Marijuana

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by salty blues
No quarrel with you lion but that info is pure BS.
lmao!!!!!! oH THAT IS RICH!!!! Hahahahahahahahaha
wheez.....
hahahhahahaha
wheez.....
Proof positive of the side effects and brain damage to marijuana.....
response to an acredited independent study held by Brown institute is "that is pure BS".
I find it funny.
You know why? Not one single pro-marijuana supporter has presented one study or organization that backs up their claim. I pull info from a PRO marijuana website and you still deny what they state. we bring info from Brown institute and your response is "BS". No wonder no one is going to be swayed one way or the other. You guys are to high to understand verified info, and your facts are not backed up with literature so the non smoking crowd won't take you seriously.
And to whoever said mushrooms taken in small doses do not hinder your abilities....do you understand what a hallucinagenic drug does?

sepulatian

Oiy, My ex husband's guitar player was and is the biggest "pothead" I have ever met. He used to try to philosophically explain his argument about legalizing marijuana. He was an intelligent person, but the years of smoking have distorted his perception of reality. He gave basically the same comments as we are receiving here by those who smoke it. I was married to a drummer for 10 years, and spent most of that time in the full swing of the "rock" lifestyle. I have been around more drug users than I care to mention in the past. I would honestly say that Marijuana is habit forming, but not addictive. I have known people addicted to a variety of nasties, including heroin. Marijuana is habit forming. I know people, including my ex-husband when we got together after years of him smoking, who have quit with no trouble at all. Many Pro-marijuana people would love to claim that it has no lasting effects. They say that, unlike alcohol consumption, you wake up refreshed and without a hangover. I don't have scientific data for you, but I have a decade of dealing with these people. They have no idea how dumb they sound to those that don't smoke. No offense to anyone here. I am talking about the MANY that I have spoken to and delt with that smoke.

scgator

Thanks for the Congrats RudeDog. If it wasn't for the beautiful and loving woman that sits beside me now I probably wouldn't have made it!
This report has estimated the budgetary implications of legalizing marijuana and taxing and regulating it like other goods. According to the calculations here, legalization would reduce government expenditure by $5.3 billion at the state and local level and by $2.4 billion at the federal level. In addition, marijuana legalization would generate tax revenue of $2.4 billion annually if marijuana were taxed like all other goods and $6.2 billion annually if marijuana were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. This report was published by:
Jeffrey A. Miron
Visiting Professor of Economics
Harvard University
Cambridge, MA 02138
781-856-0086
miron@fas.harvard.edu
This report prompted over 500 economists to sign an open letter to the president in favor of the legalization of marijuana. Search for "Time to legalize marijuana? 500+ economists endorse marijuana legalization" to read the letter and the report. Three of the economists are nobel laureates. All are from the university level.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
That is faulty logic to compare video game addiction to marijuana addiction. Marijuana can have serious health effects, both short term and long term. Playing a video game for three hours a day will not hurt you, but smoking marijuana that much everyday certainly will.

You need to get your facts straight. Where do you get these facts to substantiate your claims? Serious health effects? If anything, marijuana has been proven to assist with the side effects of cancer and chronic pains. The only person who would smoke marijuana 3 hours a day, is a drug addict who couldn't get hold of his true fix (cocaine, heroin, whatever), and needed something to 'take the edge off' until he could afford the expensive stuff. The average pot smoker probably 'lights up' about as often as they would if they drank alcohol as an alternative. You'll have more serious health effects drinking alcohol (liver disease, kidney disease, heart disease). Want to go back to Prohibition? Have you ever tried marijuana? Sounds like you got 'scared straight' with those drug videos you watched in Health class in high school.

reefraff

You really should read the material responsible pro MJ groups like NORMAL puts out. They admit there are some health risks associated with use, not heavy use, not abuse, just use.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
And to whoever said mushrooms taken in small doses do not hinder your abilities....do you understand what a hallucinagenic drug does?
Yes, I understand what a hallucinogenic drug does, and in small doses I do not believe it causes any long term effects. Tell me again why it would be legal in some countries? Europe has better health care than we do here and it is legal in some countries over there.

