NEED TO VENT part TWO

socal57che

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3215180
I have the marine fishes book.....It's a great book to have, but does not offer "personal" experiences
I like the "personal" side to all this too
I agree. I was not trying to downplay the invaluable experience that the veterans (yes Joe, I mean you) have to offer, but rather let people know that a shelf full of reference material and fundamental reefkeeping information cannot be replaced with people giving advice on a forum...and vice versa. They complement one another, not replace one another.
I'm all for the "it was lost in Joe's nuked thread" line!

mastertech

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3215277
well that makes you one up on me. Now if you explain to me why you told a hobbyist to use water from his DT when setting up a QT tank I will have learned something from you and we will be even*
because it is in one of the "sticky" threads that you are so adamantly preaching about.

florida joe

Originally Posted by mastertech
http:///forum/post/3215476
because it is in one of the "sticky" threads that you are so adamantly preaching about.
So as an educated hobbyist you should have an opinion on this. Are you in agreement with this practice.
BTW do you think feeling adamant about hobbyists reading the sticky's is a good thing or do you think it is a waist of time.
If you get a chance I would like to hear your educated thoughts on my new thread

mastertech

http:///forum/post/3215606
So as an educated hobbyist you should have an opinion on this. Are you in agreement with this practice.
BTW do you think feeling adamant about hobbyists reading the sticky's is a good thing or do you think it is a waist of time. well i agree that it is good practice to educate oneself as much a possible by reading as much information as time and energy permits
If you get a chance I would like to hear your educated thoughts on my new thread
i also agree that there is a lot of time and energy wasted as well as a lot of clutter from redundant thread to which i regret to say i have possibly contributed to. with that said this forum could be much more profitable if people were not lazy and apathetic concerning the responsibilities they have regarding this hobby and posting such redundant questions time and time again. so much so that it has caused enough frustration that this thread was started. i an very certain that you "joe" have been one of the more knowledgeable and helpful participants in this forum i would just hate to think that you allow the frustration that will certainly come with the masses that participate in this forum to effect your personal metal health.
here is the quote from beth concerning using DT water to set up and "emergency, unestablished" QT or HT. i agree a great deal with this post and have used it personally.
good thought beth and thanks for all the information you have provided concerning this hobby and the well being and prevention of heath problems our aquarium may face.
Originally Posted by beth

I suggest that you can use change out water from your main tank [which is aged and has bacteria] rather than using freshly mixed water. The fresh mix can go as change out water into the main tank. In this scenario, there is a benefit to performing hyposalinity regardless of parasite. The mass change out of salt water for fresh water needed to do hypo will be a significant diluting process if you are dealing with a new tank that does not have an established biological filter.

meowzer

When I had to QT my seahorse...immediately...I was told to use water fromthe DT
I think it is probably only advised though in an emergency situation

florida joe

First thank you for your concern over my mental health. I am still not clear on where you stand as far as being adamant about having hobbyists read the stickys. I would like to know your personal feeling on using DT water in a QT setup.
New we come to the term setting up and an emergence set up. The thread i was referring to involved a NON emergency setup. The only reason I can see for using DT water is if you must transfer a fish from your DT to a HT immediately. This would eliminate any down time to acclimate the fish going form your DT to you HT and you can start treatment immediately.
Now as far as the bacteria gain mentioned I have never seen any published info stating that bacteria present in the water column if any and transfer to a QT/HT benefits the setup.
This of course does not mean that it is not so. I would love to further my knowledge by reading such info if it excises as well as it out weighing the risk of cross contamination

