schiavo

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody ever think that what is touted as science today, ends up being dead wrong 10 years from now? Science is an evolving study of "truths". 50 years ago, if your heart stopped beating, you were considered dead. And now, we know that is wrong.
I think if the family in unison agreed to disconnect the feeding tube, then that would be fine, but what exactly was the "point" for her husband, who has more than moved on in life, to go to these lengths and hurt this woman's family? This is a nightmare for her parents who will likely never recover.
If you do not want life support used, then the law requires you to put it in writing. And that is the way it should be. In this case, Terry was not on "life support". She was being feed via a feeding tube, just like so many others are. She was breathing on her own and even reacting to others. Didn't everyone see her face on TV a million times? To me she had her eyes open, she had eye movement, facial reactions and seemed to be responding to her family.
Bottom line, I don't see why her husband pursued this issue with such a vengence when her family was so opposed to it. If he wanted to move on, which he did anyway, then get a lawyer and get a divorce or whatever.
Everyone says when they able-bodied and healthy that they don't want to live that way.....but when it comes right down to it, does anyone other than the effected person have the right to pull tubes? How many of you would want your spouse, who had "moved on in life" to make that decision for you???

pontius

Beth, as usual, you are absolutely correct :)
Terri Schiavo is probably better off, but who can say? and I think it was handled all wrong. and since she was in this condition for 15 years, why did it need to be handled so quickly in this past month?
and I eat so much, my wife already wants to pull my feeding tube, and I'm 100% healthy.

bang guy

Originally posted by Beth
but what exactly was the "point" for her husband, who has more than moved on in life, to go to these lengths and hurt this woman's family?

The point was that she is his wife and she didn't want to be kept alive like that.
I wouldn't either and I really hope people wouldn't go to such incredible lengths to interfere with my wife if she is ever placed in a situation where she needs to fulfill my last wishes.
It must take incredible devotion to fight all that time to do what he believed was right when it would have been so easy for him to just walk away. Such devotion is very rare these days. So rare that it's no longer even recognised nor understood by most.

knots

Originally posted by Bang Guy
It must take incredible devotion to fight all that time to do what he believed was right when it would have been so easy for him to just walk away. Such devotion is very rare these days. So rare that it's no longer even recognised nor understood by most.

My question would be, what was he devoted to? My understanding is 15 years ago he didn't know what Terri would want to do. Then after the law suit was won, he all of a sudden remembers she wouldn't want to be kept alive. And remember this "devoted" husband cheated on his sick wife for 10 years, is living with the woman and has 2 kids. And what "devoted" husband would keep his wifes parents from seeing her as she is dying and posting security guards in her room. And then not allowing her parents to even go to her funeral. If this is what devotion means these days, I guess I am not very devoted to the people I love.
I have heard conflicting stories on just how much money is left, But my guess is he is very "devoted" to the money that is left and getting revenge on Terri's parents for making him use some of that money to get his way.

pontius

The point was that she is his wife and she didn't want to be kept alive like that.

Without a doubt, she was his wife until he became married by common law to another woman. So when that happened, is she really his wife anymore? And at what point did it become clear that she didn't want to be kept alive like that? there is no living will, no recorded interview, nothing. the only person she ever supposedly made that statement to was her husband, no proof as to whether or not it's even true.

bang guy

The court testimony stated that 5 people understood Terry's wish not to be kept alive by "artificial means". One of the people testifying was her mother another was her husband and 3 other friends.
There's definately room to argue what "artificial means" actually refers to but her wishes are really not in question. I'll agree that Terry should have documented what she actually meant. A feeding tube is artificial means only by a long stretch, I agree. Apparently her medical proxy (husband) made that stretch.
Florida considered them to be legally married until she died.
I hope everyone looks at this and writes down their "living will". Had Terry done this then we wouldn't be here wondering.

tangman99

Originally posted by Pontius
Without a doubt, she was his wife until he became married by common law to another woman. So when that happened, is she really his wife anymore? And at what point did it become clear that she didn't want to be kept alive like that? there is no living will, no recorded interview, nothing. the only person she ever supposedly made that statement to was her husband, no proof as to whether or not it's even true.

