Ordered new corals

btldreef

My guess is zoanthid eating nudibranch, exactly why I said to dip. Every single time I get zoanthids from a store and more than 50% of the time that I get them from someone's tank, they have sundial snails and/or nudibranchs in them.
the mystery coral looks like xenia to me.

monsinour

10 heads for $34.
And I guess my vision is better than I give myself credit for:

Fell right off in the FW. I then studied the zoa piece as best i could looking for egg sacks, and other critters. Didnt see any. Will post pics with the lights on once I get back from my interview/luncheon.

flower

Congratulations! Ordering on line opens a whole new world on stuff you couldn't get from a LFS. Those duncans are awesome.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351420

Congratulations! Ordering on line opens a whole new world on stuff you couldn't get from a LFS. Those duncans are awesome.

LOL, Like what?

Like Zoas and all the array of choices, like Sea fans, sea pens and muti colors of fan worms. Choices of seahorses should one choose to go that route. Purple corky fingers and the like. There are so many critters in the ocean, and most stores only carry a few choices. Most times I find a coral from a book, do research and then go looking for it. 99.99% of the time it isn't in any nearby stores.
Oh and for the record, no LFS around me has Duncans. In fact I have seen only a tiny frag of a blasto. Never even seen a hairy mushroom until Loopy101 from this site gave me one.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351492

Like Zoas and all the array of choices, like Sea fans, sea pens and muti colors of fan worms. Choices of seahorses should one choose to go that route. Purple corky fingers and the like. There are so many critters in the ocean, and most stores only carry a few choices. Most times I find a coral from a book, do research and then go looking for it. 99.99% of the time it isn't in any nearby stores.
Oh and for the record, no LFS around me has Duncans. In fact I have seen only a tiny frag of a blasto. Never even seen a hairy mushroom until Loopy101 from this site gave me one.
Blastos are even hard to find online....nice ones anyway

J

jstdv8

yes, i understand there are lots of different corals to be had, but have you asked thee LFS to bring in the corals you are looking for? or the fish?
I would think a place like Living Sea in Park ridge or Sailfin pets in Champaign would absolutley do that for you.
I guess I kinda get spoiled that way becasue in Alaska thats how nearly all of it is done due to the fact that that shipping for one or two corals would cost more than the corals themselves so its more cost effective to let the LFS bring them in from thier suppliers and they pay a one time shipping fee that gets worked into the cost of each coral. saves the customers alot of cash.
Two advantages i like about this sytem.
1.) you are supporting local bussiness and furthermore local fish stores who without your bussiness would go out of bussiness leaving you nowhere to go gawk at corals face to face
and 2.) I like to see the corals and what they look like before i buy them
Just my opinion and maybe i'm biased because it cost so much to do it the way you and Meo do.
I'm not talking about the *****'s of the world I'm talking about locally owned fishstores with knowlegeable staff and clean tanks and no dead fish floating around getting munched on by the CUC
I know some of you live a ways away from civilization so thats understandable, but i might go insane if i couldnt go to the LFS here nearly every day and gawk at the new arrivals!

meowzer

OH JSTDV8...You have no idea how much I would love to go to a LFS......and I also believe in supporting local business.....In my case though, there are none :( Even my notsolfs that is 90 miles away can not get what I am looking for a lot of the time....heck I have been trying to bring him some frags, and he still has no tank set up for them

IMO you guys are the lucky ones when it comes to lfs and availability

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351496
yes, i understand there are lots of different corals to be had, but have you asked thee LFS to bring in the corals you are looking for? or the fish?
I would think a place like Living Sea in Park ridge or Sailfin pets in Champaign would absolutley do that for you.
I guess I kinda get spoiled that way becasue in Alaska thats how nearly all of it is done due to the fact that that shipping for one or two corals would cost more than the corals themselves so its more cost effective to let the LFS bring them in from thier suppliers and they pay a one time shipping fee that gets worked into the cost of each coral. saves the customers alot of cash.
1.) you are supporting local bussiness and furthermore local fish stores who without your bussiness would go out of bussiness leaving you nowhere to go gawk at corals face to face
Just my opinion and maybe i'm biased because it cost so much to do it the way you and Meo do.
I'm not talking about the *****'s of the world I'm talking about locally owned fishstores with knowlegeable staff and clean tanks and no dead fish floating around getting munched on by the CUC
I know some of you live a ways away from civilization so thats understandable, but i might go insane if i couldnt go to the LFS here nearly every day and gawk at the new arrivals!

I do indeed buy locally..whenever I can for the very reasons you mention. However, I don't like making an "order" why should I pay a middle man to get a critter? Plus the poor critter gets moved 2Xs instead of once. I check the LFS first..then I go online.
I have one place with a good selection, I won't buy a thing from him..I don't want all that hair algae in my tank, I told him so too. My ***** only has freshwater fish. I have a place in Lake Genva..30 miles away...When I go there, I clean him out of coral.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351405
Still waiting for things to come out and say hello
that was my wife posting that. I knew that they wouldnt be open at this point. I am looking forward to tomorrow when I think they all will be open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351412
LOL....May take a while.....I have had things open in the bag, and others take a couple of days :(
Yea, that is what I am thinking. Let me go take some pics of them in the tank. Its been 3 hours now that they have been in the tank. BRB.....
edit: further proof that our lighting isnt what its cracked up to be. This is the ricordea as it is in our tank. Notice how it doesnt even closely resemble the colors in the pic in the first post.

Here are the duncans. I have seen them come out and close back up so I think it will be better tomorrow.

And here are the zoos. On the order site, they looked blue. Here they are in our tank as purple

I will make a post about the lighting so I can get assistance in getting the lighting right with what equipment we have.

J

jstdv8

Was the two places i listed a ways away from where you are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/thread/383118/ordered-new-corals/20#post_3351496

I do indeed buy locally..whenever I can for the very reasons you mention. However, I don't like making an "order" why should I pay a middle man to get a critter? Plus the poor critter gets moved 2Xs instead of once. I check the LFS first..then I go online.
I have one place with a good selection, I won't buy a thing from him..I don't want all that hair algae in my tank, I told him so too. My ***** only has freshwater fish. I have a place in Lake Genva..30 miles away...When I go there, I clean him out of coral.

J

jstdv8

I'm gonna be mean and go home and take a picture of my sunset monti and my duncans just for Meo LOL

monsinour

I think everything is adjusting and I probably wont see much of anything until tomorrow. Will update this tomorrow with pics.

monsinour

I just got an email from the store and they sent me a pic of the zoos. I have edited the first post with that picture.

J

jstdv8

The main zoas are tubbs blue, but what did they call the polyp on the very top? its got some nice color to it. Rainbow raptors?