Pics of my 600 Gallon Being Installed!!!!

maxalmon

Awesome...... I just came across a used tank in the paper that is very close to the one you now have, the guy had about 35k invested, divorce was forcing sale of the tank and he wanted 7500k for the whole thing, it was a custom tank made by ATM (Vegas custom manufacturer) very high end equipment. I kinda was back and forth and still thinking about it, he called several days ago and said that he would take 6000k cash, but I went with another "Divorce" tank a little smaller (180g). Funny thing about Las Vegas, you get so many people with money in this town who live by the rule of "money is no object" they spent a fortune on awesome tanks, findout how much they cost to maintain, a few fish die off and then they are over it, then it's clearance sale time in the paper. .....................
Can't wait to see the future photos, congrats and it looks awesome....

mystic7

Originally Posted by Yimmy
I'm also not sure about this but theres a person who has a shark in their reef.
Jimmy
That would be "sharkinthetank" who I met last weekend. He's got a 4,000 gallon tank if I remember correctly. Can't wait to see it in person.
Frank please send me the link to the website as well when it's up and running.

yimmy

Thought it might have been a bigger tank. It was either a Lep or a bamboo shark he had I don't remember...i thought bamboos were safe and some species would do great in a 600.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by Frank2005
i sort of just woke up one morning and decided i wanted a larger tank then the one i had which is a 150 gallon....so i called up a contractor and had him draw me up plans for a new addition and figured out the size of the tank i wanted and then called todd who was the one who designed the fish tank for me and i had everything ordered within the next 2-3 days and the construction on my house started about a week later
holy crap- talk about spontenaity- i have enough problems saying "honey, i want this new fish", let alone "honey, i want a bigger tank, so im going to build an addition to the house"
tank looks really good- i think a tank that size would really rock if it was a fowlr- maybe 3-4 lookdowns, or a nice long-horn cowfish.

maxalmon

What type of frame is under the tank, I always thought that just about anything over 300g should have a metal frame, tank weighs 1000lb, 1000lb+ of sand/rock, maybe 2600lb water minus rock volume and pretty soon your at 2 TONS + of weight. Is it a metal frame surrounded by the woobbase? Just from the photos didn't see much frame work....

peter1215

yeah if anyone is ever in the south jersey area and would like to come over and see it i wouldnt mind...and right now i think im running cost wise about 25,000 dollars for the tank, stand, canopy, all the components, not sure how many bags but enough to have a 5-7 inch sand bed, and 1000 lbs of live rock...i have a feeling im going to need more live rock and that price is without any live stock so by the time this is done i can probably look towards spending a total of about 50,000 dollars....and this is a small tank considering what im looking at getting in about 10-15 years...im moving and in the house im building im going to put at least a 1000+ tank and a couple 500+ tanks....
Hi Frank
I'm located in central Jersey(middlesex county) and would love to go see your tank when its up and running . my email is pistolpete1215@yahoo. I'm doing some contrlollers work for an investment bank on wall st.

peter1215

Frank
have you tried tropiquarium in ocean , NJ .on rt.35, they have a nice selection . There is a shop called absolutley fish in clifton that have the best fish I've seen in NJ,. Ive never seen sick fish in their tanks . let me know if you want their website. or email me at pistolpete1215@yahoo.com

frank2005

apparently the frame of the stand for the tank isnt metal framed it has something to do with the way the wood runs the builder said....so the weight is spread evenly and i dont know the designer/builder knows more than me he designed it...i just get to make it look pretty... :cheer: but yeah let me get my site a little more up and i should be able to post the link tonight...if i can figure out how to get a guest book you all have to sign it!!!!

frank2005

heres the site i started www.amazingtanks.com theres not much on there yet but i started my stock list of what i want to put into my tank...so if you guys could check that out for me and tell me what you think...id appreciate it couldnt find a guest book on the publisher program that i use....

phsyco

Did Todd head home yet? I have some work for him when he gets back... I still need a face placte for my in wall fishtank.

mystic7

heres the site i started www.amazingtanks.com theres not much on there yet but i started my stock list of what i want to put into my tank...so if you guys could check that out for me and tell me what you think...id appreciate it couldnt find a guest book on the publisher program that i use....

Here ya go http://www. website toolbox . com/tools/guestbook.html
Just remove the spaces. If they don't censor it, here's the link
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tools/guestbook.html

mystic7

Nevermind. It's only free for one week. Are you familiar with PHP? There's lots of free guestbooks written in PHP.

crox

Frank
if you don't mind asking but approximately what was the cost for the tank and stand alone. Including all the plumbing?
Thank you.

creative

Originally Posted by creative
Hey Frank,
Do you mind if I watch the website?
Talk to you soon.
Todd
Oh by the way the main framework is 1 1/2" laminated maple. That is as strong as many steel frames.

agent707

Originally Posted by maxalmon
What type of frame is under the tank, I always thought that just about anything over 300g should have a metal frame, tank weighs 1000lb, 1000lb+ of sand/rock, maybe 2600lb water minus rock volume and pretty soon your at 2 TONS + of weight. Is it a metal frame surrounded by the woobbase? Just from the photos didn't see much frame work....
2 tons? Salt water alone weighs ~8.5 lbs/gallon. -600gallons, there's 5000lbs of just water.
Replace some water with rock and you can crank that up a few notches...
I'd say the whole thing will weigh at least
3½ tons. (7000 lbs for the math challenged).
That much weight on a wooden frame? :notsure:
I don't see "THAT MUCH" wood underneath it myself. Look at this pic.

Notice the small piece of wood between the doors. That's it?
Frank, I don't question the guys Stand building skills, looks beautiful! However, I do think maxalmon brought up a good point. I would at least have an engineer look at it before I filled it with water. It may be indeed sturdy enough, but the pictures we can see don't really show that.
Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a second "expert" opinion. That top tank alone WILL weight in excess of 2½ TONS.