Ordered new corals

monsinour

Giving a new website a try as it came recomended from a different forum. We will be getting the following corals:
"rainbow ricordia"

Mixed Zoos

And the Duncans

I will post pics once they come in and are placed into the tank.

monsinour

carp, i cant find it in my temp files and i cannot locate it on the website. They were blue, very blue. I will email them and see if I can get them to email me a pic of them.

gemmy

Those will be some great new additions. Duncans can grow like crazy. My duncan has sprouted 3 heads in a short period of time.

monsinour

Got the email today that they will be shipping them out on tuesday next week. I will be sure to take pics of the entire unwrapping/acclimating/placement procedure on wednesday. I also asked if they could send me a pic of the zoos.

J

jstdv8

I love hand feeding my duncans. good times.
Gotta feed the cleaner shrimp first though otherwise he comes and jacks my duncans

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals#post_3349224
I love hand feeding my duncans. good times.
Gotta feed the cleaner shrimp first though otherwise he comes and jacks my duncans
I figure I will be doing this the same time I feed the bubble so it wont be too bad. The cleaner comes up to my hand when I feed the bubble, but he stays away from the dropper with the food.

J

jstdv8

I feed them all krill, the shrimp gets his first, he pulls the piece down into his cave and then the duncans have about 20 minutes to themselves to get thiers in thier mouth far enough to where he can't mess with it anymore LOL

monsinour

as of 12:44 am eastern, the coral arrived in memphis. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival on my front porch tomorrow morning. I sure hope the batteries I have in the camera don't die.
edit: as of 8 am the coral is on the truck ready for delivery, woo hoo!

monsinour

The driver came at 10:20 am and didnt bother to knock or have me sign for anything. He also totally disregarded the up arrows on the box. Nice to see that the trained monkeys handle the packages just as well as FedEx. I am glad I was watching for the truck because if I wasnt, I would have never known that the box was on the porch. It is 32 F out there and currently freezing rain is falling. Anyway, enough of the griping. Here is what the box looks like:

and here is what is on the inside. I havent ever gotten coral or anyhting alive for that matter shipped to me so I am unsure as to what to expect about the packaging. There were 2 heat packs in the box that were still both warm. The water in the bags were also warm.

As I am pulling things out of the box, there were 4 smaller bags inside one larger bag with no shadded bag. There was a little water in the big bag but nothing to get worried about i think. I placed them into the tank floating and will start acclimating them. Here they are floating:

But what strikes me as odd is that there are 4 bags. I ordered 3 pieces and there are 4 bags. It looks like there is some kind of xenia or kenya tree in there that I didnt order. Maybe its a "place an order and get a free coral" kind of thing. Didnt see anything like that on the site and nothing showed up on the order. When I take everything out of the smaller bags and actually place them into the tank, I will get a better idea of what it all is. These smaller bags is going to make it hard to get the water in and out for acclimation purposes. I guess I need a real specimen container, or 4. LOL

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals#post_3351305
Since you bought zoanthids, I would highly recommend dipping them....
dipping them in???? I completely forgot that. SO I guess I should put them into the QT first then eh?
After the first round of water changes I have spotted a few things.
1. All the smaller bags were tripple bagged. That seems like a nice touch.
2. the water is warm which makes me think that my heater is really out of whack with its temp settings. Gotta "fix" it.
3. It is looking more and more like a kenya tree than xenia in the 4th bag. Anyone have a pic of a "closed" kenya tree that is small? It doesnt look like the pic in the other post about the deflating kenya tree. The polyps look like xenia, but they are not all close together like my xenia. It looks like single stalks here and there.

meowzer

You can dip them in fw if you do not have any lugols..put them in and give them a little shake.....I got some zoas that had the BAD snails on it....only after I saw that, did I keep it in a qt tank...I did that for a month to make sure I got rid of them all.

monsinour

I would imagine that the FW should be the same temp as the tank water yes? We wouldnt want to harm them. Should I also dip the duncans? I am going to need to improve my vision to see the really small stuff on the coral. There are plenty of "crap" floating in the bags. I am doing my best to make sure the "crap" comes out as I change out the water in the bags.

meowzer

Yes, you want the temp the same, we don't want to shock them...LOL
Do you own a magnifying glass? It is best to examine them thru one of them

btldreef

Same temp is best. I've done slightly cooler, didn't make too much of a difference.
I don't FW dip duncans or most LPS. I do QT all my corals, because I'm insane (flatworms have scarred me for life), but Duncans are pretty safe, you can see most stuff clearly on them if there is anything.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals#post_3351326
Yes, you want the temp the same, we don't want to shock them...LOL
Do you own a magnifying glass? It is best to examine them thru one of them

My glasses count as a magnifying glass, but alas to me the just make things clear. The wife is out enjoying her xmas present at the day spa. I got her a 60 minute massage, 40 minute facial, manicure and pedicure. She doesnt want the pedicure so she is going to have to go back for something else on another day, boohoo. If she were here she could probably see better than I. I will have to do the best I can with what I have.
I futz with my heater and will be plugging it in soon to see if I got it to work correctly. I have to wait for the tank to cool down to where I want it before I plug it in.
BTW, does someone want to chime in about the packaging? Is it normal, sub par, above par? Again, I havent ordered live stuff and had it sent to me. I am planning a SWF.com order once I get back from atlanta with the new grooming van. I would like something to compare it too.

monsinour

Here are pics as they acclimate in my tank. these are better pics with the only light source the sunlight coming in through the window to the left. First up, the mystery coral

Next up are the duncans

Next up is the ricordea

And finally, the zoas

What i am pointing to sure looks like a zoa eating nudi but I havent gotten a real good look. I cant tell if it is moving, or what it really is to be honest. Anyone want to take a guess while its still in the bag?

meowzer

NO...LOL....
WOW...10 heads on that duncan....what did you say you paid for it???
mystery is probably xenia or cloves