Jackri's 90g reef

jackri

Well my clam is back open... and after close inspection something is picking on him --- like taking bites. I know my little cleaner shrimp likes to hang out on his shell and has done little picks on him now and then.. but these look like bite chunks -- which could only be my 4-5" blue hippo tang. Hmmm might have to be moved to the frag tank :(
Other clams are A OK though.

bmac_2727

truly awesome tank. Great shot of the tang and clown together. I bet the xenia is growing like wildfire though.

jackri

Yeah my green star polyps are really starting to dominate the back left and the xenia on the right. I'm thinking about taking out my powerheads and replacing them with 3 or 4 of the Koralia #4's against the back wall for circulation. I've seen them on sale this month.... but still 50 or 60 bucks a piece yet :/

jackri

Just picked up 3 Koralia #4's off a guy for 30 bucks each. Those maxi-jets are coming out and we'll see how the flow does after I get them. I've never been happy with flow in my main tank.. maybe these will cheer me up. I actually got the idea from another 90g reef poster on here and thought hmmm... that's what I need.
I'll get new pics up when the new PH's come in :)

jackri

Koralia's are in.... now I just need time to put them in and do some tank cleaning and I'll get some new pics up. Of course just started my 12hr weekend shift :(

jackri

And the full tank shot. Love the new powerheads and so far my favorite tank shot. Thinking about adding a bunch of small frags from the frag tank and let them go wild wherever they want to grow... sooo... something to work on I guess.

meowzer

Looks really good...especially the first pic ;)
Is that a new clam in the front? It looks small...How big is it?

jackri

That's my maxima that was getting shaded out by my purple tipped plating coral until it finally jumped. I think he's almost 3". I have had him about 1 year and 3/4 probably? He hasn't grown much. I do think my crocea is about full grown and hoping my derasa doubles in size at least yet :D

loopy101

awesome looking tank!!! but i do have a question in your second post the 3rd pict, the purple coral in the center what is it? looks pretty interesting!

jackri

I've always called it a purple tipped plating coral... but perhaps a monti? I'm not 100% on that though.

jackri

Thought I would throw this in just because of some skimmer debate going on. I do have a skimmer sitting in the sump but it needs a good cleaning (pulled out of a tight fit cleaning) and hasn't been used effeciently in about 2 months... and been unplugged for the last few weeks. I'll get it going again but obviously it hasn't hurt the tank and I do about a 5 gallong water change every 2-3 weeks although I wish I would get it down to weekly but 12hr shifts, a kid, life... doesn't always work out.

jackri

Lovin the new flow in the tank. Layed on the floor and watched the tank for about an hour -- and considering I'm doing 12hr shifts right now that's a lot of time.
I also looked in the cave that my clown hangs out in... which has mushrooms and thoguht hey that's a funny looking shroom. Well... lo and behold it's a baby RBTA!!!!!! I had a small one in there 3 months ago.. dissappeared for 3 weeks.. and put it in my frag tank ever since and today --- about 3 months later I find a baby in there stretching for light with tentacles and all!! YAY!!!
Oh, I have plans to move in a purple poc, some eagle eye zoos and a green slimer from the frag tank to DT this week. Got new motiviation with the powerheads-- looks so much cleaner and awesome flow!