darthtang aw

Straight from the heartland for legalized.
Proponents of legalization almost certainly would cite Amsterdam as the drug Mecca of the Western world. Anyone may go into the restaurants in this city and order marijuana and hashish from a menu; further, heroin and cocaine have been decriminalized for all practical purposes. The police simply leave the users alone. Consequently, health officials estimate that Amsterdam has 7,000 addicts, 20% of whom are foreigners.58 These addicts are responsible for 80% of all property crime in the city, thus necessitating that Amsterdam maintain a police presence far greater than those of cities of comparable size in the United States.59
The Dutch have not raised one dollar in tax revenue from drug sales, and drug violators account for 50 percent of the Dutch prison population, a higher proportion than in the United States. The Netherlands is the most crime-prone nation in Europe and most drug addicts live on state welfare payments and by committing crimes. Nationwide, the number of reported crimes increased to 1.3 million in 1992 from. 812,000 in 1981. Faced with public disgust at home over soaring drug related crime and pressure from other European Community countries to strengthen drug laws, Dutch authorities are implementing an aggressive program to reduce drug-linked crimes and disturbances and show new teeth in combatting illegal drug sales.63 Eberhard van der Laan, leader Of the Social Democrats in the Amsterdam City Council says, "People are absolutely fed up with all the troubles caused by drug addicts - car windows broken, noise, whole streets almost given up to the drug problem." Legalization advocates claim that marijuana use in Netherlands has not increased since the laws were liberalized, but the number of Amsterdam drug cafes rose from 30 to over 300 in one decade. They also fail to note that daily marijuana use by U.S. youth has declined by 75 percent.
Also, the netherlands are ranked 17th in best healthcare from around the world. The top ten are drug free countries. Try looking something up before making a claim that can be easily proven wrong.
And a halluinagenic alters perception of reality greatly. small doses over time have been proven to force "retrips" where the brain malfunctions and yyou see things that aren't there. No serious side effects? Give me a break. You are the addict justifying your addiction. You can't argue with me about this. I used to be you on a much larger and worse scale. I saw first hand how drugs affect your outcome.

nano reefer

They just had a 60 minutes thing on this. It was out in California where marijuana could be prescribed. They caught a doctor prescribing marijuana to patients for: foot pain (from wearing high heels), minor headaches, and tiredness. They also hid a camera in the doctors waiting room and they caught about 8 people talking about what they were going to say to the doctor to get marijuana. They were all laughing and making jokes and stuff.
Its ridiculous! I mean for the people that do need it, they should be allowed to use it. But people going in and lying to get high are going to have it illegal.
60 minutes was showing what you could get in a walk-in weed store. About 40 diff kinds, cookies, tea, and pre-rolled joints. They also interviewed customers and they told them which they liked the best. Most of the people talked more about what the weed does to them, more than it heals their "pains".

1journeyman

I find it interesting how so many of the posts in favor of pot sound like they are coming from an addict making excuses...
*"it's not as bad as (insert other drug here)"
*"I'm not addicted"
*"that info is bs"
*"A lot of people do it"
*"If it was legal it would be ok..."
*"It's a government conspiracy..."
"There's nothing wrong with it"
etc...

nano reefer

Originally Posted by reefraff
You really should read the material responsible pro MJ groups like NORMAL puts out. They admit there are some health risks associated with use, not heavy use, not abuse, just use.
The problem is not health risks, its the fact that people are using it to get high and lying to get it legally.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by salty blues
I just dont understand why the other half of the people think pot is worse then alcohol.
Because of "war on drugs" propaganda and misinformation.
true, alcohol does cause more deaths then marijuana, but as long as you are over 21 it is legal to drink, and you get in trouble for drinking to much. Until recently marijuana was illegal, and if you over abuse it in California you don't go to jail. Alcohol has never been illegal, and marijuana has. That switch causes conflict.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I find it interesting how so many of the posts in favor of pot sound like they are coming from an addict making excuses...
*"it's not as bad as (insert other drug here)"
*"I'm not addicted"
*"that info is bs"
*"A lot of people do it"
*"If it was legal it would be ok..."
*"It's a government conspiracy..."
"There's nothing wrong with it"
etc...