The only problem with that statement is that Florida is not a common law state. You can live together for 100 years in Florida and you not considered married.
I don't know what to think about this. Personally, I think her husband had other motives. There were witnesses that said he did not know what his wife wanted. I don't give a damn how many experts stand up and say that someone in her condition was in a vegitative state and could not feel pain. There is only way to know for sure and unfortunately the ones who know can't tell us any longer.

knots

I hope everyone looks at this and writes down their "living will". Had Terry done this then we wouldn't be here wondering.

Bang, I completely agree with you. We can go back and forth with facts and opinions and the only thing that really matters at this point is that we don't allow this to happen to our families. My wife and I have talked about it and we are definately going to get a living will soon. Whatever opinion any of us have about this subject, I to hope people will learn from this and do something before they forget about it.

lovethesea

must have in writing......MUST!!! This is why I said earlier in the post that it distured me that the government/state etc would try to intervene.......this would/could lead to what I/you have in writing to be undermined by anyone who decides to go against my wishes written or not.
Again, my Aunt deals with this type of situation all of the time. It goes un-noticed. Of course the parents didn't want to let their child go. Who does. Morphine is used all of time in these situations help slow things down. This is very commen....really!! Ask anyone in the field.
But she was gone years ago. No science is going to bring back a brain that is atropied. Even in 10 years.....would you want to be brought back almost 30 years after you "left this planet" only to be brought back? Maybe the brain could be sort of, but not the body.
No matter what we think of Mr. Shiavo, he has stuck to his guns no matter what. He has taken nothing in return. He has spent what they received in the malpractice on Terri's care. He started dating upon the urging of his in laws.
They are spending nothing on her. She is most likely on medicade and would have been until the end.
IMO....there will be books and "movie of the week" on this. And very soon. All by the Shiavo's.
People.....get in in wrting....... NOW!! Its cheap and easy and although not an easy topic, worth it in the end. Its the first thing ER's and hospitals ask for after who " is your power of attorney".

lefty

The greatest love of all is that in which one person cares so deeply for another that they will do whatever is in the best interest of that person. To put their own wants, needs, and desires behind those of the person they care for the most. Even if it means letting go.
-lefty

fishking

i dont c how starving a person to death isnt cruel but doing a lethal injection to put the person out quickly is, just my opinion

fishking

oh yea and her husband is a mean person, he didnt allow terry's parent in to see her just before she died:nope:

fishcrazy2

None of us should know this should have died in peace nobody should know about we all should have stayed out of this it none of are business andwe are fighting terry's life but where not fighting for the many abortions that go on EVERY DAY they are killed everyday why arent we fighting for there lifes there humans too!!!!!

pontius

I don't consider a 1 or 2 month old fetus to be a living, breathing human being. there are many that do not agree, but there is no disagreeing that Terri Shiavo was a living breathing human being. and whether or not one thinks she should have lived or died, I think it was incredibly sad for her to be starved to death for 2 weeks.

effloresce

actualy they are fetus, not humans, life dosent start until the first breath, call them what you want, thats like saying, "why not fight for the thousands of old people dieing everyday"
but if you wanna discuss abortion, thats a whole different topic.
fishcrazy, you might also wanna put in some punctuation marks next time.

T

tizzo

I didn't keep up with or even HEAR about this til she was dead so I hafta ask... How long was she in a coma again??
Pardon the ignorance, everybody and their brother prolly know this but I don't watch the news... i don't do drama well.
You guys handle it pretty well though. I am sure that if I knew even half the facts, it'd keep me up at night. UGH!!

T

tizzo

She was actually in a coma for 15 YEARS!!?? How old was she when she went into it??

tangman99

Dang Tizzo, you must have been on another planet or either locked away in a trunk not to have heard about this. :rolleyes:
It was really sad.

T

tizzo

After I saw this topic on the boards, I collected some info about it. But I hardly ever have the TV on and I listen to the radio, but I never heard them talk about this.
I have 3 kids!!! Yep, that pretty much locks me away from reality.
But judging by all the debate, I think it's good that I didn't know about it. Seems very controversial from what I've learned. Drama...did I mention, I don't do well with drama?