Nike's 34g DSA Neo-Nano

nikesb

picked up a huge chalice colony today

just kidding. i was visting the dallas world aquarium and took this photo. after processing it from raw, i realized there was red flatworms all over it!

T

tracher

i love your tank! probly one of the best ones here!!! post more pics :)

dragnflyjunk

Love your pics!
am contemplating getting this tank myself!
Few questions:
1. You say there's salt creep at the waterfall, but given that it's an open tank, is there salt creep around the perimeter of the tank? ie. I may put the tank next to the couch... will I see salt creep on my couch?
2. Have any shots of your sump? Did you incorporate a fuge?
3. Is your light 150w or 250w? With the evaporation, how often do you have to top off? Did you incorporate auto top off or do you just top off manually every X days?
Following this thread closely

nikesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnflyjunk http:///forum/thread/373846/nike-s-34g-dsa-neo-nano/280#post_3322650
Love your pics!
am contemplating getting this tank myself!
Few questions:
1. You say there's salt creep at the waterfall, but given that it's an open tank, is there salt creep around the perimeter of the tank? ie. I may put the tank next to the couch... will I see salt creep on my couch?
2. Have any shots of your sump? Did you incorporate a fuge?
3. Is your light 150w or 250w? With the evaporation, how often do you have to top off? Did you incorporate auto top off or do you just top off manually every X days?
Following this thread closely

Thanks
1) theres salt creep like you see on normal tanks, i just use a razor blade for the line that builds up at the surface of the water. if your water fall starts slowing down due to a clogged pump, it can build some salt creep at the cascade. you shouldnt get any salt creep on your couch. i did a review of this tank on captive aquatics and can send you a link if you want
2) I just installed a new sump (22 x 17 x 17) and added a refugium for now. I will eventually remove the refugium and just run a large skimmer.
3) my light is 6x24w t5-ho. you can run a 250w mh on here but just have to hang it at least 18" above the tank. I wouldn't mind switching to a 250w radium any day. I was manually topping off 4 times a day during the summer (about a gallon a day split up into 4 times). Now that i'm back in school, i purchased a tunze osmolator to do my top off
Heres a pic of the new sump

i will try to keep up with this thread more. hope to bring you guys more pictures!

dragnflyjunk

Thanks for the info!
Yeah a link to your review would be great.
Followup questions:
- 150w MH ok for this tank? How many inches from water should it be to be effective?
- So you don't recommend snails as they will climb up the tank or perhaps even the overflow? Pics aren't clear enough, but is there anything to 'block' the overflow to prevent other animals like snails from falling in? is there a similar blockage for the waterfall to prevent snails from falling in?

nikesb

you shouldnt have a problem with snails as long as theyre not nerites. nerites climb out no matter what tank.
they do include a foam block for the overflows but i just used 90 deg elbows and put pond netting over them. i did the same with the overflow

dragnflyjunk

Awesome!
I think I'm close to deciding this is the tank I want...
I'm thinking of getting a custom shelf for a bigger sump/fuge to power the neo nano as well as a small 10g for jellyfish =)
I had the 10g for jellyfish before but was not too successful as I now realize that it does need better water quality than a 10g without a sump/fuge can offer.
Still toying with the fact if I should go back to jellies though... If not, I'll just use the 10g for FOWLR for fish that might otherwise jump out of a shallow tank like the neo.
Looking forward to any updates on this thread!

nikesb

sorry man, been really busy with school. was able to take some pics today but theyre going on a blog. heres a pic of the a clam i just purchased last week. looks like hes happy :]

nissan577

and your sps grows? reason i ask is cause im thinking of getting a 4'x2' and 10" high and its all sps with a few lps. and im thinking if haning them 10 inches high my 8 bulb t5 set will be fine.

nikesb

Yes i know, but im talking about the ATI fixture. I upgraded to a 6x24w ATI Sunpower if you missed it. This thing bleached alot of corals after putting it on and having at 12" for 3 hours. Havent be able to test the PAR on it yet, but I believe it to be about 500 PAR on my sand bed in the middle of my tank.