mushroom in a blender, I'm going to prove or disprove it

reefkprz

it would be aroun 20-25 bucks for shipping+ the cost of the shrooms. you could probably get more for your money by buying locally.

mike22cha

Or would T-5's be ok? It comes with 1-20w 10000k 1-20w 460 nm actinic, and it's 70$ oppossed to the pc's which are 107$.

isistius

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Or would T-5's be ok? It comes with 1-20w 10000k 1-20w 460 nm actinic, and it's 70$ oppossed to the pc's which are 107$.
you will probably get more out of the t-5s. especially if they have individual reflectors!

mike22cha

I think I'll do the T-5's unless anyone has a problem with them and corals, because they are cheaper and I don't got a lot of cash. Just got back and will start moving things around in the 20g later today after I get some sleep.

reefkprz

OH I almost forgot, an update on the pieces, well sveral have moved around so I can only fid couple but the ones I see are definatly showing good recovery. one piece is showing signs of growing a new mouth, the rest are definatly curling to attach to themselves. I keep trying to find more but I think my powerfilter filtered out a lot of the pieces, I didnt cover the intake.

reefkprz

depends on the shroom, lighting and other parameters, they tend to grow fastest under medium light with low but detectable nitrates. weird I know but they seem to thrive in "dirty" water.

mike22cha

Today I'm going to the lfs and picking up some turbos. I can't empty the rock and some sand because I haven't heard from BabyB. I'll start a tank diary of the project as soon as I get the camera. My mom is going to get a cheap digital for her place so I can take pics of the whole project.

hefner413

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I agree the t-5s are better than PC IMO.
Also, T5 bulbs claim to last much longer from what I've been told. Thats why I went with T5. They might be more $$ at first, but the bulbs add up over time, so the less bulbs you have to buy, the cheaper they really are...

isistius

Originally Posted by Hefner413
Also, T5 bulbs claim to last much longer from what I've been told. Thats why I went with T5. They might be more $$ at first, but the bulbs add up over time, so the less bulbs you have to buy, the cheaper they really are...

it's my understanding that t-5's will last 18-24 months as opposed to 10-12 like pc's

reefkprz

well if they leave their heads out enough when you remove them from the tank just cut the heads off the bases will regrow new heads. or you can break up the rock with a hammer and apopropriate chisel (cold chisel, screwdriver etcetera) then cut them off the rock. you really dont want to blend rock it does serious damage to the blades, Trust me.

mike22cha

So leave some of the base and cut off as much as you can with a razor correct? Sorry I'm new to the fragging thing, do I remove it in a contaner of water or what?

reefkprz

pull the rock right out of the tank you dont have to try and work on it underwater shrooms are tough suckers. just cut it off as close to the base as you can. but since your going to blend it it doesnt really matter. get as much tissue as you want to blend.

mike22cha

Alright, I'll order the lighting equipement and other things later this week. I got water to add to the 20 and I'll bring the camera to post pics of the tank project. I haven't been abole to reach BabyB so I don't know if I'm getting the 55g in which the rock and some sand will be going into.

reefkprz

AlRIGHT! post your pics right here on this thread if you want.
I wonder....
Is there anyone else that has the spare equipment to set up another version of this shroom in a blender unortodox expiriment? I'm, limiting who can participate to..... whoever wants to. I'm sorry to bhe so stringent on the rules but rules are rules.
I think this thread could benifit (aka be more lively if we had several members partuicipating and posting their results.)
Anyone?