New 28G Nano Cube for Horses :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/420#post_3375613
Flower....don't ever apologize for asking a question....LOL
The one with the wood stone things in the one I am using in my cube, it was $39 and works fine so far
The Aquaticlife Mini115 is the one Henry recommended ...HAS NO STONES....was $59.99...and so far is working great......I have this in my 29G (rectangle)...SO you need NO extra parts....ever

Well we could afford the 115, BUT...the size is 10.5 for height and it says it needs to have 3.5 clearence over the top. If I understand that right it should submerge only 7 inches..my sump water line is 11 inches.....So my sump is too deep for it. Or did I misunderstand something? I'm not very good at this stuff, but I think it's too small. What could be done to raise it by 4 inches????

meowzer

OH and I feel like a complete IDIOT
....my mind has been on other things YES, BUT....I have not checked my TDS in a long time.....IT WAS 39
...SO filters are now changed
and w/c's are gonna be done this weekend....for ALL tanks I guess

meowzer

OK...First pic is from the front of the tank....see...it only goes down a little bit
second pic shows it from the side.....the cup is not that large, and the suction cup holder keeps it in place....It also had one you can hang it on the rim of the tank with, BUT that wwouldn't work for me cause of my lights

flower

How long have you had it? Can you adjust it to not skim so wet? My tank is 30g but I also have a 20g sump, do you think it can handle it? It's a 30g tank under it for a sump but it isn't totally full (a little over half full) so I'm going with a 20g best guess

meowzer

IDK about the size Flower.....PM Henry.....he has a VERY VERY stocked cube...and feeds very heavily....
also about the adjusting....IDK that either.....To tell you the thruth I have not messed with it too much...I just don't feel like it....LOL..that is almost 3 days worth....the cup is not very big either
had it a month or so

flower

So it's too small .....with my sump I have a 50g water volume....Could I say it's better than having nothing and use it or it won't do at all for my tank.....I have a refugium, a canister filter running and the sump. Will this little skimmer help at least enough to be able to keep the SH tank going for say 7 months?

spanko

This skimmer will pull a lot out of your tank.
With all of the filtration you already have I am not sure why you want to have this too. A good refugium with a good amount of fast growing macro algae that is harvested regularly along with the canister should be good for your tank IMO.
That said this skimmer again will help with the water quality but will take out DOC's that would otherwise be used by the algae in the fuge so it is really your call.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/440#post_3375662
This skimmer will pull a lot out of your tank.
With all of the filtration you already have I am not sure why you want to have this too. A good refugium with a good amount of fast growing macro algae that is harvested regularly along with the canister should be good for your tank IMO.
That said this skimmer again will help with the water quality but will take out DOC's that would otherwise be used by the algae in the fuge so it is really your call.

Thanks Spanko, I have no macroalgae yet. I want red macro..I read that you can't mix them. Green algaes or red or brown and there are lots to choose from in each family. I want red so I was waiting for it to be back in stock. The macro site I found said in April, so soon...very soon, I check every day..

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/440#post_3375647
OH and I feel like a complete IDIOT
....my mind has been on other things YES, BUT....I have not checked my TDS in a long time.....IT WAS 39
...SO filters are now changed
and w/c's are gonna be done this weekend....for ALL tanks I guess
I wonder if this explains the blotchy patch's of cyano popping up in the 29G, NOT going away in the 225G.....and the never ending diatoms in the 28G
No negative effects on the 54G though.....HMMMMM

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383946/new-28g-nano-cube-for-horses/440#post_3375668
are you saying not to mix different colors of plants? Where did you hear that?
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234487&hl=planted+tanks

I read that macroalgae have wars worse than corals. To only have one type (yes color) I don't remember where now, it's been a year. I have to light the Sabbath candles...I will look at the link you posted in a bit.
I did order that little skimmer.

teresaq

Flower, just so you know, I didnt run a skimmer on my horse tank for a few yrs, It was fine. Just made sure the tank was clean.
I dont know where you got you could only have one type of micro, I have several, and I just love this macro tank. I stole kevins pics from shs

T