Ordered new corals

J

jstdv8

the polyp right on the top is multicolored, definatley not tubbs blue, nice piece there, the tubbs are cool too :)

J

jstdv8

agreed, they certainly look like tubbs blues to me, but not the polyp on top, i want it LOL

monsinour

I took a closer look at the zoos, watching them open really, and there are 2 heads like the "rainbow" one right next to one another. I havent glued the piece down yet so I might be rotating it so those 2 pieces are closer to the front of the tank.
The duncans are trying to come out, the tentacles on the edges are coming out and some ofthe mouths are open. Cant wait until tomorrow when I think they will be fully open.
the mystery coral sure looks like xenia. Like that stuff you see in your LFS coral display tank that has attached itself to the egg crate that when you ask the salesperson about they go,"dunno how it got there and dunno how to get it off of there, you want some?" It is attached to "flakes" of rocks so I can glue it down. Does it grow like the pulsing xenia i have? If it does, I have to think real hard about where to put it then.
I would assume that its ok for ricordea polyps to touch one another yes? If not, I gotta move the new one over some.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/40#post_3351606
I took a closer look at the zoos, watching them open really, and there are 2 heads like the "rainbow" one right next to one another. I havent glued the piece down yet so I might be rotating it so those 2 pieces are closer to the front of the tank. You may want to consider fragging these so the two species are not together. I have seen different types of zoanthids overtake each other and kill the weaker of the two many times in my colonies.
The duncans are trying to come out, the tentacles on the edges are coming out and some ofthe mouths are open. Cant wait until tomorrow when I think they will be fully open. They can be a bit finicky until they adjust to your tank/lighting/inhabitants. Try offering them some mysis, that might entice them to come out a little. I feed my duncans every day and that has seemed to work as far as getting them to be less sensitive about fish swimming past, etc.
the mystery coral sure looks like xenia. Like that stuff you see in your LFS coral display tank that has attached itself to the egg crate that when you ask the salesperson about they go,"dunno how it got there and dunno how to get it off of there, you want some?" It is attached to "flakes" of rocks so I can glue it down. Does it grow like the pulsing xenia i have? If it does, I have to think real hard about where to put it then. Yup, it will grow like a weed.

I would assume that its ok for ricordea polyps to touch one another yes? If not, I gotta move the new one over some. Ricordia can touch each other.

mylady

I think we got a pretty good deal on all the corals.
The Duncans as stated were $34
The ricordea was $14.98
The zoos were $12 something
Still very new to buying corals but we both think the prices were very reasonable, even with shipping.

mylady

Here are the duncans. I have seen them come out and close back up so I think it will be better tomorrow.

Hubby was going to post it if I didn't so I'll come clean. Yes, I asked him if these didn't look like a bunch of rectums next to our testicle coral.

monsinour

so, if i take a scalpel and cut those 2 zoa heads off and use the superglue gel and stick them, cut side down into the gel, onto a frag plug, I should be ok? I am nervous about this and I kind of need a shove.

monsinour

I have no idea where my gloves are but i will be sure to wear gloves. I just need to know what kind of gloves to wear. Surgical gloves, powderless?

J

jstdv8

yes, just don't cut the stalk, always cut right at the base or even cut away a bit of the rock around the base and glue that.

1snapple

Yea, what Jstdv8 said. Use the smallest amount of glue as you can.
Try to gently pry the base off of the rock.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/40#post_3351821
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=fragging+zoanthid+coral#q=fragging+zoanthid+coral&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=bz84TZ6TCoO78gbstKHpCg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CEMQqwQwBA&fp=b4b92bb933e84f76
couldnt make that a lmgtfy.com thing? I was really hoping someone would call me on it. LOL
edit: I get the just of it and always had the jist of how to do it. I am nervous about doing it as I dont want to mess it up. I need a little shove in the direction of "just doo it you baby!"

mproctor4

I was nervous the first time too. It is no big deal. My poor hubbie came home from work one day and was missing several small chunks of zoas from his tank. He probably wouldn't have noticed but he saw them in my tank. I had one I accidently cut in half with my thumbnail and it has grown back into 2 zoa heads.
I really like all of the plants/macro algea in your tank. I have tangs so will have to just admire yours.
You got great prices on your coral! Could I please beg you to PM me the web site. I would really appreciate it.