Pot Bellied Seahorses

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/140#post_3470657
Love it! They look great. Can't wait to see the next batch!

They just arrived...They are smaller, both 3.5 inches. I must have gotten who was sending what mixed up. These look like two males to me...I'm looking thru a plastic bag so it's a little hard to tell..LOL.....My fate, 3 males and 1 female...that's what I had with the erectus, and that is what I have with the Kuda...
I'm going to drip acclimate, I was so nervous when I just floated the bag to match the temp then released them....Seahorse source says it's the best way but the male acted like it was shocked....
Pictures to come.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/160#post_3470667
Awesome! Heheh....you're gonna have them puffing up all the time I bet!
More Pictures..New arrivals
Well it's hard to tell the sex they are very young...here are the best pictures i could get for now..They are very fast.
Floating

Pouch???

Female shape but male markings. With a pot belly who knows.

I think I see a pouch

They move so fast.

mr. limpid

So these are the Pot Bellied in your 90gal tank? Do you have a full tank shot. So what makes them different from other SH, other than price tag and they live in cold water? They look long and lean. How many are you putting in the tank?

teresaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/160#post_3470679
So these are the Pot Bellied in your 90gal tank? Do you have a full tank shot. So what makes them different from other SH, other than price tag and they live in cold water? They look long and lean. How many are you putting in the tank?
These horses can reach 12 inches long with males being bigger. these are just babies, they are huge as adults

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/160#post_3470675
So these are the new ones? How are the other 2 doing today?
Hi,
The first two ate this morning and swam around a bit looking for any food they missed and went back to hiding...They are swimming good and strong...I love the shape of their heads. Freckles and Fred are doing very well, and I feel confident they will be fine.
One new guy is hanging on to a cord from the power head and the other on a fake coral. They are stressed and afriad to let go. The guy who shipped them had hardly any air at all in their bags, and nothing to hitch to. How they made it I still don't know. The one MIGHT be female, I don't see an obvious pouch but it is marked like a male. The famles are supposed to have fewer spots..mostly unmarked. Both new ones look like baby alligators they are so ringed and marked. They are half the size of yesterdays arrivals. They seem healthy enough and that's all I really care about.
I will feed them at 5:00 this evening and see if the new guys will eat for me. I acclimated them for an hour and they seem to be doing better than the others did yesterday by this time in the new digs.
Mr. Limpid,
Besides what Teresa told you about being the largest of the seahorses...Long and lean makes me laugh because they are pot bellies and will be so round and pudgy beyond belief as adults that they will look stuffed. Babies are born 1/2 inch in size. Thier tails are thicker and stronger and their back fin is much larger, they are very fast swimmers, not like my Kuda seahorses who seem to drift when they go free swimming...These guys can go from one side of the 90g (4 feet) in seconds...they stretch full out and go.
My dogs just started barking...the macros I ordered are here....gotta go

flower

UPDATE: More pictures
After calming from the big move to the new home... it turns out it's a girl, she lightened up...I don't have a name for these two.

Of all the four she eats the best and is the most active. I don't know where she puts all the food, she is the thinest. She almost looks like a pipefish.

Here is the smaller male, He ate this evening but will not leave that PH wire. So he is insecure. Of the four he is the smallest one, but he sure has a pouch.

Freckles stayed in the rocks to eat this evening, and I can't find Fred, he can really hide.
I added some more macros...one container was soft, smelly and rotten. I have to call the Gold coast eco systems to let them know.
The tank hardly looks different. The two smaller SHs are attached on the airline.

flower

More pictures if you want to look:
I added some caulerpa Prolifera, and the fancy seashell...they needed smaller hitches.

Only 3 came out where I could snap pictures tonight, the big boy would only show a head and go back to hunting food in the rocks.
The smallest male

Freckles was too hungry to stay hidden

The little fellow thinks he is in love

The smaller girl decided to pose for me.

Not the best picture but it shows his markings and he swelled his belly up for Freckles.

He really likes her.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/160#post_3470946
as they grow, you might try Pe
they may need it because they are so high energy horses.
I have never seen PE mysis...not that I ever looked for it. I found some freeze dried mysis but they wanted $20.00 a package...so I went back to the frozen Hikari, I will ask the breeder Sam....aside from what they are eating now he never mentioned what to feed adults...Thanks for the heads up, I will e-mail him now and ask.

flower

I asked Sam if I needed to feed PE mysis when the horses grew to adulthood...
Sam writes back that pot bellies get to be 12 inches because their tails grow longer. Maybe he is saying that pots are the same size as other horses just with longer tails???? So maybe the food stays the same??? I asked him for a better explanation and I haven't heard back since.

novahobbies

Well, FWIW I feed PE mysis to my H. erectus. I could be totally off base, but I think the nutritional value of PE mysis is a little better for growth than Hikari. Again, no scientific backing there, just observation from the horses. Mine certainly go after PE with much greater enthusiasm than they ever did with smaller mysis.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/160#post_3471060
Well, FWIW I feed PE mysis to my H. erectus. I could be totally off base, but I think the nutritional value of PE mysis is a little better for growth than Hikari. Again, no scientific backing there, just observation from the horses. Mine certainly go after PE with much greater enthusiasm than they ever did with smaller mysis.
Really...I will have to check it out and look some PE mysis next time I go for fish food (about once a month) Everyone always said Hikari was the best so that's what I got. Sam asked too what I fed them and I told him Hikari, and he said that's what he was feeding them. I was asking him if he changed up after they were older...maybe that's why he didn't understand my question and answered like he did.
So the PE is larger?

teresaq

they are larger and I feel you need less.
They come in a flat pack, I usually take it out and cut it into small squares and put in a zip lock bag. They are packed in less water and are frozen very dense so you get a lot of shrimp in a small square. They are also gut loaded with lots of good stuff.