Replace the word marijuana with the word alcohol, and you'd get the same responses from people who hate alcohol. Take a poll on the number of people who drink alcohol on a constant basis. I imagine you'd get mostly 'Yes' votes. But hey, that's OK, it's legal. At least it is now. Back in the days of Prohibition, there were closed-minded people just like you who said the same things about the 'evil's of the devil's water'. Alcohol is just as addictive, causes more health issues, and by your own admission, the cause of one of the top killers in this nation (drunk driving). The one's who are against it, are the one's who've never tried it. If it were legal tomorrow, and health officials refuted the claims that it's no worse than than what alcohol can do to your body, would you have any problems with people who used it? The problem is, passing a law to legally use marijuana will never happen. There's no politician in D.C. that would touch that bill with a 10-foot pole. As I stated in an earlier post, HBO showed a very interesting documentary on marijuana. One of the parts was this organization lobbying congressmen to vote 'For' on a bill for a form of medical legalization of marijuana use. You should've seen the congressmen run away from the camera as soon as this guy asked them for their support. If you don't like the idea of using marijuana as an alternative form to get the same results as you do with alcohol, that's fine. But don't demonize marijuana simply on the basis that it's illegal. Because if you say that drinking alcohol is OK, and smoking pot isn't, simply in terms of what the two do to you physically and emotionally, then you are a hypocrite.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by Krista921
alchohal was illegal once
it was called prohibition
oops, forgot about that. Well, look what happened. People died because of it, and it never really worked.

reefer545

I'm not sure I follow your last statement Nano. At all. No offense. Hey Reefraff, Its "NORML" Not "NORMAL". Just for everyone else who hasnt heard of them. They are a great organization.
Many of you anti pot people make a very good points about our pro pot points. I actually couldnt agree with you more that we have sometimes
used, for lack of a better word, stupid, responses and reasons. The difference is that you find it necessary to point it out. Go back and read the anti pot entrees You might be surprised at the reasons and responses some of you have listed as to why pot should remain illegal.
Onward and upward.
I know this isnt a debate about alcohol, but I found it interesting. Did you know ALCOHOL is the ONLY drug where death is listed as a side effect of withdrawal? It's true. Please do not misconstrue those words. It is a SIDE EFFECT OF WITHDRAWAL not use.
For the record, Lion Crazz, I dont believe I can agree with a single remark you have written.

reefer545

Rudedog. I hear ya. But you cant believe everything you see on HBO. Every hear of editing? At the same time, why do you think the congressmen ran away? They were already paid to not vote for marijuana. Lobbyists run the country not congressmen, and certainly not Bush. lol.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by rudedog40
...there were closed-minded people just like you ... in terms of what the two do to you physically and emotionally, then you are a hypocrite.
Umm, in one post you called me both closed minded and a hypocrite, yet I haven't stated my opinion at all on this thread.... Think ya got me confused with others who have posted here.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Umm, in one post you called me both closed minded and a hypocrite, yet I haven't stated my opinion at all on this thread.... Think ya got me confused with others who have posted here.

Whoa. Wait a minute. You've gone through an entire controversial post without stating your opinion?
Talk about the Four Horsemen...
Actually, you have commented several times on this thread. You've just done it in a manner where you've haven't given an official 'Yes' or 'No'. However, the statement I replied to, plus your critical response to Krista about her use, implies which side you are leaning towards...