great failures. I think I frame my questioning/opinions in a different fashion because I have had the opportunity to work with people from many cultures in a manner that is an open forum for dialog and discussion. Just broadens the perspective I guess. Other than Sammy saying he loves me ( he always says that :D ) and is on the same page with his thinking (which is why I may love him too) you are the only one that has responded to my posts. Thanks again.