more fragging fun

reefkprz

The photos and the fragging were done by WHO DEY.
here are the directions I gave him when he asked how to frag it.
pick a branch that has more than 2 inches of bare skeleton below the head. hold it by the branch and the main colony trying not to grip the tissue at all because this can bruise it and cause reccesion. then snap it off as Far from the head as possible, the flesh extends down inside the skeleton about an inch or more, so you want to nmake the break as far as possible from the head to prevent damaging the tissue inside the skeleton. I would make the break as clost to a branching intersection as possible (its usually the easiest place to snap it any how. if you have a fine toothed band saw or a dremel or tile saw you can use that to cut the skeleton usually works best. Do not use pliers or snips as it tends to crush the skeleton potentially damaging the tissue inside. some people reccomend snips for this I dont. sawing or snapping has yeilded the best results for me.
Here are two pictures the first is the colony that he snapped it off
the second is the frag, as you can see on the original colony the skeleton at the break is white with no tissue left behind indicating the break is far enough back from the head to not leave tissue behind.
Lets hear it for WHO DEY's first frogsapwn fraggin attempt, I deem the operation a success. Thanks for helping the thread on fragging WHO DEY!
once mine is ready to frag I will add pictures to show the intermidiate steps.

who dey

a few pics updating the recovery from my frogspawn after surgery. 1st pic 3 heads waiting patiently in an old turbo snail shell waiting to be transported by ambulance to my LFS for trade. 2nd pic... 1 head that will remain in the tank. Thanks again reefkrpz!!!
don't worry that meat coral is far away from the new frag, just an illusion

reefkprz

Thanks MichaelTX! YAY! my work is never done though I need to frag MORE! I just may have to frag my monti.....

jessi p

Reef two thumbs up for a very detailed, comprehensive thread. I am far away from doing any fragging, dont even have a single thing yet but I was fascinated to read your thread and the pics were indeed worth a thousand words.
Kudos!

renogaw

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
Thanks MichaelTX! YAY! my work is never done though I need to frag MORE! I just may have to frag my monti.....

come frag my GBTA...

reefkprz

ok was re arranging stuff and smashed the edge of my montipora with a rock breaking loose three decent size chunks and smearing more into useless goo. the goo since it was smeared on a rock already I just smeared in more with my finger, who knows maybe a little will seed and grow out (not counting on it though) I grabbed the chunks and like with almost everything that I make for frags Krazy glued it onto a piece of rubble, after drying both the rock and the back of the frag. I took a couple quick photos. keep in mind when gluing montiopora frags there is tissue on the bottom side, this tissue will some times dieoff releasing the frag, you want to try and glue the skeleton at the break so its not just flesh holding it in place.
the first picture shows the damage I did on the back you can see the V shaped notch where I hit it with the rock. (I'm so mad at myself right now
)
Attachment 165683
the second shows the pieces that broke free.
Attachment 165684
the third shows the pieces glued and back in the tank.
Attachment 165685
eventually I will show another less traumatizing method for fragging montipora capricornis. for now I am going to let them all recover.

renogaw

Ok here's a question for ya reefkprz...
I cut a branch off my kenya yesterday around 1pm. glued it to a piece of rock and it was FIRMLY in there. it even was opening last night. THis morning..... it was gone. completely, and the crazy glue gel even showed how it had formed around the kenya. where did it go lol? how did the crazyglue gel get unsticked?

reefkprz

the tree shed the cells the glue had a hold of because they died. try a rubberband or wedging between rocks. I never glue trees or leathers because the glue asphyxiates the flesh its adhered to and it just falls off. if you look really close at the glue I'll bet you can see a film on the glue if your CU crew hasnt eaten it off the glue yet.

renogaw

hmmm... i wonder if i'm going to have a stray kenya somewhere one of these days...rubber band wont squish it?

reefkprz

only if its too tight, you want it tight enough to hold it without squising the stalk flat. (I've cut through them with bands but its the most reliable method I have found.) you kinda get a feel for it after a couple attempts. you probably will find the tree later on if it lands in a spot with enough light.
here is a picture of the one I fragged earlier in this thread, the picture is from today. Its ready to remove the band I just havent yet.
Attachment 166325

kevin34

Awsome thread. Can you post pics of how to frag a mushroom? Not transfering one to a new rock but actually cutting it up.

reefkprz

yeah I can do that but its going to have to wait untill tommorrow, I'm exhasuted, I have been up since 2am and only got two hours of sleep last night. I'm probably going to go to bed in a little while because I have to get back Up at 11pm to go pick my girl up from work, then I have to be back up again by 2am, so I need to catch some sleep while I can. either check this thread tommorrow afternoon or wait untill you see me bump it by posting the pictures you've asked for. I could have it done as early as 10 or 11 am (EasternStandardTime). but I will definitely do that tommorrow for you,

jhuggins

I went home on my lunch decided to frag my big frogspawn. The problem is that some how my dremel kept breaking the disks. SO stupid me just broke it with my hand. The first one was fine, but the second split up the stalk and broke my biggest frogspawn in half
(plus it cut through the gloves and cut my hand) (not to bad). I am so mad at my self. When I left it was trying to come out. Did I kill it? Is there any chance it can live? right now it is spit in half. I just glued the two different peices to two different rocks.
Moral of story. Only frag when you have lots of time. (not on lunch break)
That is what happens when you are on saltwaterfish.com instead of working.

reefkprz

I have never split one up the middle before, so I cant honestly answer solidly but I can say that corals are amazingly tough, you may be suprised and end up with two. as long as you water conditions are Ideal and an infection doesnt set in to the damages flesh you may be ok. If you have a cleaner type shrimp it will help by removing necrotic tissue and lessen the chances of infection. I hope it works out for you. good luck. dont pull snails or anything off it they will only eat the dead flesh they wont eat the healthy parts.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Awsome thread. Can you post pics of how to frag a mushroom? Not transfering one to a new rock but actually cutting it up.
Sorry had to work on the car this morning, now I cant get in the tank because of grease. I will post the pictures you requested though.
Of course if any one else out there has pictures of cutting up shrooms for multiple frags off one head they are welcome to donate them to the thread. of course due credit will be given to any who contribute to this thread.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Yes please. I tried to do this the other day and the frags came unglued....
I found them and re-glued them...made sure they were as dry as could be before gluing. Next day...gone
. So i tied it down with thread from the wifes sewing kit..1 made it ,the other lost in space...