florida joe

Originally Posted by mastertech
http:///forum/post/3215684
i also agree that there is a lot of time and energy wasted as well as a lot of clutter from redundant thread to which i regret to say i have possibly contributed to. with that said this forum could be much more profitable if people were not lazy and apathetic concerning the responsibilities they have regarding this hobby and posting such redundant questions time and time again. so much so that it has caused enough frustration that this thread was started. i an very certain that you "joe" have been one of the more knowledgeable and helpful participants in this forum i would just hate to think that you allow the frustration that will certainly come with the masses that participate in this forum to effect your personal metal health.
here is the quote from beth concerning using DT water to set up and "emergency, unestablished" QT or HT. i agree a great deal with this post and have used it personally.
good thought beth and thanks for all the information you have provided concerning this hobby and the well being and prevention of heath problems our aquarium may face.
First thank you for your concern over my mental health. I am still not clear on where you stand as far as being adamant about having hobbyists read the stickys. I would like to know your personal feeling on using DT water in a QT setup.
New we come to the term setting up and an emergence set up. The thread i was referring to involved a NON emergency setup. The only reason I can see for using DT water is if you must transfer a fish from your DT to a HT immediately. This would eliminate any down time to acclimate the fish going form your DT to you HT and you can start treatment immediately.
Now as far as the bacteria gain mentioned I have never seen any published info stating that bacteria present in the water column if any and transfer to a QT/HT benefits the setup.
This of course does not mean that it is not so. I would love to further my knowledge by reading such info if it excises as well as it out weighing the risk of cross contamination

bang guy

Personally, I use DT water for by QT tanks. It has nothing to do with bacteria. I doubt there are enough bacteria in the water to make any difference.
I'm just a cheap bas**rd. I can do continuous 50% water changes on the QT while accomplishing small water changes on the DT. When the fish are declared disease free I can just pop them into the DT with one less thing to stress them because it's the same water they've been living in for a few weeks anyway.

mastertech

-
http:///forum/post/3215699
First thank you for your concern over my mental health. I am still not clear on where you stand as far as being adamant about having hobbyists read the stickys. I would like to know your personal feeling on using DT water in a QT setup.i stand with you on the statement you made concerning everyone should read
the sticky before posting any questions that were not made clear or topics that may have been overlooked in the sticky
New we come to the term setting up and an emergence set up. The thread i was referring to involved a NON emergency setup. The only reason I can see for using DT water is if you must transfer a fish from your DT to a HT immediately. This would eliminate any down time to acclimate the fish going form your DT to you HT and you can start treatment immediately. i agree again with you that using DT water is only necessary for "emergency"
setups but on that statement i will also fallow "bang" in the idea that it will accomplish profitable water changes in the DT and provide aged saltwater for the QT or HT, but just as you said cross contamination should be at the forefront of your thoughts when performing such a procedure
Now as far as the bacteria gain mentioned I have never seen any published info stating that bacteria present in the water column if any and transfer to a QT/HT benefits the setup
This of course does not mean that it is not so. I would love to further my knowledge by reading such info if it excises as well as it out weighing the risk of cross contamination .i have no idea concerning the topic of bacteria suspended in the water column. i also would like to further my knowledge in this subject

browniebuck

there is venting, and then there is being downright confrontational. MOST of the people that post on this message board are not experts. MOST of the people on this message board are on these message boards because they want to help others learn from their experiences. MOST of the people on this message board are here ask questions of people that have been in similar situations. MOST of the people on this message board genuinely want to learn about this hobby so that they can have more success keeping the animals that they choose for their given systems.
I know that when I first started out...I was guilty of being one of the people that was looking for the answer that I wanted to hear. I know that there were people looking out not only for me but also the animals that I was purchasing, but I didn't listen. After losing many fish and many dollars...I learned my lesson. Am I an expert now? No. Do I still make mistagkes? Yes. However, if I know the answer to a question, I will do my best to help others so that they don't make the same mistakes that I did. I think that I have gotten belligerent on these message boards perhaps twice since I began posting in 2007. I found out quickly that it doesn't help anything.

