Pics of my new 533 gallon tank

myreef05

Originally Posted by fastazzr1
i was told that water weighs 7 pounds a gallon....if true then thats only 3731 lbs....thats not bad...but that stan i have will hold it with no problem....

No, fresh water weighs exactly 8.34 lbs. a gallon.

rara12

If you dont mind me asking, about how much did it cost for the tank. Im really looking into getting a large tank and yours is about the dimensions i was looking for. Ive been working alot and saving lots of $$$ so do you think that $3,000 would be enough for a tank that size? For just the tank that is. Thanks in advance and if you would rather not say what you payed thats fine.

fastazzr1

azgril....yep, its a lion
reefdweeler... i spent $230 for all the metal for the stand
rara....my tank cost me $4500 to have built. but if you want to build your own tank i found out that all the material cost around $2000-$2500. if i ever want to go to a bigger tank i'm going to build it myself. found the instructions online. i know it wont be easy but i would like to give it a try.
anyway....here's some pics of the tank on the stand now....i'll be drilling and plumbing it tomorrow....will keep you up to date.

newtankman

Sea water weighs more then pure water.
Pure water: 62.4 lb per cu ft
Sea water: 64.08 lb per cu ft ave.
Sg will make a difference in the weight a little.

fastazzr1

Originally Posted by newtankman
Sea water weighs more then pure water.
Pure water: 62.4 lb per cu ft
Sea water: 64.08 lb per cu ft ave.
Sg will make a difference in the weight a little.
so how much does sea water weigh per gallon?

zsqure

If a gallon is 231 cu-in and a cubic foot is 1728 cu-in then there are 7.48052 gallons in a cubic foot which equates to (64.08/7.48052=) 8.56625lb/gal. but this is only a rule of thumb, then you must figure the deviation of "
your" water from the sg of "seawater"...after a few beers who cares. lets see the fish!

newtankman

Originally Posted by zsqure
If a gallon is 231 cu-in and a cubic foot is 1728 cu-in then there are 7.48052 gallons in a cubic foot which equates to (64.08/7.48052=) 8.56625lb/gal. but this is only a rule of thumb, then you must figure the deviation of "
your" water from the sg of "seawater"...after a few beers who cares. lets see the fish!

reefdweler

WOW that tank looks great. Can't wait til I start with my new tank. Where did you get the metal, can it be bought at your local home improvent store? What would it cost to have it welded? ou did the welding yourself right?

fastazzr1

Originally Posted by reefdweler
WOW that tank looks great. Can't wait til I start with my new tank. Where did you get the metal, can it be bought at your local home improvent store? What would it cost to have it welded? ou did the welding yourself right?
i got the metal from a steel supply depot....i thought it cost me $230 to build but it was actually $330 to build....i dont know how it is in texas but you cant get metal like that from a local home improvement store....and yes, i welded it myself.

grownazzman

I do a little welding myself and i must say nice beads on the tubing and from all the comments you have recieved you already know that your tank is awwwsome.

fastazzr1

Originally Posted by GROWNAZZMAN
I do a little welding myself and i must say nice beads on the tubing and from all the comments you have recieved you already know that your tank is awwwsome.
thanx...

tangstank

Keep the pics comming..........this is a very interesting project to follow. I am getting hooked on to this thread.

fastazzr1

i havent looked into the auto top off yet but i will....here are some pics of the plumbing...not yet finished but here's where i am at now....ill be done tomorrow and ill have more pics then.

fastazzr1

finished the plumbing...now its time for some sand and lr.
i also like the black piping....it flows better than the white.

addicted2

I can't imagine having a tank that big! I could have anything I want...*thinking...my 75 is a challenge sometimes!

keep up the good work..it's going to be awesome I am sure!