mushroom in a blender, I'm going to prove or disprove it

reefkprz

no specific brand, it depends on what the store carries, all I make sure is that they are 100% latex and powder free. you can use vinyl gloves too but I dont like the fact that they dont fit skin tight so its harder to work with little frags. powder free is the key IMO.

gmford1979

Originally Posted by feelingfishy
I think this is the most interesting post in swf.com!!!

i have to agree. i have a spare 10 gallon and 25 gallon. i am thinking of doing something like this. i have some huge shrooms that i need to frag. one or two may end up as a cocktail.

emm0909

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
one of these days I am going to strap an M-80 to this camera and blow it to the moon.
Next experiment - Strap an M-80 to a mushroom and see how many frags that makes?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by gmford1979
i have to agree. i have a spare 10 gallon and 25 gallon. i am thinking of doing something like this. i have some huge shrooms that i need to frag. one or two may end up as a cocktail.
that would be great! have another seperate expiriment doing the same thing for corroberating input.
If I had a

[hr]
tank to start out with I would put only 3/4" LS in the 10g then lights and a powerfilter with a sponge over the intake thats it, no LR as there wouldnt be ANY bioload excepty the shrooms and a super miniscule cleaner crew (strombus snails only)

isistius

reef-
you have waaaaaaay too much free time on your hands

no wait, maybe that's coral slime clouding your judgement of time

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Isistius
reef-
you have waaaaaaay too much free time on your hands
you say the sweetest things, sweet nothings in my ear.....

I think I overthink everything, I'll lay awake some nights plotting what I'm going to do next, or daydreaming my ultimate tank. I know one thing I hate the aquascaping in my tank with all the extra rock I have to offload some of it somewhere. I'm hoping to sell it locally because its not pretty, but its viable. couple months though and it should start showign some coraline growth..... I have a HUGE show rock I need to sell but its not shippable its a 25lb rock with corals on it. I want it out of my tank its eating up too much room.

ric maniac

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
that would be great! have another seperate expiriment doing the same thing for corroberating input.
If I had a

[hr]
tank to start out with I would put only 3/4" LS in the 10g then lights and a powerfilter with a sponge over the intake thats it, no LR as there wouldnt be ANY bioload excepty the shrooms and a super miniscule cleaner crew (strombus snails only)
hmmm i have a 5g that has exactly 3/4" of ls and a little piece fo lr with no cuc yet...i might have to try this.

mike22cha

I got a 10g. All I need is ls, sw, powerhead, heater, sponge filter, and lights. I think I got most of what I need.
Well I also got a 20g tall with a hob filter, maybe 5lbs of ls, heater and powerhead.
Reefkprz, just direct me and I'll set up your mini mushroom tank. I need lights, but that won't be too expensive. Seriously give me some directions and I'll do it. I got 2 mushroom umbrellas, and when I get back monday my mom says she has a lot of odd jobs stacked up for me so I'll be able to get some money for all of the stuff.

deltablack22

Hey RZ, thanks for the advice on the red shrooms I asked about earlier. The stem has healed over now and all four of the cap pieces have balled up and have doubled in size. I was nervous at first with it being my only one and it was only about the size of a half dollar. Here are some pics of my attempt at retaining the frags... It worked very well. I've seen you post similar pics and I think I understood correctly that you placed them in a container with sand but was unsure if you added the container to the tank or not. I just put it back in the display to maintain temp and flow.
Not trying to clog up this thread again but if you wont post pics - I will.
I just wanted to thank you and give you an update on how things turned out...
(these were taken right after I cut up the shroom)

mike22cha

I'm serious ReefkprZ, give me instructions and I'll do it. The 20g has been running since december and the only thing in it long term wise was a dwarf octopus. I did use it for QT once.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
I'm serious ReefkprZ, give me instructions and I'll do it. The 20g has been running since december and the only thing in it long term wise was a dwarf octopus. I did use it for QT once.
Ok, no problem, here is how I would do it.
3/4 inch live sand (or less) enough to keep the shrooms from sticking to the glass and enough so the current doesnt bare the bottom of the tank.
aqua clear 30 HOB filter placed on the back wall centered, take out everything, save the foam cut the foam into a cube just big enough to cover the intake guard, cut a hole in it so it will slide over the guard preventing even the smallest shroom frags from getting sucked in. if they end up growing on the sponge thats fine you can cut them off later. you want as little sponge as possible so as not to impede flow or trap detritus but enough to stop pieces from going through the filter, fill the filter with LR rubble. set to its lowest setting while running
one 110GPH powerhead or smaller placed high up blowing accross the top for good oxygen exchange letting the bottom have very low flow so the pieces dont blow around too much.
for light I would go witrh 2 PC 65watt bulbs 10k and actinic.
Cycle as per usual. once cycled add a SMALL cleanup crew, I reccomend strombus snails, or a coupke turbos no sand burrowers as they could vvery easily bury your frags.then puree mushrooms and add to tank.

mike22cha

I think I got two inches of sand, will that be a problem? Only thing I need is lighting, and I will move the rocks to my upcoming 55g tank. I guess I could add some sand to the 55g too. My lights are 22" and all they have is 20" or 24". Will 20" be ok? I think it will be cheaper. I'll get 5 turbos for it. You got any mushrooms to sell for cheap?

reefkprz

I would remove some of the sand so your not trapping anything because you cant have a sand maintinence crew, it'll be easier to keep it healthy with less depth, once you see where your frag particles are you can turn the sand in between them with your finger to keep everything aerobic and stirred.
20 inch lights would be fine.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
You got any mushrooms to sell for cheap?
yeah I do, whats your zip code? I'll look into shipping them and get back to you. I could do some reds and greenstriped(watermelon)

reefkprz

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
Hey RZ, thanks for the advice on the red shrooms I asked about earlier. The stem has healed over now and all four of the cap pieces have balled up and have doubled in size. I was nervous at first with it being my only one and it was only about the size of a half dollar. Here are some pics of my attempt at retaining the frags... It worked very well. I've seen you post similar pics and I think I understood correctly that you placed them in a container with sand but was unsure if you added the container to the tank or not. I just put it back in the display to maintain temp and flow.
Not trying to clog up this thread again but if you wont post pics - I will.
I just wanted to thank you and give you an update on how things turned out...
(these were taken right after I cut up the shroom)

Perfect! great job!

I guess I should have explained better about the shallow container, yeah they go into a low flow area untill the pieces recover and attach. but you got it handled. Keep us updated.

mike22cha

73020, but I'll just use my umbrella for starters. Then if that is going good I'll be more interested, and hopefully have some more money. Monday when I get back I'll move the sand and lr to the upcoming 55g, which I'll be getting from BabyB. Then Tuesday or Thursday I'll go to the lfs and get some more water and a small clean up crew.