Photo Contest Rules and Regulations

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/20#post_3325318
I don't have a suggestion for a topic, BUT...I would like to suggest something else..
Is there any way that you can make a setting so that only people with a certain amount of post counts, OR they have to be a member for 30 days could vote?
I think you know why I am bringing this up, especially if you look at the last poll :(
I, would love to see this take off as a fun thing for us.
I absolute agree, and will not be submitting photos or voting until this is changed. I also don't think the members names need to be attached to the photos in the final poll. Make people vote for the picture, it's a photo contest, not a popularity contest, and I think that is turning a lot of people off to the whole thing as well. I know on sites that I mod or have modded on in the past, this is always an issue.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/20#post_3325315
Any suggestions for photo topics?
Just some thoughts, because I'm bored...
- Nano fish
- Nano reef (less than 30G)
- Large Reef (over 125G)
- FOWLR tank shot
- Schooling fish
- Anemone
- Symbiotic Relatioship (pistol shrimp/goby, urchin/pipefish, etc)
- Display Refugium (this seems like it's odd, but we ran this on another forum, and I was amazed at what some people had)
- Rare Corals
- Subcategories of fish, for example: Best Tang, Mandarin, etc

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/20#post_3325318
I don't have a suggestion for a topic, BUT...I would like to suggest something else..
Is there any way that you can make a setting so that only people with a certain amount of post counts, OR they have to be a member for 30 days could vote?
I think you know why I am bringing this up, especially if you look at the last poll :(
I, would love to see this take off as a fun thing for us.
Another suggestion that I think should be made is that people can only win the weekly contest once in a monthly period. I think it would be more fair in the monthly vote. For example, if one person wins 2 weekly contests, they already have a 50% chance of winning the monthly contest.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. I understand the frustration on a few issues here. I am listening and will clarify and change some rules. The point of the Photo Contest is to attract some new people and create some excitement surrounding contests in general. We would like to keep the contest open to everyone. Newer and Older members should be able to submit and vote. I agree that someones popularity should not affect the outcome. I posted names next to the photo numbers because people were confused which photo went to each number. You will notice that this weeks poll only has numbers. I will continue a number only sequence to deter a popularity issue. The thing I agree with most is that we need to instate a new rule that you may only win once a month. Because I just started a new poll, this rule will start for week 9.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/40#post_3325349
Ok. I understand the frustration on a few issues here. I am listening and will clarify and change some rules. The point of the Photo Contest is to attract some new people and create some excitement surrounding contests in general. We would like to keep the contest open to everyone. Newer and Older members should be able to submit and vote. I agree that someones popularity should not affect the outcome. I posted names next to the photo numbers because people were confused which photo went to each number. You will notice that this weeks poll only has numbers. I will continue a number only sequence to deter a popularity issue. The thing I agree with most is that we need to instate a new rule that you may only win once a month. Because I just started a new poll, this rule will start for week 9.
I understand in trying to attract new comers. The issue comes in to play, when you have people come on, post "Great Pic" as their first post, vote for someone, and then never come on the forum again. I'm interested to see whether those same people come back for this weeks contest if the person in question posts a picture. This is an issue on many forums that run contests, and usually there is a rule that you need to be a member for at least a month or have a certain number of posts. It keeps it much more fair and there is less drama involved. If you want to attract new comers, you must also want to keep the older people that keep the board moving interested as well. Newcomers that are only here to win a contest and leave aren't really participating in the forum, and a post count rule would keep this from happening.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/40#post_3325363
I understand in trying to attract new comers. The issue comes in to play, when you have people come on, post "Great Pic" as their first post, vote for someone, and then never come on the forum again. I'm interested to see whether those same people come back for this weeks contest if the person in question posts a picture. This is an issue on many forums that run contests, and usually there is a rule that you need to be a member for at least a month or have a certain number of posts. It keeps it much more fair and there is less drama involved. If you want to attract new comers, you must also want to keep the older people that keep the board moving interested as well. Newcomers that are only here to win a contest and leave aren't really participating in the forum, and a post count rule would keep this from happening.
+1

monsinour

Dont we all have clowns? Why not a contest for the best clown pic? And setting up restrictions on new accounts will prevent people from creating accounts just to vote in a poll. Let them create new accounts all they want. Just prevent new accounts from voting in polls for a period of one month. Then have your auto account deleter run at 29 days. This way if the account is created and never accessed again, in 29 days, it gets removed. This will prevent people from creating accounts now for voting purposes next month when this whole shebang finalizes in the grand finale vote.

