SCSInet's 180g Reef Build!

scsinet

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2470491
Monday is long gone...So you got some more now

True... sorry.
We are getting closer to startup, and honestly, I've been slack on my picture taking. But I do have a couple updates.
First, my live rock came in. 350lbs of it to be exact. I borrowed a couple of stock tanks from the Atlanta Reef Club to cure the rock, and set them up in my home office to use.

I laid out small rock in one, and large rock and flat rocks in the other.

Next, my chiller finally arrived. Badly damaged.
One bottom corner was crushed..

... but worse, the heat exchanger mount had broken off, leaving the heat exchanger flopping around inside the unit... held only in place by the refrigerant lines. I cried foul and the vendor agreed to send me another one.

Again, sorry for the crappy update... but I've been insanely busy lately (work... home, wedding). I've got another major update coming though... I promise!

scsinet

Originally Posted by blackaero1
http:///forum/post/2463610
This is one awesome build. SCSInet- I wish I had the foresight you have to build my tank like this from the beginning. Looks like you could go into business making custom setups for people if you had the time. I'm guessing if its anything like me, time is the biggest factor affecting this build. Did you get your acrylic from a local supplier or did you go with an internet based company? Also, just curious, if your so skilled at making stuff with acrylic, why not make the tank as well? I imagine it would have been cheaper that way.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of acrylic tanks. I've got one now and I'm so tired of babying it to keep it from getting scratched... and all it takes is one little chunk of gravel under a mag float....

I did get the acrylic from a local supplier... I did pretty good I think, at least for my area. It's a remnant... it used to be a 100x100" sheet. I got a 100" x 50" remnant of 3/8" cell cast for $200.
The 3/8" is so much more fun to work with than the 1/4 I'm used to. Plus, I always used extruded before when building sumps... but I swear this cell cast stuff cuts differently... I used the same blade, but it produces less melting, the blade cuts more cleanly, and the thickness IMO is just easier to manipulate.

t316

Is this chiller damage from the second shipment? I thought you mentioned a page or two back that chiller arrived damaged. Or is this the damage you were referring to back then?

scsinet

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2470715
Is this chiller damage from the second shipment? I thought you mentioned a page or two back that chiller arrived damaged. Or is this the damage you were referring to back then?
You're right... I did mention it... I had forgotten about that.
Anyway, at least now I have pics up of it.

hefner413

is the original chiller fixable? are you going to refurb and make some $?
are you going to do anything special with the rock formation? acrylic rods or something? building ledges or caves? or you going with the usual stack it up?

scsinet

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2470923
is the original chiller fixable? are you going to refurb and make some $?
are you going to do anything special with the rock formation? acrylic rods or something? building ledges or caves? or you going with the usual stack it up?
In order to get another one sent to me, I had to file a claim with UPS. At first, they told me that I'd get the damaged unit back, even if they paid a claim. I thought... SCORE! I could probably refurb it into a backup unit. I wasn't about to trust it as the main chiller, but a backup... why not?
But then as I tracked the package, I found it was on it's way back to the vendor, so the original information I got from UPS had to be false. Oh well.
For the rocks, my plan is to build a support structure out of PVC pipe to help support it. I change around the rocks often, and can never make things look right the first time, so I didn't want something as permanent as arcylic rods.
My hope is to have two large caves on either side of the tank for the fish to hide in. However, once I got all the rock into the cure tanks... now I'm looking at it... thinking... that's a lot of rock... I'm not sure there is going to be room in the tank for all this.
So we'll see what happens.

hefner413

yeah, I filed a claim w/ UPS once with a sale and the item went back to the seller. I guess that's how UPS is.
.. I'm excited to see what rock formation you have. I'm hoping to start my 180 next week. Should arrive Wed or Thurs.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2472466
yeah, I filed a claim w/ UPS once with a sale and the item went back to the seller. I guess that's how UPS is.
.. I'm excited to see what rock formation you have. I'm hoping to start my 180 next week. Should arrive Wed or Thurs.
Well I can see the logic... I mean... assuming it arrives completely destroyed, why should I have to deal with getting rid of it... if it arrives salvagable, and they pay a partial claim, and the seller gets the claim, why should I get a salvagable item?
Plus... there is fraud to consider... I as the recipient could easily file a false claim or break something in a fixable way on purpose to defraud them... so I can see that too.
I wasn't counting on keeping it anyway, so it was no biggie.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2472666
Well I can see the logic... I mean... assuming it arrives completely destroyed, why should I have to deal with getting rid of it... if it arrives salvagable, and they pay a partial claim, and the seller gets the claim, why should I get a salvagable item?
Plus... there is fraud to consider... I as the recipient could easily file a false claim or break something in a fixable way on purpose to defraud them... so I can see that too.
I wasn't counting on keeping it anyway, so it was no biggie.
It really depends on who is backing the claim with you. Usually a company will send you a new unit then take up shipping damage with the shipper.
I've claimed stuff through the post office, and it took almost 2 months from the time I turned in the claim to be paid. And they verified who the money was to go to several times. And gave a big lecture about how post office crimes were federal offenses.

yannifish

Wow, the chiller must have been badly bounced around during shipping. Nice rock though! And, you have the same tv as me!

scsinet

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2472803
It really depends on who is backing the claim with you. Usually a company will send you a new unit then take up shipping damage with the shipper.
I've claimed stuff through the post office, and it took almost 2 months from the time I turned in the claim to be paid. And they verified who the money was to go to several times. And gave a big lecture about how post office crimes were federal offenses.
I was so glad that they shipped a new unit without waiting for the disposition on the claim, and since I had already taken pics and documented everything, I didn't mind.
Personally, I found the packing method they used to be totally insufficient... they used a very low density foam that crushed really easy.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2473556
I was so glad that they shipped a new unit without waiting for the disposition on the claim, and since I had already taken pics and documented everything, I didn't mind.
Personally, I found the packing method they used to be totally insufficient... they used a very low density foam that crushed really easy.
I've never had a serious problem personally, but with Radioshack we consistantly had this problem with both UPS and Fed-Ex. Between us shipping items and us ordering them. Usually they required the return of the damaged item then they would look at it and try to return a replacement within 2 weeks. Then we would have to argue with fedex and ups yes we packed it right. Then they would say we shipped it right. Back and forth. Then they would pay up. It wouldn't work out with our customer hanging in the balance.