florida joe

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3215871
there is venting, and then there is being downright confrontational. MOST of the people that post on this message board are not experts. MOST of the people on this message board are on these message boards because they want to help others learn from their experiences. MOST of the people on this message board are here ask questions of people that have been in similar situations. MOST of the people on this message board genuinely want to learn about this hobby so that they can have more success keeping the animals that they choose for their given systems.
I know that when I first started out...I was guilty of being one of the people that was looking for the answer that I wanted to hear. I know that there were people looking out not only for me but also the animals that I was purchasing, but I didn't listen. After losing many fish and many dollars...I learned my lesson. Am I an expert now? No. Do I still make mistagkes? Yes. However, if I know the answer to a question, I will do my best to help others so that they don't make the same mistakes that I did. I think that I have gotten belligerent on these message boards perhaps twice since I began posting in 2007. I found out quickly that it doesn't help anything.
so are you venting or being confrontational and what does this post have to do with my wanting people to research before getting into the hobby which if you read was the point of the thread

browniebuck

While I know that it is frustrating to see people make mistakes, you have to realize that not everyone will research before starting a new hobby. I know that I am guilty of not researching when I first began. You live, you learn.

florida joe

http:///forum/post/3215880
While I know that it is frustrating to see people make mistakes, you have to realize that not everyone will research before starting a new hobby. I know that I am guilty of not researching when I first began. You live, you learn.
excellent point

socal57che

http:///forum/post/3215871
Do I still make mistagkes?
I certainly don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but the typographical error regarding the word mistakes is bloody brilliant! I love it!

Joe, I often worry about your mental health, too. You're a freak and I LOVE it! Don't ever change, my man.
Browniebuck...has it occured to you that Joe started this thread to allow people to read it and affect how they treat the hobby? IMO, he has a way of making people ask themselves
the question, thus forcing them to come up with a solution on their own. This way they actually learn it...retain it.
Hundreds of people will read this thread and see a frustrated veteran reefer. Some will take it upon themselves to go the extra mile, slow down a little, research a little more before making purchases...things like that. He will influence people that would never post on the board by bringing their attention to the importance of doing the research. The little spats are just to keep the reader's attention...and bump the thread.

The first step to solving a problem is realizing that there is, in fact, a problem. Joe is telling the world "do your homework" and reaching more people than telling each individual person in individual threads.
I think he's borderline genius...
...or I could be completely wrong and Joe has fallen off the deep end.

mastertech

concerning metal health.... everyone please take this as advise and a little comedic relief. there is a little saying i was once told. if you find yourself in a conversation with someone whom didn't read the stickys and is obviously apathetic concerning the hobby remember this...
"do not argue with any idiot, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

florida joe

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3215915
I certainly don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but the typographical error regarding the word mistakes is bloody brilliant! I love it!

Joe, I often worry about your mental health, too. You're a freak and I LOVE it! Don't ever change, my man.
Browniebuck...has it occured to you that Joe started this thread to allow people to read it and affect how they treat the hobby? IMO, he has a way of making people ask themselves
the question, thus forcing them to come up with a solution on their own. This way they actually learn it...retain it.
Hundreds of people will read this thread and see a frustrated veteran reefer. Some will take it upon themselves to go the extra mile, slow down a little, research a little more before making purchases...things like that. He will influence people that would never post on the board by bringing their attention to the importance of doing the research. The little spats are just to keep the reader's attention...and bump the thread.

The first step to solving a problem is realizing that there is, in fact, a problem. Joe is telling the world "do your homework" and reaching more people than telling each individual person in individual threads.
...or I could be completely wrong and Joe has fallen off the deep end.

First let me say the check for this years PR work is in the mail, thanks in advance
a frustrated veteran reefer.
So true a product of the 60s
...or I could be completely wrong and Joe has fallen off the deep end
Brilliant______________________Insane
That would be the thin line between the two!!!
) Joe : Did they say why, Joe : why they want to terminate my membership
Mods: I was sent on a classified mission, Joe
Joe: It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you? Mods: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Joe: Are my methods unsound?
Mods: I don't see any method at all, sir.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3215915
Joe started this thread to allow people to read it and affect how they treat the hobby? IMO, he has a way of making people ask themselves

Joe, your secret is out, somebody else caught on . . . I seem to remember this particular topic of discussion coming up a few years ago . . . can't remember the thread though . . . old age I guess

FYI, if you're interested in suggested books, you might check this thread;
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...d.php?t=323229
hhhhmmm, wasn't part of this about redundent threads?
perhaps there is some value to them after all . . .