btldreef

Well now we have people posting multiple pictures, and the name of the thread is "Nano Fish" but then in it we're told to post pictures of fish that need a MINIMUM of 30G. The contest is a mess, I'm sorry, but it is. If this is going to go on any further, I think there are quite a few things that need to be addressed.

sparty059

I also feel you shouldn't be able to post any pictures if you don't have a minimum of 100 posts yourself. I know you're trying to get new people on the forum, but how can we be sure that someone isn't just coming to the forum with a picture off of the internet and claiming it's theirs? If you have over 100 posts most people have a feel for who you are, what you're trying to accomplish here, and what you have in your tank... or if you even have a tank.
I think this contest has a wide gap for error and it's unfortunate because it's meant to reward people for doing a good job on their tank and being responsible and sharing with everyone else. I just think you'll get the people on here that are here for the contest and will be finished with the board as soon as this ends.

ryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/40#post_3325675
Well now we have people posting multiple pictures, and the name of the thread is "Nano Fish" but then in it we're told to post pictures of fish that need a MINIMUM of 30G. The contest is a mess, I'm sorry, but it is. If this is going to go on any further, I think there are quite a few things that need to be addressed.
I think the "MINIMUM" was a typo. I dont think anyone has posted a fish that cant go in a nano.

ryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/40#post_3325681
I also feel you shouldn't be able to post any pictures if you don't have a minimum of 100 posts yourself. I know you're trying to get new people on the forum, but how can we be sure that someone isn't just coming to the forum with a picture off of the internet and claiming it's theirs? If you have over 100 posts most people have a feel for who you are, what you're trying to accomplish here, and what you have in your tank... or if you even have a tank.
I think this contest has a wide gap for error and it's unfortunate because it's meant to reward people for doing a good job on their tank and being responsible and sharing with everyone else. I just think you'll get the people on here that are here for the contest and will be finished with the board as soon as this ends.
If im not mistaken, every winner has had 100+ post.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Please understand that everyone is entitled to one submission and one vote per weekly contest. I have been authorized to run this contest in this specific way. If you want to vote for yourself or have all of your friends vote for you, you may do so. In the end this is a contest. It is supposed to be fun, light and upbeat. There are too many different opinions for me to cater to just one. Please understand. Thank you.

monsinour

screw it, just hand out $25 gift certificates to those who complain the most and be done with it. LOL
Unless there is a way to restrict voters, there is really no point in complaining. I can start a bot and make accounts non stop for like an hour and have enough votes to make who I want, win. And yes there are ways around all the "anti-bot" security features.

swfishy

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question. Why does it matter if the person who votes is along time member or a one time visitor? Does it make their opinion any less than any of yours? This is a hobby we all share- not just the regulars on the forums. Anybody who is in this hobby can share their opinion. That's what we want. Maybe they will stay in the forums because they felt welcomed to share their opinion.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFishy http:///forum/thread/380356/photo-contest-rules-and-regulations/40#post_3325770
I have a question. Why does it matter if the person who votes is along time member or a one time visitor? Does it make their opinion any less than any of yours? This is a hobby we all share- not just the regulars on the forums. Anybody who is in this hobby can share their opinion. That's what we want. Maybe they will stay in the forums because they felt welcomed to share their opinion.
I think the impression that is being given off is that people are creating accounts for the sole purpose to vote for a specific pic and that is it.
Like I said, I can start up a bot and make a tone of accounts and vote for whomever I wanted to win. It really makes no difference to me.