more fragging fun

reefkprz

Originally Posted by curryfishman
After you cut you corals do you rince them in your tank water in an bowl or just pure feshwater??
I rinse them in tank water, leathers and zoas that weep alot I let sit in the water for a few minutes, then I use a second container of tank water to do a final rinse before going back into the tank.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Doahh
Need to get rid of any of these?
My mailing address is
679............rd.
Loomis CA 95650

honestly you can probably buy them closer to you for less than it would cost to buy and ship them from me. plus almost every frag I ever make is spoken for long before I ever make it. I have local people that are on a waiting list for most of this stuff.
most of the frags of zoanthids are going to be donated to a highschool research project. if I can get enough ready for them.

reefkprz

depends on the type. you could probably get better deals online here than at your LFS. (thats probably how they buy theirs) the ones around here do or they buy from me, and other locals.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by salth2ofun
can anyone see my messages, just want to know what i am doing wrong
I can see them sometimes it takes a while to get replies. like for instance pretty soon I'm going out to dinner for my GF's birthday so any questions anyone asks me will have to wait untill next time I log on.

michaud65

Are you planning on fragging to sell? If so, we should exchange e-mail. I am in need of some corals and it would give me an excuse to go to Bangor

grubsnaek

awsome stuff. it was exactly what i asked too. now with palys i guess you cut down near the base? is this right.
the thread should go strong for a while, for people like me that doesnt have a lot of helpers, your pics are like your next to me showing. thats what alot of this hobby is to me, seeing and doing. sometimes its hard to translate words into actions.
so think of it as this. i dont know you and your doing alot for me just showing them. so please even if the thread cools for a little, wait a little and repost some more cause i will follow this.
thank you
brian.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
awsome stuff. it was exactly what i asked too. now with palys i guess you cut down near the base? is this right..
just like zoanthid you cut the connecting tissues between the heads, and lift and peel the mat back to the cut. I find a butterknife works great for the lifting.
Originally Posted by grubsnaek

the thread should go strong for a while, for people like me that doesnt have a lot of helpers, your pics are like your next to me showing. thats what alot of this hobby is to me, seeing and doing. sometimes its hard to translate words into actions.
so think of it as this. i dont know you and your doing alot for me just showing them. so please even if the thread cools for a little, wait a little and repost some more cause i will follow this.
thank you
brian.
Thank you, for your words of encouragement it means a great deal to me that people are benefiting from this. that is why I started these threads because a picture really is worth a thousand words. they help line action with whats said and give a better Idea. I'm glad it helps you and any others whether they post questions or just read whats here.
having people ask helps a lot too because without know what needs answering I may overlook a detail that i just don't realize is important, but can help in demystifying the art of fragging.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Michaud65
Are you planning on fragging to sell? If so, we should exchange e-mail. I am in need of some corals and it would give me an excuse to go to Bangor
some I'm fragging for sale some I'm fragging for donation to a highschool research program. I'm always fragging for trades. I almost always sell locally. if your willing to pick it up, Let me know what you want that I have and I'll put you on my list, some things may have a longer waiting period than others.

grubsnaek

no doubt, listen honestly everyone needs a pat on the back every now and again. and coming from someone you never met before is that much more gratifiing. i know that. but seriously thanx. im glad you got the right look on that when reading it cause thats what i was going for.

michaud65

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
some I'm fragging for sale some I'm fragging for donation to a highschool research program. I'm always fragging for trades. I almost always sell locally. if your willing to pick it up, Let me know what you want that I have and I'll put you on my list, some things may have a longer waiting period than others.

Thanks, thats great. I actually don't have any corals so if you could even put together a coral frag pack, that would be cool! Picking them up is not a problem! How can I contact you?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Michaud65
Thanks, thats great. I actually don't have any corals so if you could even put together a coral frag pack, that would be cool! Picking them up is not a problem! How can I contact you?
I check my e-mail infrequently so if you send me an e-mail do it well in advance of expecting a response. if you head down this way please send me an e-mail in advance if you want to check out my zoo. I love having guests. And anyone is welcome anytime if they are in the neighborhood.

pettyhoe

How do you frag a ricordia? Or mushroom? I have a beautiful ricordia rock with about 34 polyps on it, but some don't see the light, and I could make my money back from buying the thing if I just sell them back.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by PettyHoe
How do you frag a ricordia? Or mushroom? I have a beautiful ricordia rock with about 34 polyps on it, but some don't see the light, and I could make my money back from buying the thing if I just sell them back.
see post #37 on page one, that post shows how to frag a mushroom, a ricordea is the same.

viper_930

I took these pics a couple weeks ago but just remembered about posting them. ***)
These are a series of pics I took of fragging an encrusting monti and a monti cap using a dremel with a diamond cutting wheel.
First up, the infamous superman monti "danae". As you can see in the first pic the monti just grows over the edge of the rock.

I simply just cut off the little sliver and chop it up into a few smaller frags ready to be mounted.

And mama back in the tank..

viper_930

Next up my Leng Sy cap:

Using the dremel I score the part of the coral that I want to frag off.

Then I just snap off the edge with my hands and into smaller frags.

And that's it. Nothing much really to it!