Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

S

siptang

Wanna do a acro frag trade? Lol I will frag you a good piece for yours ;)
Once again, great pics buddy.

novahobbies

Tonight's chemistry:
pH: 7.8
KH is between 9&10 dKh (so between 150 and 166ppm)
Calcium is 460
Phosphate is <.25 (almost unreadable on API)
Nitrate is <5, and probably very close to 0.
I didn't bother to titrate the Mag tonight. Last test put me at 1680, when I stopped adding Kent Tech-M. That was just a couple days ago.
I'm having a problem with my Goniopora. Hopefully it's just bleached. I moved it down farther tonight to see if that will help at all. Everything else is in pretty good shape. Sticks are growing!

S

siptang

Heh heh heh. Enjoy the corals buddy. I can't wait to see them in your tank.

S

siptang

Dude that milli is CB fun dip millipora. We got a steal on that purchase!!

novahobbies

Wow, what a busy weekend. Spent some time with old HS friends up in Palm Bay, got to talk tank with them as well (I started them on a 55g tank some few years ago, and they're still going strong!) plus I got a 15% WC done on the 110g tank and a 50% WC done on the horse tank.
There are still coral acquisitions that need to be placed, but I just ran out of epoxy today. Hopefully will be able to get some and wrap up the final placements tonight.
There are a few things I need to deal with. I need to pick up some chaeto, since right now my system is running with neither biopellets or algal filter. I've noticed some green hair/turf algae growing in all the usual places you'd expect...on the RR overflow, on the sump baffles, etc. I need to get some Chaeto soon, or else get off my butt and build that turf scrubber.

S

siptang

I will bring some over to the meeting tomorrow. Please remind me tomorrow early afternoon.

rlablan

Hah! Turf scrubber.... I gave up on mine after a week or two of frustration. I ripped it out and installed a reactor for media.
You are the wiz. You need to post a tutorial...

novahobbies

Well I ordered my magnets for the turf scrubber today. It's going to be an in-sump up-flow scrubber. My only bummer thought (and I know this sounds silly) is that with the scrubber in place, I won't be able to look into my fuge very well. I like looking at all the little critters creeping around down there. I have a couple MASSIVE stomatella snails in there with shells bigger than my thumbnail.
I'm going to use these little 1x0.25x0.25" rare earth magnets epoxied to the inside of the acrylic frame. I have the acrylic, so I just need to cut it to shape. And of course I need to build my LED array for it. One thing at a time.

sweatervest13

That sounds super cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I have had my scrubber offline for a couple of months now, and my system kinda misses it. I may look into an upflow design if yours works out well.

novahobbies

Some new pics...
FTS as of yesterday...

The Frogspawn is getting bigger. This has 7-8 heads on it now:

I love this piece, but it seems that it's destined to be auto-fragged EVERY time I do tank maintenance of any sort. I'm forever breaking little bits off of it. Grr. Good thing it grows fast.

New Blasto frag. Pretty!

Growing well I'd say....

And a new small Frog frag with green tentacles and purple tips:

FInally, my Acan. As I feared, I'm seeing tissue recession along the bottom. JUST like the last Acan I kept. I've stopped the Mag treatment, but should I frag this bare bit off??

S

siptang

Wow, look at those growth!!! minus that acan... (sorry about that one.. such a nice piece too... that's the one we got from aly right?)
Looking forward to see you guys tomorrow. :)

sweatervest13

Great pics. Everything is looking very nice. Your SPS look like they are happy.
What kind of success rate are you having with SPS and your lights? I switched to LEDs in January and have had some, but not great success.